Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Attachments

• 95E4861F-1621-430F-8B35-D7D0B659B3D9.jpg
    95E4861F-1621-430F-8B35-D7D0B659B3D9.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 63
A PILGRIM 40 is quite an interesting boat.

A comfortable floating condo and ideal canal boat for coastal cruising!

Attachments

• Real Mountie Ancré.jpg
    Real Mountie Ancré.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 55
A comfortable floating condo and ideal canal boat for coastal cruising!

I was always fond of the Pilgrim 40. It's got a lot of real estate for the buck, IMO.

A friend has one and it seems to have its own mind at anchor compared with other boats. The small keel and long house and windage seem to combine for a hunting effect at anchor compared to surrounding 'normal' boats.

I watched my friend relocate one night due to it's precarious behavior in a fairly crowded anchorage in light-moderate winds against current. I've never seen another boat dance at anchor in such moderate conditions as that night.

Greetings FlyWright, I agree with you about dancing (swaying) this is why I use two snubbers tied to the port and starboard cleats to reduce the motion. I also had to relocate on many occasions and avoided crowdy anchorages. I accepted this handicap as a trade off with the comfort. In my years of cruising, I favoured anchoring as I used marinas for diesel and pump-out. The Pilgrim 40 met my needs and I got so much pleasure cruising around. Thank you for sharing your comments. Kind regards, Normand

William Garden

Such classics

Attachments

• images (2).jpeg
    images (2).jpeg
    8.5 KB · Views: 354
  • 1972-william-garden-philbrooks-trawler-jfr--1.jpg
    1972-william-garden-philbrooks-trawler-jfr--1.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 1948-william-garden-troller-conversion--2.jpg
    1948-william-garden-troller-conversion--2.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 49
So many of the 'interesting' wooden boat IMO should be used as plugs for molds and then turned into fiberglass hulls, for the future generation. The difficult part is finding a donor hull. SIGH

So many of the 'interesting' wooden boat IMO should be used as plugs for molds and then turned into fiberglass hulls, for the future generation. The difficult part is finding a donor hull. SIGH

Dan

Just throwing a long shot; i.e. a "Hull (Hail) Mary Pass" on Super Bowl weekend! Hoping for a touch (splash) down!! :thumb:

Couldn't a hull be wrapped in plastic. Then by crane "dipped" onto a hardening solution to create the initial female portion of the mold. From therein a hard male mold could be made [pun intended] and the two important sectors of new boat "berths" [err births] would be created; e.g., Eve and Adam!

The donor boat would be unwrapped of its plastic skin and cruise on! Owner of the "donor" would be handsomely reimbursed for his boats' temporary still time as well as its fertile ability to play boat-god for many of its oncoming offspring... that cruise into the future. :speed boat:

Last edited:
Dan

Just throwing a long shot; i.e. a "Hull (Hail) Mary Pass" on Super Bowl weekend! Hoping for a touch (splash) down!! :thumb:

Couldn't a hull be wrapped in plastic. Then by crane "dipped" onto a hardening solution to create the initial female portion of the mold. From therein a hard male mold could be made [pun intended] and the two important sectors of new boat "berths" [err births] would be created; e.g., Eve and Adam!

The donor boat would be unwrapped of its plastic skin and cruise on! Owner of the "donor" would be handsomely reimbursed for his boats' temporary still time as well as its fertile ability to play boat-god for many of its oncoming offspring... that cruise into the future. :speed boat:

Art, I really dont know if that is possible.
Of course there are legal issues.
Who owns the design too.
I just hate to see a classic, proven hull design 'lost'.

Greetings FlyWright, I agree with you about dancing (swaying) this is why I use two snubbers tied to the port and starboard cleats to reduce the motion. I also had to relocate on many occasions and avoided crowdy anchorages. I accepted this handicap as a trade off with the comfort. In my years of cruising, I favoured anchoring as I used marinas for diesel and pump-out. The Pilgrim 40 met my needs and I got so much pleasure cruising around. Thank you for sharing your comments. Kind regards, Normand

Normand,have you seen the book "Seven Miles an Hour" by Don Wallace? It was published by Skipper Bob some years ago. Stars Don's Pilgrim. Good read for anyone contemplating the trawler style cruising and living aboard life. He has a sense of humor too, fun book.

I always liked those boats too.

Hello George,

Yes I did read the book and have contacted Don Wallace when I was looking for the right boat that fit our needs. I was inspired and Don had a great influence in waiting for buying the right PILGRIM 40. I am of the opinion that who ever want to invest in a quality vintage FRB hull vessel with room for comfort and economical cruising... It is the ideal vessel. Lots of room to work in the engine compartment. It is truly a head turner...

Attachments

• Yachting Pilgrim 40 P0.jpg
    Yachting Pilgrim 40 P0.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Yachting Pilgrim 40 P1.jpg
    Yachting Pilgrim 40 P1.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 40
  • Yachting Pilgrim 40 P2.jpg
    Yachting Pilgrim 40 P2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 38
  • Yachting Pilgrim 40 P3.jpg
    Yachting Pilgrim 40 P3.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Yachting Pilgrim 40 P4.jpg
    Yachting Pilgrim 40 P4.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Here he is anchored in the background during a time-honored maritime salute. :socool:

Attachments

• FW and Pilgrim 40.jpg
    FW and Pilgrim 40.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 68
Here is a true beauty of a 50' Stephens sedan, raised deck sport fisher... for sale in a CL ad. I hunger for this boat but have no room in my life to do it justice.

Take a look - she's worth it... for someone!

Communications

Seller phone: (415) 860-4083

CL email address [to reach them]: 'ee2759850f483726aa1ceb722260b729@sale.craigslist.org'

CL ad: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bod/d/sausalito-stephens-sedan-classic-motor/7273692537.html

Although I know them not at all. Soon as I saw this boat on their ad [that was just placed today] I emailed them and told them I'd let folks in this forum know about it.

Tell them Art sent ya! Good Luck!!

I was once onboard the fibreglass Nordic Folkboat imported to Australia to be the plug for an Australian built Folkboat. It apparently survived the indignity,continuing life as a sturdy sailboat. Here`s a pic of one enjoying conditions made for a heavy long keel sailboat.
clas15-3151.jpg

"So many of the 'interesting' wooden boat IMO should be used as plugs for molds and then turned into fiberglass hulls, for the future generation. The difficult part is finding a donor hull. SIGH"

Common lore is this is how the TT industry began.

A Sea Wolf sail boat was offered a free hull paint job and a mold was pulled.

The hull was wracked so one side of the transom was 2 inches higher than the other , but the hulls were cheap and robust , so sold well.

Her name is Calliope.

Indeed with the original boat tender with sail! https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=cWlyeURSQU1NOVFidHh0Q1VWamppdllRMWhjWlNB

Cruising on a Pilgrim 40 is like owning a dog, according to Mary Holden, owner of a Pilgrim tug, Calliope, in San Francisco Bay. “You have to cultivate a sense of hospitality. We get met with curiosity everywhere we go. People stop you. If you’re a loner, this is not the boat for you,” Holden said.

https://www.passagemaker.com/lifestyle/lady-liberty-a-retro-trawler

Last edited:
One great advantage with the PILGRIM 40 with the full keel is the 3' 6" draft. My wife was having respiratory difficulties. I had to get to Treasure Cay medical clinic from NoName Cay at low tide and the shortest passage was the Don't me Rock passage. Usually, this is not the preferred route at the same time it was a medical emergency. Did the passage well. Got medical assistance and had taken a ambulance plane to Nassau Doctors Hospital. All went well with the assistance of great people from the Bahamas.

Attachments

• IMG_8832.jpg
    IMG_8832.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8834.jpg
    IMG_8834.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8837.jpg
    IMG_8837.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_8838.jpg
    IMG_8838.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8839.JPG
    IMG_8839.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8841.jpg
    IMG_8841.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8842.jpg
    IMG_8842.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8843.jpg
    IMG_8843.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8846.jpg
    IMG_8846.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_8847.jpg
    IMG_8847.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 38
For the 'Harbor Rats'. An intersting space concious craft. Not deep sea for sure, neat for bays and cove exploring.

Last edited:
Wow - I like that [2009] ol' design salt!

Last edited:
Surprising price?
This is a Wm. Garden designed Vic Frank boat.

Well, surprising for me at least - wooden hulls seem to go cheap regardless of their condition & pedigree. I was comparing it in my mind to a gorgeous & near-perfect wooden hull DeFever (49-ish I think?) I was drooling over that seemed to be on the market for a very long time at less than half that price as I recall.

That said, I'd take the Garden in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Art
Well, surprising for me at least - wooden hulls seem to go cheap regardless of their condition & pedigree. I was comparing it in my mind to a gorgeous & near-perfect wooden hull DeFever (49-ish I think?) I was drooling over that seemed to be on the market for a very long time at less than half that price as I recall.

That said, I'd take the Garden in a heartbeat.
That is the difference between California or Florida and Washington, Maine, and BC.

Wooden boats at a discount and wooden boats at a reasonable value.

Thank goodness, in cooler, damper, less populated climates, wooden boats still can hold their own.

I have never seen an Azimut Yacht in person where I live, nor do I care too. No need to have a bleach bottle within reach to disinfect my eyes...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom