Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OldDan-

#1 yup
#2 space allotted per man really sucked too.
diet contributed to the demise of the men too

#2 space allotted per man really sucked too.
diet contributed to the demise of the men too

Probably scurvy also. Anyone know about what year the Limey's discovered the importance of the lime? My kids and I were talking about that last night actually.

Greetings,
Mr. m. Here ya go...

limey (n.)1888, Australian, New Zealand, and South African slang for "English immigrant," short for lime-juicer (1857), a nickname given in derisive reference to the British Navy's policy (begun 1795) of issuing lime (n.2) juice on ships to prevent scurvy among sailors. U.S. use is attested from 1918, originally "British sailor, British warship;" extended to "any Englishman" by 1924.

"Murphy's Law" was anchored next to me in Stuart, FL on Saturday. More boat than I will ever need. But fun to dream about the adventures you could have.

20200503_070549.jpg

Ted

Greetings,
Mr. m. Here ya go...

limey (n.)1888, Australian, New Zealand, and South African slang for "English immigrant," short for lime-juicer (1857), a nickname given in derisive reference to the British Navy's policy (begun 1795) of issuing lime (n.2) juice on ships to prevent scurvy among sailors. U.S. use is attested from 1918, originally "British sailor, British warship;" extended to "any Englishman" by 1924.

The British Navy didn't adopt the practice of giving sailors lime juice until late in the 18th century, though the Portuguese explorer Vasco de Gama had know the same trick in the late 15th century. In between, long voyages had an expected death rate of up to 50% due to scurvy. Like the US slow adoption of testing and prevention while other nations lead the way.

Last edited:
For what I have in my current boat I could have bought this and brought it up to snuff. The real drawback is the time involved and the 8.5’ draft when you are done. And the fact that it really needs a bigger crew than the two of us since it draws too much for some of the ICW and long offshore passages need more than two aboard to be safe.

Has a very extensive hydraulic system. Interesting for sure.

BTW, the broker told me that “My understanding is the guy who bought might have abandoned it” so I guess he didn’t have the $450k necessary to restore that 40 year old monster.

Last edited:
When you a broker, especially United, writes a description like that in the listing, then you suspect the price may actually be high.

And IMO $450k is a drop in the bucket when all is said and done unless you are extraordinarily handy and have 10 years to spare, then maybe it could cover most of it. Having a decent yard do it all is going to be in the 7 figure range without blinking an eye.

'Murphy's Law' is a $1 boat to this buyer.
Whoever's paying the dock fee and taxes would be ahead on paper just to be rid of her.
If I lived near that area that's what I'd offer!

I might consider offering to take both the boat plus $50,000 in cash, subject to surveys and having a good yard go through it. Probably still too pricey.

If I were interested (I'm not), I'd probably get 2 surveys from a couple of surveyors who specialize in steel hulls (probably from out of the area). American Custom Yachts (just outside of stuart) should be able to haul it. If the hull is in good shape, probably rebuild or replace the engine, transmission, shaft bearings and steering. Then figure out where South of the USA I'm going to take it and refit it. Doubt the costs in the USA make it economically justifiable.

Ted

If I were interested (I'm not), I'd probably get 2 surveys from a couple of surveyors who specialize in steel hulls [/B.

Ted

Might be worth reading the ad before getting to carried away ;)

The hull was built from a commercial shrimp boat mold (Astorboaden of Tampa). Solid heavy built hand laid fiberglass hull with 8 layers of 1 oz. mat, and 24 oz. roving. Decks are sandwich fiberglass over marine ply (2 inch thick) and appear very solid. House is a heavy built fiberglass over marine ply and appears solid as well. Stringers are wood encapsulated with 8 layers of fiberglass.

If the hull is in good shape, probably rebuild or replace the engine, transmission, shaft bearings and steering.
Or get them checked out.
Could well be perfectly OK.

Then figure out where South of the USA I'm going to take it and refit it. Doubt the costs in the USA make it economically justifiable
Yep.
Bringing ours back to her former glory had us going to Thailand this year.
$25/ day for skilled labour vs $400/ day in 0z
Can't see us getting up there this year, hopefully next.

Last edited:
And IMO $450k is a drop in the bucket when all is said and done unless you are extraordinarily handy and have 10 years to spare, then maybe it could cover most of it. Having a decent yard do it all is going to be in the 7 figure range without blinking an eye.

It’s easy enough to pick up that boat for next to nothing. The key is not treating it like a yacht, because it isn’t one. It’s a commercial boat repurposed as a recreational cruiser. It would be idiotic to dump a half million or more into it. If you can get away with a total investment of say $200k then it might be a worthwhile investment.

Are there any good shipyards on the east coast of Mexico?

It’s easy enough to pick up that boat for next to nothing. The key is not treating it like a yacht, because it isn’t one. It’s a commercial boat repurposed as a recreational cruiser. It would be idiotic to dump a half million or more into it. If you can get away with a total investment of say $200k then it might be a worthwhile investment.

Exactly.
If you can get your head around that there are some great boats to be had.

Are there any good shipyards on the east coast of Mexico?

Might be in Veracruz. I would take it to one of the yards/builders in Mississippi or Louisiana that specialize in metal work boats. Again, when someone like United publishes verbiage like that in a listing, you take notice.
If you restore it to minimal, seaworthy and liveable work boat condition, you have a boat with extremely limited after market demand, and therefor value. And from the description and the pictures, I don't see 200k getting you even that far. It might cover refurbishing the exterior hull and housing and the attendant paint job.

Last edited:
Yeah you’re right about resale. If you can get away with making it safe and functional for, say $250k, then you can explore the seven seas wonderfully. Use it for a solid ten years and perhaps it’s worth every penny, because on resale that 50 year old monster will be worth much less than 100k.

Here’s the thing I can’t wrap my head around: owner had the financial wherewithal’s to build it, own it for 30+ years, fuel it for 12 transAtlantics, but then it is totally neglected and decays in the last 5 years?

The American Tugs are made from fishing boat hull molds. Does that make it a bad boat? I dont think so. It is called, 'using a proven hull design' to be the foundation to proved the recreational boats.

Its all about how much of a "yacht" someone wants, look at commercial boats and the level of finish on boats people make money with is way less. It doesn't have to be perfect, it has to work.. that's it. I looked at the pics a few times and the boat is rough.. that's for sure. But, it has the makings to be a solid passagemaker.. that's already been proven. Deep clean the thing, work on the mechanical s and do minimal esthetic upgrades and it could be a big, low buck cruiser.

Has anybody seen the film on Amazon "Sea Gypsies: The Far Side of the World" ? Look at what they do with a boat that is in worse shape and god forbid.. ferro cement!.

Look at what all is in the boat, the PO obviously built a capable well equipped ( for the time) boat that has a proven record (if it did in fact do 12 crossings).
I have a old ford dump truck that most here probably wouldn't want to own. Its rusty, leaks oil, has a rotted out exhaust, rattles, heater barely works, seat has a spring that pokes you if you dont sit right.. I could go on and on. But it does the job and has made me more money that it's bigger new fancy diesel International sibling in our fleet.

Will the boat in question take a fair sum of money to bring back to usable.. you bet, they ALL do. That boat you would paint the exterior with a roller and a brush.. and no LP for paint!

The point is to accept a level of quality commensurate to the investment.
She is no Nordhavn 62, but she can probably go wherever the Nordhavn can.

HOLLYWOOD

Last edited:
This boat is very impressive. If I was 20 years (make that 40 years) younger I would be on it. First point it is FIBERGLASS. Why has owner neglected it? He died! My kind of boat.

Back
Top Bottom