Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Attachments

• North Sea.jpg
    North Sea.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 73
Really nice vessel. Gotta love the look of a North Sea trawler. However, a 6B at 315hp sound a bit too hot. And overpowered

Really nice vessel. Gotta love the look of a North Sea trawler. However, a 6B at 315hp sound a bit too hot. And overpowered

Deere 6076 @ 300-HP is definitely underpowered here. 55 feet, 55 tons, 19 beam and 5.5 draft. Cannot make her hull speed. Clean hull, new injectors.

Attachments

• DSC00818.jpg
    DSC00818.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 65

Not wishing to be argumentative and I am aware of what Willy's position will be on this, but I do not understand this argument. An engine that has reserve power characteristics relative to its safest operating range strikes me as a plus rather than a minus. Being set toward the high range of the engineering specs and having a little more power available than that which might be needing to move this boat a bit below hull speed appeals to me.
I am going to assume the person who buys this boat is not an idiot and will not, understanding its limitations, run this powerplant on its pins the whole time. By the standard to which you refer, any boat/engine combination that is not a conservative M1 installation is not good because some guy might run it M1 manner on its pins for several days of 24 hour operation.
Even engineers cannot fix stupid, so not sure they need to consider it in every configuration.

What am I missing? Personally, I appreciate the reserve in the case of emergency where perhaps I would risk the long life of an engine to save my own. YMMV.
My 52 North Sea Cutter has an M1 Mercedes set at around 350 and cannot exceed hull speed on its pins. Just saying, this vessel may need most of this power.
The engine configuration would not defer me. I would not want to let perfection stand in the way of excellence.

Last edited:
Reactions: Art
I was parked next to this in Atlantic Yacht Basin's back forty for a night. She's got potential, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut......

Attachments

• IMG_2918.jpg
    IMG_2918.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_2914.jpg
    IMG_2914.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
In case you missed it -- worth a read!

Went and looked (from the dock) at this boat on the Great Loop Fall rendezvous at Joe Wheeler state park. The man who took me to the grocery store had traveled quite a bit on it. The owner and his wife and my chauffeur and his wife had done a number of trips on the Tennessee and Ohio rivers. Great boat for river cruising with another couple.

The owner was briefly on the forum and talked about building and cruising it. Will try to find the thread.

Edit: As I remembered, the owner built the boat. Mt recollection is that it may have also been featured in Passage Maker magazine. Quite an interesting story.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/new-member-what-kind-animal-5218.html

Ted
O C Diver, thanks for digging up that old thread. I'm sure I was a lurker here back when the owner/builder of that vessel first shared his work of art with the forum, but I do not recall seeing it. I just read read the thread and was blown away by that gentleman's accomplishments, devotion, and abilities. If you have not read that old thread, do yourself a favor. If the owner is still on here, it would sure be a treat to hear from him again and hear some stories of their river trips and how the boat has served them.

greetings,
Mr. W. Belongs to a TF member and is indeed interesting. https://www.strathbelle.com/

From the web site:

Currently raising funds for a full rebuild. Hope to have her finished in time for her 100 year anniversary coming in 2014.

This is disappointing. It would be so nice to see her brought back to life!

A 100-year old riveted steel hull! All I can say is "Brave man!"

I feel a bit bad about posting now, to be honest. That's what I get for throwing shade, I guess. I hope she gets the love she deserves.

https://www.yachtworld.com/core/lis...re/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp&boat_id=3653220

I like everything but the enclosed flybridge, ruined the lines in my opinion and what's the point, you now have two enclosed helms.

and if you look at the interior picture the the enclosed fly bridge, instrumentation is scattered on the bridge. As I see it, the RADAR is placed so it requires another person to watch it and relay everything to the captain.
IM feeble mind, I want to see the RADAR from the helm seat.

https://www.yachtworld.com/core/lis...re/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp&boat_id=3653220

I like everything but the enclosed flybridge, ruined the lines in my opinion and what's the point, you now have two enclosed helms.

Yea, I like the lines of the boat and lower level. The enclosed upper helm looks like an afterthought, as seen an many commercial fishing vessels, as an add on. The hard enclosed upper helm ruins the aesthetics, although for commercial opts it can be preferred. I believe in lower helm stations for blue water opts.

Boat for sale - Custom Steel Pilothouse Trawler - 40'

Great little boat for $75k, good range (2k miles) doesn't feel small inside, needs a little updating I'm sure.
Am I the only one to find a bit odd a gaz tank near electrical buses and what looks like a battery charger and over a manual fuel primer bulb on picture 45? Especially that I am not sure that that enclosed space is properly vented to avoid any gaz accumulation in case of a leak.

L

Boat for sale - Custom Steel Pilothouse Trawler - 40'

Great little boat for $75k, good range (2k miles) doesn't feel small inside, needs a little updating I'm sure.

A lot of boat for the price. Legate boatworks Canada built. Appears to be fitted out to commercial fishing/utility standards vs yacht standards, with exception to the hull. This has advantages for maintenance and upgrading, although many prefer boats outfitted to yacht standards. A great power setup, although appears slightly underpowered. This looks like it was done intentionally with a great power plant. One advantage is it is powered to be quite efficient by choice. It has great lines. Looks like a great deal for someone.

Last edited:
Am I the only one to find a bit odd a gaz tank near electrical buses and what looks like a battery charger and over a manual fuel primer bulb on picture 45? Especially that I am not sure that that enclosed space is properly vented to avoid any gaz accumulation in case of a leak.

L

I'm not sure what all is going on in that pic but the " gas bottle" doesn't appear to be a propane tank anymore...look at the Rube Goldberg plumbing fitting arrangement on the thing.. it has not shut off valve in the tank.. some sort of accumulator tank perhaps? .. on second thought it is the fuel tank or the oil heater to the left, look at the heat burn mark on the top of the box.
Hollywood

Last edited:
I'm not sure what all is going on in that pic but the " gas bottle" doesn't appear to be a propane tank anymore...look at the Rube Goldberg plumbing fitting arrangement on the thing.. it has not shut off valve in the tank.. some sort of accumulator tank perhaps? .. on second thought it is the fuel tank or the oil heater to the left, look at the heat burn mark on the top of the box.
Hollywood

I did see what you described. There is a hand priming bulb at the bottom of it too. I figured it is a diesel day tank for the heating stove. What do you think it is?

Corrosion seems manageable. Upon repainting I’d say either paint the solid bulwark white or extend it all the way to the bow, because the “notch” feels awkward.

Powering seems perfect for a 7.0 knot cruiser who doesn’t desire to be running at hull speed very often.

NEEL sailing trimarans now producing LEEN power trimarans with main power in the main hull and electric pods under the amas for marina maneuvering, silent running, or short term backup:

https://leen-trimarans.com

Huh, that’s interesting. You get the catamaran beam and efficiency, but with the simplicity and efficiency of a single engine.

L

Nope, that one absolutely JUMPED off the page at me!:eek:

Back
Top Bottom