Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I checked the specs. The 33 beam is about 11.75 feet. I searched on older Chris Crafts, try to stay with woodies in the 30-35 foot length and the beam measurement on those seemed to average mid 11 feet. Greenline design is aimed at efficiency with hybrid electric power. They have an asymmetrical cabin design. I suggest you spend some time on the specs or better yet on board a Greenline 33. It’s certainly not wider than a number of 40’ wooden boats and narrow by today’s standards. Of course there will always be examples you can find but I stand by my observation that Greenlines, and the 33 in particular, are not particularly beamy even by older “standards”.

We’ve seen this one a few times around the San Juan’s. Finally up close in Friday Harbor.

Looks like it is bent upwards at both end, (optical illusion). Too bad there are not interior pictures.
I like the boat.

ScottC,
They look related in the picture but way different in many ways.

The modern boat even if the same length will be wider. But the biggest difference is probably the weight. And that returns us to the original thought that they are much the same and there’s probably a reason. That reason will be limited power. The old boat in your picture is probably powered by two flathead engines w a lot of iron in them. If you put mufflers on them they are very quiet but only about 100hp each. And it’s likely they are only 75-90hp.
The other very important difference is beam. You can’t push a beamy boat w/o a lot of power. So all the boats from that era (40’s and 50’s) will be unacceptably skinny to the modern cruiser. Those old boats cruised at strikingly similar speeds of trawlers today.

So Low resistance (speed wise) is the biggest commonality. But most all the boats like the Greenline haven’t played the skinny beam card. Remarkable increases in efficiency will result when they do skinny up. And then w a little slower speed and some rocker ..........

Beaverlake,
You’re right I know almost nothing about the Greenline boat. It should be narrow with the goal of efficiency but that said it should also be FD. Don’t see that in the picture either. And I don’t need to do research to know the old Chris boats were narrow. How you found one that wide I don’t know. My guess would have been a 9’ beam.

One thing we can (probably) agree on is that they are both good looking boats. However most all 50’s CC boats are better looking than your example.

But your point (original) is well taken they compare as you intended. The common thread of neither having much power leads the design.

Last edited:
Looks like it is bent upwards at both end, (optical illusion). Too bad there are not interior pictures.
I like the boat.

Most are Dan,
That’s the nature of FD boats below the water line and also the nature of sheer lines.
The only odd thing about this boat is the very sharp cornered windows. The hard angled lines of the windows don’t go w the general appearance of the hull. Most good NA’s don’t make such a poor mis-match. I’m surprised she’s a Burger. Probably just Burger built.

Last edited:
Burger was beautiful. Good thing it is in the "wrong" continent, otherwise I'd be taking a closer look at it ;-)

Here is one that is not especially appropriate for this forum, but I include it anyway because I know it will be interesting to look at for at least one TF user ;-)

https://www.navark.se/en/produkt/Riva-Florida-1960

Also interesting is that, in the pictures, it is sitting in the EXACT same spot in the EXACT same building here in Malmö/Limhamn where my boat normally spends the winter when it's in Sweden.

1960 RIVA Florida. 585,000 Swedish Kronor ( about $66,000 USD today). For export, I'm guessing it would be without VAT, meaning ~20% less than above. Not 100% sure, however. Age might preclude this.

Last edited:
Hmmm, an interesting design.... your choice of propulsion... diesel, electric or outboard.
I suspect if you contacted the builder, he's be happy to give you LOTS of detail, ie the price and a dealer here in the US.

A friend of a friend is trying to figure out if he can get one of these into the US. Certainly small, super efficient, not a trawler but looks like fun.
https://www.pogostructures.com/en/fiche-bateau/loxo-32/

I have been reluctant to look at ultra-lightweight boats, since they ride on top of the water more than traditional boats, even older planing hull boats. While they may be more fuel efficient, I think you'd pay in the boat's ride.

Unless you're planning on racing the boat, weight often means comfort, forsaking some speed. If you're trying to win a race, you leave comfort back on the dock. A pleasure boat needs to have some weight for a comfortable ride.

I agree, at under 4000# it'll be a cork.

I have been reluctant to look at ultra-lightweight boats, since they ride on top of the water more than traditional boats, even older planing hull boats. While they may be more fuel efficient, I think you'd pay in the boat's ride.

Unless you're planning on racing the boat, weight often means comfort, forsaking some speed. If you're trying to win a race, you leave comfort back on the dock. A pleasure boat needs to have some weight for a comfortable ride.

Yes you’re right.
When we went from the Albin 25 to the Willard 30 (four times the weight) ..... night and day re the ride.

A friend of a friend is trying to figure out if he can get one of these into the US. Certainly small, super efficient, not a trawler but looks like fun.
https://www.pogostructures.com/en/fiche-bateau/loxo-32/

Yes I’d really love to have one of these.
As an OB for me.
They don’t show pics of the afterplane (bottom) as usual. Looks like she’s standing on her rudders on the tide flat.
And going to the drive-in w that in tow could be interesting.

57D620D9-0317-42B4-AC32-E353B08A2DD9.jpg

255560D1-6348-4FF9-8ECC-394DD51514AF.jpg

And I thought I had a lot of brightwork.

Beautiful boat .. but it’s a monster.
I can smell the varnish.

Beautiful boat .. but it’s a monster.
I can smell the varnish.
:flowers:In recent years with the advent of 'Cetol', the number of wood hulled commercial boats going to bare wood and Cetol has been notable, particularly in Canada. We have three or four here locally. I find the definite grain detail that shows interesting. as is the 'over the years' plank replacements
Remising of Norwegian boats, hence a throw back by generations removed from Norway perhaps.

Never used Cetol Al.
But Norwegian’s generally know what to do w boats.

Never used Cetol Al.
But Norwegian’s generally know what to do w boats.

Neither have I used Cetol. Multi coats of varnish was my [too often] gig... back in the day!!

Just for S&G's, I'm gonna link to a Cetol video!!

Edit: After seeing three videos... looks OK to apply. Wonder how it lasts in severe weather conditions as well as during extensive saltwater exposure? Also, wonder if when there is need to refinish leaves various "spots" to meld in due to weather or other circumstances.

Last edited:
Deks Olje is another similar product to Cetol and very easy to use.
We used it on the cabin exterior of my fathers boat
1.jpg

Well, I checked the specs. The 33 beam is about 11.75 feet. I searched on older Chris Crafts, try to stay with woodies in the 30-35 foot length and the beam measurement on those seemed to average mid 11 feet. Greenline design is aimed at efficiency with hybrid electric power. They have an asymmetrical cabin design. I suggest you spend some time on the specs or better yet on board a Greenline 33. It’s certainly not wider than a number of 40’ wooden boats and narrow by today’s standards. Of course there will always be examples you can find but I stand by my observation that Greenlines, and the 33 in particular, are not particularly beamy even by older “standards”.

In the owner's manual, I found a dimension of interest, perhaps, to the nautical engineers out there...
LOA: 9.99m (32.78 feet)
LWL: 9.85m (32.32 feet)

MAXIMUM BEAM: 3.49m (11.45 feet)

BEAM AT WATERLINE: 3.07m (10.07 feet) So yes, narrow indeed, where it matters for friction/efficiency.

Not much for the overall aesthetics of the boat, but how cool would this be to store your dinghy like this? (you'll have to turn your head sideways.....;)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
This one’s a little more practical especially for me, a Beebe design. Not the most beautiful lines I’ve ever encountered but great for a family of four intent on traveling somewhere, layout is anything but traditional for a vessel of this size and class but strikes me as comfy for living instead of entertaining.
https://au.yachtworld.com/boats/1982/custom-beebe-passagemaker-3683500/

Attachments

• B369246D-1FC3-4E08-AE5C-3F1DB421CEFC.jpg
    B369246D-1FC3-4E08-AE5C-3F1DB421CEFC.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom