Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe this one... IMG_20201004_101211.jpeg

Bow is different, more clipper, less plumb. But Mr Benford has a fairly profuse catalog of designs, so if not this one, one like it.

Howdy Fam. I was passing through Bay City Michigan this morning, and I saw this interesting craft. She’s been sitting on the hard here for a few years now, and I always mean to snap a pic, but never seem to get around to it. She looks like a motor sailor of some sort. She’s got a bowsprit and chainplates. Looks to be about 34-38 feet, and most likely fiberglass. Sorry for the potatophone quality pics, I was zoomed all the way in.

View attachment 108504View attachment 108505View attachment 108506

Hmmmm, another entry level boat. Looks seaworthy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-10-10 1977 Hatteras One of a kind Motor Yacht Power New and Used.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-10-10 1977 Hatteras One of a kind Motor Yacht Power New and Used.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 68
Kind of hard to find an interesting Hat, but this one seems over the top. I need to be careful to not show this to the admiral or my bank account will take a big hit. Maybe the owner should put it on Pinterest.

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1977/hatteras-one-of-a-kind-motor-yacht--3723385/

Well, I for one would never consider purchasing this vessel as there was a glaring omission in its overarching design philosophy; the colour palette and design scheme wasn't continued into the engine room. How gauche!

Last edited:
Kind of hard to find an interesting Hat, but this one seems over the top. I need to be careful to not show this to the admiral or my bank account will take a big hit. Maybe the owner should put it on Pinterest.
https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1977/hatteras-one-of-a-kind-motor-yacht--3723385/

Seeing this reminds me of a new Greenline 40 I saw at a Netherlands dealer some years back. It was being prepped for the owner and part of the prep work involved painting the hull entirely black. This was before Greenline was offering any hull color options. The boat was aptly named "RISTRETTO".

I noticed it on the market only about a year after this. I wonder if the owner got tired of the black hull showing up every single water spot. Since then, I've noticed a number of dark-hulled boats that, really, should never have left the showroom. They're a maintenance nightmare - if not for the water spots, then for UV damage/fading risks and poor wax-job risks.

Attachments

• GL40B.jpg
    GL40B.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Donsan - She's a beauty... TY for posting.

That's how our hull rides in similar sea conditions. Love the first photo! The 1977 Hatt is basically an enlarged design of our 1977 Tolly. Those wave conditions make it thrilling to pilot from an open bridge. However it can get wet enough up there so that going to lower helm becomes more comfortable.

I would like to own that boat!!

I wouldn't take that boat for free. I think it was owned by a clothing designer, hence the all black. It would take a small fortune to un-design it.
small tanks.
He had a piece of history and manage to totally screw it up.

Man - Of the last 4 posts - 3 don't get the picture.

IMO: That Hatt baby is a new work of art! - Art

Man - Of the last 4 posts - 3 don't get the picture.

IMO: That Hatt baby is a new work of art! - Art

Ok - fixed mine. GL40 is still in the shop, with tape around the bootstripe.

Greetings,
Mr. D. Interesting indeed BUT one look at the ER spaces immediately puts her in the "lipstick on a pig" category IMO. For that level of decoration, I would expect the ER to be pristine but it seems the machinery is in a distant second place. Says a LOT to me, in any case...

iu

Greetings,
Mr. D. Interesting indeed BUT one look at the ER spaces immediately puts her in the "lipstick on a pig" category IMO. For that level of decoration, I would expect the ER to be pristine but it seems the machinery is in a distant second place. Says a LOT to me, in any case...

Probably just a floating cocktail lounge. Taken out for "exercise" once a year, whether it needs it or not.

It would take a small fortune to un-design it.
small tanks.

It would take a small fortune just to paint it white again!

I was led to believe the Hats had built in FRP tanks. If it is 2 tanks at 330 gallons each, that is not too bad. I doubt if the tanks were changed from original.

He had a piece of history and manage to totally screw it up.

:lol::lol::lol::thumb:

With all the bad said bout her - I still would let her in my bed... errr slip! LOL

Elco???

The Trumpy thread reminded me of a yacht I snapped a couple of pictures of ca. 1974.

I was with my Dad, in Florida, at the time, while he was looking at one of the new Alaskan 45's, which he ended up nixing because they were still using wood. Broker/Dealer was John Matthews at Donnell Yachts. I suspect some on TF may remember him, as GB were one of his specialties.

The yacht in the photo, according to the marina, was only a few weeks away from being towed out to sea and sunk. Apparently, the owner was over a year behind on paying for dockage and was AWOL.

I'm not really sure what this yacht is/was. Elco comes to mind, but I'm not sure if that's because it was mentioned or because I noticed similarities to other pictures of vintage yachts I'd seen. Being the teenager I was, I really pushed Dad to buy it as a fixer-upper project, but he wouldn't hear of it. Smart man, indeed...

Attachments

• EL1.jpg
    EL1.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 49
  • EL2.jpg
    EL2.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
With all the bad said bout her - I still would let her in my bed... errr slip! LOL

It's all yours!!!
Think of the heat load if docked in the FL summer time. ZOWNS!! :facepalm:
That exterior and interior of the boat makes me wanna throw up.

Yup, a clothing designer hence the pimping out.
What a total waste of a good boat.

Last edited:
Man, I'd hate to be standing under that chandelier in rough seas!

BTW, curious how difficult it is to pull out the engines on a Hatt53 - are there easily accessible hatches above each engine? I always thought it would be nice to pull out those 8V's and replace them with a pair of 3-71's. Even though it is far from being a displacement hull, it would make long range coastal cruising alot more civilized.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 1.11.06 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 1.11.06 PM.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 45
Even though it is far from being a displacement hull, it would make long range coastal cruising alot more civilized.

Maybe if it had a different hull color and the interior was not a black motif.

:banghead:

Man, I'd hate to be standing under that chandelier in rough seas!

BTW, curious how difficult it is to pull out the engines on a Hatt53 - are there easily accessible hatches above each engine? I always thought it would be nice to pull out those 8V's and replace them with a pair of 3-71's. Even though it is far from being a displacement hull, it would make long range coastal cruising alot more civilized.

Chandelier looks like a sea urchin...

Originally Posted by Art View Post
The 1977 Hatt is basically an enlarged design of our 1977 Tolly.

No disrespect to you, the love for your boat or Ed Monk, but to put the genius that was Jack Hargrave in that box is beyond preposterous.

There's a good read on how the Hatts came to be here:

https://www.samsmarine.com/HatterasStory/HatterasStory.htm

No disrespect taken... Oscar... O' great luver of Hatteras boats!

And, no disrespect here to you either. Just, don't get your feathers too much in a ruffle over boat designer/builder comparisons. Please understand that I was not comparing apples to apples nor oranges to oranges in regard to Hatts vs Tolly... in that the word "basically" that I used in my sentence holds a broad span of conjecture to any position one may like to affix... regarding anything mentioned. Size difference and general hull form similarity was all that I implied.

I would like to add. I have worked on Hatts in boat yards and work on my Tolly when needed. I do understand the high and low points of each.

Thank you for supplying link to a Hatt site.

Finally this retro

"look like" is now under offer
Nice retro look little too high profile for me .
Now the buyer must fix her but good volume and old fashion carpentry (carpentry ?) say wood work.

Attachments

• 872def700182d5524a10e86497e21388854647af.jpg
    872def700182d5524a10e86497e21388854647af.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 950c4776c0c903a890971f76feebcee1757dd0c1.jpg
    950c4776c0c903a890971f76feebcee1757dd0c1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 959ba9cfa98058f69748c8c0ec3b7c248ab6b7bc.jpg
    959ba9cfa98058f69748c8c0ec3b7c248ab6b7bc.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 70
  • a032515ffa861e45a1b3b2d51f8df249c77a93bf.jpg
    a032515ffa861e45a1b3b2d51f8df249c77a93bf.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 66
  • cb4c4a1bbcfb97b901df7750a95ff827770556d5 - Copie.jpg
    cb4c4a1bbcfb97b901df7750a95ff827770556d5 - Copie.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 175
62 - That old baby is simply beautiful! Thanks for photos!!

Yes, really beautiful, but why does "retro look" always mean dark cave-like interiors??? Perhaps back in the early retro'th century the people had larger eyes so needed a darker environment to live in?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 8.43.15 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 8.43.15 AM.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 49
I will admit, there is nothing not to like on the boat. The interior is fantastic. I will also admit, it is too much boat for me.
Dont be hasty to sell the boat.
I wish you great good fortune on finding a WORTHY buyer.

Back
Top Bottom