Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Am I the only one to find a bit odd a gaz tank near electrical buses and what looks like a battery charger and over a manual fuel primer bulb on picture 45? Especially that I am not sure that that enclosed space is properly vented to avoid any gaz accumulation in case of a leak.

L

“She’s in the water commissioned for the 2015 season”.

LEEN Trimaran bit starts at 1:50

Maybe they'll consider our 30' Sundowner Tug as a trade in?

Last edited:
Interesting Boats at Lulus

Lulu's is in Gulf Shores not Orange Beach.

A lot of boat for little money
I agree, really needs updating and moving the gas bottle away from that electrical thingie, maybe charger and or inverter

Rockland ME?

Freeboard [especially in the bow] not tall enough.

IMO... heavy seas would create havoc on deck; depending on wave ferocity and duration maybe eventually sink her.

Rockland ME?

Freeboard [especially in the bow] not tall enough.

IMO... heavy seas would create havoc on deck; depending on wave ferocity and duration maybe eventually sink her.

I'm not perfect either. SHRUG

Dave Gerr's largest beachable yacht, the 76' Walrus:

Massively built of aluminum at St. Augustine Marine Center by WJ Development to specs exceeding the* original design by Gerr Marine, Inc. Fantail stern configuration with unique tunnel-drive hull (centerline prop in tunnel) for shoal draft use and "beachability". Designed and built "to take ground with impunity anywhere, any time". WALRUS is the large sister of several other smaller, very successful yachts with the same hull form. The tunnel-drive hull form was originally developed by naval architect William Atken between the two world wars and was later resurrected by Dave Gerr beginning in 1995. Although ultra-shoal draft, these hulls have proven to be excellent seaboats as well as economical to run at cruising speeds.

https://superyachtsalesandcharter.com/sales/76-0-2006-custom-built/262132/

https://www.gerrmarine.com/KESTREL/KestrelWalrus-BoatInternationalUSA.pdf

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
https://superyachtsalesandcharter.co...-built/262132/
https://www.gerrmarine.com/KESTREL/K...ationalUSA.pdf

Tankage and Mechanical puts this 5 million to build boat into perspective. I like it.
A great deal for someone.

Tankage
Fuel:
(2) Integral aluminum - 2,100 gallons each located forward outboard end of engine room with large inspection plates and site gauges.
(1) Day tank - 125 gallons

Mechanical Equipment
Power / Engine Control: Single 3406 E Caterpillar engine. 3,264 hours February 11, 2020. 8 knots at 1450 to 1500 RPM's. 12.5 gph consumption with 1 generator. 10 knots at 1700. 24

Last edited:
This one has been on the market for years, but it’s still one of my favorites. Love the size of the engine rooms!

I think it was for sale here in the US on the east coast for awhile, but now back in France.

https://youtu.be/T5PS7yUzZcg

Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
https://superyachtsalesandcharter.co...-built/262132/
https://www.gerrmarine.com/KESTREL/K...ationalUSA.pdf

Tankage and Mechanical puts this 5 million to build boat into perspective. I like it.
A great deal for someone.

Tankage
Fuel:
(2) Integral aluminum - 2,100 gallons each located forward outboard end of engine room with large inspection plates and site gauges.
(1) Day tank - 125 gallons

Mechanical Equipment
Power / Engine Control: Single 3406 E Caterpillar engine. 3,264 hours February 11, 2020. 8 knots at 1450 to 1500 RPM's. 12.5 gph consumption with 1 generator. 10 knots at 1700. 24

While I don't have much experience with vessels of that length, she seems thirsty at 8 knots.

Ted

While I don't have much experience with vessels of that length, she seems thirsty at 8 knots.

Ted

Cat 3406 engines are premium of the comparables.

Around sub 200 hp would be the 1500 rpm range that will burn approximately 10-12 gph. Depends how they are setup. The advertised boat has a later E model. It should be doing a bit better than reported. Although it may have been turned up for more power at same rpm as stock. That would explain. They are top of the line engines.

Nice boat. Dad would have smiled. Did not see ER... maybe I missed it.

There were some ER pictures in the listing for the 2013 sale ....

Attachments

• 3404543_0_210320111712_17.jpg
    3404543_0_210320111712_17.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 3404543_0_210320111712_18.jpg
    3404543_0_210320111712_18.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 3404543_0_210320111712_19.jpg
    3404543_0_210320111712_19.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: Art
Cat 3406 engines are premium of the comparables.

Around sub 200 hp would be the 1500 rpm range that will burn approximately 10-12 gph. Depends how they are setup. The advertised boat has a later E model. It should be doing a bit better than reported. Although it may have been turned up for more power at same rpm as stock. That would explain. They are top of the line engines.

Mine wasn't a comment on the engine, but how much HP it took to push such a long boat through the water below hull speed. The number does include one generator running, but I would have assumed below 1 gallon per mile at 8 knots.

Ted

I'm sure she has a fairly high prismatic coefficient with those unusual wing keels.

Hard to find a clear picture of the bottom, but on Gerr’s site it shows a line drawling of the hull.

I would describe it as a flat bottomed, thick bottom plated box keel (for sitting horizontal on a beach without needing beach legs) with a “tunnel” aft allowing the propeller not to touch the sand while beached. Along the aft portions of the tunnel are “wings” similar to rolling chocks.

One apparent benefit of this kind of Hull is that it doesn’t squat the arse end lower / suffer from bow rise when applying lots of power.

No idea how all this compares to other hull types in terms of efficiency.

Last edited:
This article in Passagemaker has a good drawing of the same hull form on a 42' Gerr boat, although Walrus may have a wee bit of extra length added on the edges of the tunnel:

https://www.passagemaker.com/cruiser-reviews/belle-marie-the-skinny-water-queen

A quote from Gerr:

BelleMarie cruises at a solid 10–11 knots, topping out at 11.5. At 11 knots, she consumes about 3gph, which—with her 330-gallon diesel capacity—gives her a range of 1,100nm, with a 10-percent reserve. This steady, continuous, comfortable cruising speed—11 knots on a 39-foot, 5-inch waterline—is quite unusual. It corresponds to a speed-length ratio of 1.75. This is true semi-planing performance. Yet at 11 knots, Belle Marie makes no fuss at all going through the water. She maintains level trim, throws no large wake, and in every respect behaves exactly as if she were operating at the standard displacement speed for this waterline of just 8.5 knots.

Last edited:
Bit of Walrus video...last part shows her ripping along with exceptionally little wake:

Last edited:

Attachments

• goim006A.jpg
    goim006A.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 56
  • goim007A.jpg
    goim007A.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 57
  • goim009A.jpg
    goim009A.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 60
Nice except for that rounded arse.
OK if you are beholden to a marina, but if you want to actually use the boat and get stuff aboard I can't see how it is usable.

Open transom and duckboards or nothing for us.
Easy in and out, no climbing, far less danger.

Besides the "look" a round stern has the advantage , like a tug , of being able to back against a wall or pile to do a turn un tight quarters.

The box keel and reverse deadrise to make the boat more efficient at non plaining speeds is old , was even proposed in WWII .

It not only protects the prop while grounded , it captures some of the energy being dragged along by skin friction , and lifts the stern to prevent squat at higher speeds.

Atkins - compared to modern design/materials | Boat Design Net

www.boatdesign.net › Boat Design Forums › Design › Powerboats

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom