Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just looking, I find that's still free (mostly), not registering any where

Parked next to this beauty today
Classic styling on a catamaran hull form
I like it, looks vaguely familiar
Would love to know more but now's not really the time for visiting.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 83
Parked next to this beauty today
Classic styling on a catamaran hull form
I like it, looks vaguely familiar
Would love to know more but now's not really the time for visiting.

Looking at the hulls, I think that is a SWATH (small waterplane area twin hull) vessel rather than a simple catamaran. If I am right, there is an awful lot of boat below the waterline.

Looking at the hulls, I think that is a SWATH (small waterplane area twin hull) vessel rather than a simple catamaran. If I am right, there is an awful lot of boat below the waterline.

Nope, conventional cat hull with wave piercing add ons.

The early Pacific navigation used both birds and pigs as close in navigation tools.

Released a bird will fly to land , and a pigs nose is great at finding land and swims slow enough to paddle the boat behind.

A small pig can scream at 135 DB so has a use in heavy fog too.

Yes, it is a classic. Too bad it is wood.

Only a problem for those who can't or choose not to employ those that can.

Saying that, to much shiney shite and museum piece finish for my liking.
Paint her in solid colours and maintenance and $$ drops dramatically.
Seaworthiness, usability and on water enjoyment is identical.

Last edited:

Yep, in 40 years, all the owners with carbon fiber boats will be looking at a boat and saying, "Nice looking boat! Looks like a real classic, but too bad it's made out of fiberglass!":D:hide:

Yep, in 40 years, all the owners with carbon fiber boats will be looking at a boat and saying, "Nice looking boat! Looks like a real classic, but too bad it's made out of fiberglass!":D:hide:

In 40 years I wont care.

There are those that reject or even make fun of wood boats.
But if your handy it is a shame or even a sin not to have a wood boat.
And if you’re not handy I can see why you take a pass.
But one shouldn’t try to appear wise by ridiculing wood boats. It tells mostly that all you know about wood boats is that they eventually rot if not maintained.
It’s kinda like an automatic transmission on a car. It’s saying the automatic man announces to all that he gets no joy shifting gears because he chooses not to, can’t do it gracefully or is not connected enough to have meaning. Understanding when and how to shift is not shared by all. But to be intimate w the machine shifting and clutching is an excellent route to take.

The above isn’t a perfect analogy but it may be close. You can love the smell of resin and not be driven nuts by FG in your pants and elsewhere but there’s nothing romantic (usually not even pleasing) about FG layup and it exudes an element of cheapness (unless it’s Riva FG) so the choice of FG tells something about a man, often that he’s lazy or considers workin w wood to be unpleasant. But after awhile or more FG boats need paint. Ewew might get some on me. But most sell the boat before that.

And beyond romantic many of us feel they are special and there’s no better way to show it than to buy a wood boat. However a FG boat will accomplish that .. to a lesser degree as what’s really on display is the amount of money the owner has. Or you might just be showing what an incurable romantic you are.

But these are pleasure boats and the best boat is clearly the one that gives you the most pleasure. Not smart or dumb or how long it lasts or costs. We all like boats and most of us favor recreational trawler boats. Most like FG boats better and some (many more than what it would seem) like wood boats butter.

I own a FG boat but if I was to have a boat built for me it would be wood. It would even smell nice.

Then explain why not one single production builder even offers a model in wood. Think we all know the answer, better materials available.

Millions of years from now, archaeologists will be digging up perfectly preserved boat remains from the 21st century!

Eric,

Stop arguing with people from Florida about the merits of wood boats. :)

Although I do get a kick out of Donsan repetitively finding classic wooden boats from the PNW, and then lamenting that it is a "woody".

Cognitive dissonance?

[tongue planted firmly in cheek]

Last edited:
Then explain why not one single production builder even offers a model in wood. Think we all know the answer, better materials available.

Not entirely true.. the 1st reason is cost, wood boats are expensive.

I believe Rybovich still builds sportfishing ( and some of the best in the world) out of cold molded wood construction.
Yes is blends old and new tech together to produce a great hull.
As a reformed Grand Banks woodie owner, I had one of the last wood hulls built. I would not want a true plank on frame woodie but i would buy a newer cold molded hull in a heartbeat.
HOLLYWOOD

Cold molded is not the same thing, are you forgetting the 5k pounds of epoxy and mat they slather over it? Hardly the point the other guy was making about romanticizing a wood boat. So, I stand by my statement, no production builder even offers a wood boat.

Cold molded is not the same thing, are you forgetting the 5k pounds of epoxy and mat they slather over it? Hardly the point the other guy was making about romanticizing a wood boat. So, I stand by my statement, no production builder even offers a wood boat.

And vice versa, most non-production yachts are constructed of steel, aluminum, wood or carbon fibre, and not fiberglass.

Fiberglass lends itself to production as it uses a hull mold.

Ever been to the Med? New wooden gulets are everywhere.

One point no one can argue if they are being honest with themselves is that wood is a better boat building material than steel or fiberglass. I've had a wood boat (a big one), they have their place, but for someone to say that it's a "sin" to not own one or those that don't want one aren't capable of working on them is absurd. You want to go to sea with caulk joints and mechanical fasteners? I don't, not interested in a plank popping off 1,000 miles from nowhere.

Ill repent for my part in this thread drift with a new interesting boat shortly....

boatruptcy,
Haven’t got the time (or won’t make it) to dig up examples of production wood boats. It would just lead to an argument about what a production boat is. But I suspect what you have in mind is basically an assembly line product. But then it may be hard to find ANY boats coming from an assembly line as I see it. I worked at Uniflite on the 70’s and workers came to the boat.
Also I suspect your user name exposes you in that it suggests that money is your main concern. And that you emphasize that time whizzing around in your boat is the most important thing. Perhaps to the exclusion of anything else.
But you’re right; Labor intensive wood boats comprise only a small number of new boats. So as to wood boats being a bargain is not on anyone’s mind.

boatruptcy wrote;
“ Then explain why not one single production builder even offers a model in wood. Think we all know the answer, better materials available.”

When you say “better materials” it addresses the typical buyer. And most people are looking for the biggest boat for the buck. Your user name is saying that’s true of you. And you probably would think one stupid for buying a wood boat. Not so (unless they are) and some just have no idea what is involved in wood boat buying and ownership. I do and once steered a good friend away from buying a 50’s ChrisCraft. If he had the skills, knowledge, and attitude necessary I would have embraced it.

And re your post 98 wood is the best material if the buyer thinks so (you may need to ponder that for a minute) and knows what he’s getting. Same goes for FG.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom