Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You guys lack vision...

Imagine if you will, being able to stay anchored out in a remote anchorage for an extra couple weeks because you haven't wasted precious diesel on keeping the boat warm. That, and knowing my wife is happy when I'm out hiking/photographing in the pouring rain.

Nothing like the penetrating warmth and sound of a crackling wood fire with torrential rain drumming on the roof :D

I'm pretty much kidding... there's usually plenty small pieces of wood for FP on beach.

However, if you are in cold weather or damp days or hard to get at beach-side locations I can see retrieving much satisfactory wood a chore. Boat big enough?? Load a 1/2 cord split oak and small rounds aboard for when beach wood is scarce. :thumb:

While never built, Bob Perry posted one of his designs (Gypsy) which was subsequently reposted on the Facebook Group "Trawler Living and Cruising" recently. Some of you may have already seen this posted there but I though it was worth reposting here too.

Boy oh boy does this one speak to me!

Attachments

• Gypsy.jpg
    Gypsy.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 89
I just bought this. Now I need to figure out what to do with it. Going to bring it to my farm and work on it in my spare time. I figure about a year before splash. I understand that in boating terms that looks more like three years.
She hasn't had the care she should have had over the last five years or so.
www.boats4work.com/boats/1993-32-ft-ocean-star-pilothouse-trawler[/IMG]

I have been trying to get a picture on my profile. It can't be this hard.

I love that boat. You got a steel!

While never built, Bob Perry posted one of his designs (Gypsy) which was subsequently reposted on the Facebook Group "Trawler Living and Cruising" recently. Some of you may have already seen this posted there but I though it was worth reposting here too.

Boy oh boy does this one speak to me!

:smitten::smitten::smitten:

That’s amazing. A fumeless, noiseless 22kw generator? Never heard of a no fuel generator.

I don't believe they are claiming the generator as noiseless or fumeless.

With a large solar array and a large battery bank, the generator seems to be for backup use and not everyday use.

Here are the specs from the website for the 55:

Length overall: 16,70 m (54.8‘)
Beam overall: 8,46 (27.7‘)
Draft: 1,20 m (3.9‘)
Light displacement: 19 tons
Water: 500 – 1.000 L
Waste-Water: 2 x 500 L
Fuel: 500 – 1.600 L
Solar Panels: 10 kWp
E-Motors: 2 x 30 kW / 2 x 250 kW
Generator: 22 kW / 100 kW
Battery Capacity: 120 kWh
Cruising Speed: 6 – 8 kt / 12 – 15 kt
Top Speed: approx. 12 kt / 20 kt
CE Certification: CE-A
Range: Trans-Ocean

Jim

I like this Bruce Roberts, the hardtop let's it down a bit but a nice boat...

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2006/bruce-roberts-trawler-3545111/?refSource=browse listing

I have not seen that boat in a while, but when I did (about a year ago) it had serious rust problems. It went into the Caribbean and came back with a few additions and sat on the market for a while. Apparently it looks good in photos but loses its luster up close. A bunch of the repairs done by the previous (3rd?) owner were jerry rigged. The ceiling of the side decks is wood and coming loose. Unless this current owner has done some work to stop the rust expansion, several parts of the aft structure will need work.
It seems to drop to about $425k and finds a buyer, over and over.

It was custom built for the original owner who passed away right after it was comissioned. His business partner purchased it off the late partner's estate and kept it at his dock for many years. Then it went to the Caribbean with a pilot owner. It went back on the market a couple of years later with minimal maintenance, but with a new rigged water maker. It was missing a bunch of the boat deck staples and had lots of rust when I went aboard when it was in Brunswick, GA for a year or so.

Many of the photos are from 6+ years ago, but some appear to be recent, and it seems to have been cleaned up.

Lots of boat for not much money, but you should have metalworking in your skillset or you'll be paying for some of that work to be done.

65’ of rust is a lot of rust to fight. Yikes.

I know there is a surprising negativity on TF about timber boats but this one has been around a bit.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/motorboats/auction-2302460550.htm?rsqid=ac30f91b29b14b6d9ec938986697436c-001

Interesting double shield of the Volvo, I guess for noise?

It is indeed a beautiful, seaworthy boat.

My feelings per wooden boats is the probability of hull upkeep is greater than fiberglass, IMO. Plus, the skilled craftsmen needed to repair a wooden hull are, sadly, dying off.

I do wish they provided complete specs. I would ask for more information but, it would only excite the seller. SMILE

Last edited:
Simi that looks better than any Nordhavn I’ve ever seen.
Not pretentious either.

We just returned to Vancouver from an Alaskan run up the Inside Passage. Headed back south nearing Campbell River, the RoRo ferry “Columbia” overtook us doing about 15 knots. One of the most balanced and graceful vessels I’ve ever seen anywhere.

Attachments

• 1D8477DC-D956-4D5E-BB2B-04A111DB1514.jpg
    1D8477DC-D956-4D5E-BB2B-04A111DB1514.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 73
Closer shot of “Columbia”.

Attachments

• C25A8815-0D63-44A6-9498-58C40EB049FE.jpg
    C25A8815-0D63-44A6-9498-58C40EB049FE.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 71
One of the few Alaska State ferries I’ve not worked on.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom