Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, if I ever owned a boat like that I would immediately ship it down to Brazil and spend a couple of years cruising the Amazon River!

BTW, looks like an ancient 8" Constellation dome compass - wonder if he'd be willing to sell it...

Wow, if I ever owned a boat like that I would immediately ship it down to Brazil and spend a couple of years cruising the Amazon River!

BTW, looks like an ancient 8" Constellation dome compass - wonder if he'd be willing to sell it...

Yes, an Amazon River boat! Good call.

Here's another Benford design... Not pleasing to the eyes, and probably hard to dock unless you dock by feel from the pilothouse.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2005/custom-trawler-jay-benford-na-design-3510681/

I love it. Benford draws dreams and ideas. This is one of them. Maybe not a trawler, but the perfect Southern Gentleman's boat.

I would have to take music lessons to play the calliope to own it properly. And learn to not pronounce my R's and G's. And maybe get a pot belly and dress like Colonel Sanders or Boss Hogg (wait, they kind of dressed the same, didn't they...).

But what a work of love and art.

Last edited:
Reminded me of another thread about a Benford, Steel Away.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/steel-away-552.html

attachment.php

Not my style, but appreciate the attention to detail throughout. Video below is pretty long, but there's a lot to see.

Benford 55' Florida Bay Coaster, Teddi Bear:

Not my style, but appreciate the attention to detail throughout. Video below is pretty long, but there's a lot to see.

Benford 55' Florida Bay Coaster, Teddi Bear:

This boat is nicely appointed and appears to have machinery professionally laid out and installed. I can appreciate the relative beamy bow entry, although I would need to see the hull design to appreciate more than flat water opts. Seems “FL Bay Coaster” top heavy. It does look like a great flat water live aaboard.

Marine Connection in Ft Pierce has a Constellation for sale on the shelf,$495.

Fisher

Carl (of this forum) in Anacortes has a sister of the "Ulysses" in his "Delfin." I've seen several Fishers out here but none with the big awkward pilothouse like the boat in the photo.
That’s what makes Fishers special, reverse window pilot house perfect for ‘snotty’ conditions they were designed for. ?. Warren

Cheeeep......

I have no dog in this hunt.... popped up on my FaceCrack feed......

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 6.31.03 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 6.31.03 PM.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 143
I have no dog in this hunt.... popped up on my FaceCrack feed......

Wonder what a Cabretta Trawler is? It is under the Marine Trader section. Had a friend with an MT this size and I worked on it a fair amount to help him out; so I know what I am talking about at least with that one. Had I bought it from him when he was done screwing it up and moved on, it would have been so i could get the engine and generator and NOTHING ELSE. Then I would have rid the surface of the earth of that hot mess.

RT, I completely agree - especially for an alleged "trawler" - next boat (if there is a next boat) needs at least 2500NM range and preferably more...

The big, industrial looking cat designs have more appeal to me than the sleeker models. They make great live-aboard platforms, and those hulls are less sensitive to loading.

This ferry looks like the dad of the Victoria, Canada water taxi.

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/Njc5WDgwMA==/z/7DkAAOSwrVRd1qTq/$_59.PNG

Here's another Benford design... Not pleasing to the eyes, and probably hard to dock unless you dock by feel from the pilothouse.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2005/custom-trawler-jay-benford-na-design-3510681/

Went and looked (from the dock) at this boat on the Great Loop Fall rendezvous at Joe Wheeler state park. The man who took me to the grocery store had traveled quite a bit on it. The owner and his wife and my chauffeur and his wife had done a number of trips on the Tennessee and Ohio rivers. Great boat for river cruising with another couple.

The owner was briefly on the forum and talked about building and cruising it. Will try to find the thread.

Edit: As I remembered, the owner built the boat. Mt recollection is that it may have also been featured in Passage Maker magazine. Quite an interesting story.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/new-member-what-kind-animal-5218.html

Ted

Last edited:
Looks like 75k worth of trouble to me..
With the economy like it is now I’d have to call this boat an impossible sale.

Looks like 75k worth of trouble to me..
With the economy like it is now I’d have to call this boat an impossible sale.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/14/31660.htm

YP- 654 Class Training Craft
  • Laid down, date unknown, at Stephens Bros, Inc., Stockton, CA
  • Launched, date unknown
  • Delivered and placed in service in 1958 at the US Naval Academy, Annapolis, MD.
  • Reclassified to combatant craft, 1 February 1989
  • Refitted as a Navy Mine Hunter, assigned to the US Naval Reserve COOPMINRON
  • Placed out of service in 1994
  • Struck from the Naval Register, date unknown
  • Used as a Naval Sea Cadets training vessel TS Resilience, homeported at Cedar Key, FL
  • Sold to owner in Texas, date unknown
  • Derelict at Corpus Christi, TX from about 2011
  • Current disposition, for sale at Corpus Christi, TX, as of November 2015

Are they giving you $ 75,000 to take the boat?

if they are they are getting a deal
HOLLYWOOD

That was MY first thought, but heck, that would probably not even get the running gear worked over! Pull two of the 671's and keep two . . .

I remember YP 660 from my days at the US Naval Academy in the late 1960s. They were not built as mine sweepers but rather as training vessels for midshipmen. Later in their lives some of them were given to the Naval Reserve where somebody thought they might make shallow water mine hunters/sweepers. Mostly they just sat or cruised locally to give the reserve personnel time on the water. I spent a lot of time on the YPs and was qualified in every position from engine room to commanding officer. The engineering plant was extremely flexible with the twin 671s on each shaft. We carried 25 midshipmen on each one of six YPs were cruised from New York to Norfolk. Later these 80 footers were swapped out for 110 footers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom