Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Donsan here’s a nicer looking Willard.
Sorry but I don’t care for the one you posted at all.
Both of these boats were never production Willards. Willard was just the builder. Willard had nothing to do w the design.

For identification IMO the NA/designer should be called out and then .. built by ... .

Edid;
This boat is far from visual perfection too. One very unusual visual feature i invite you to find. What do you think I’m seeing?

Actually, this is Neried, a Willard 47 Dover Pilothouse. They made 4 of them, designed by Blaine Seeley. Here is Klatawa, the one I am in escrow to purchase. It is nearly perfect for my intended use!

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1967/willard-marine-dover-pilothouse-repowered-3537664/

Jknox, what is the captive reel winch holding - short length of chain and then nylon rode?

yes it's a watermaker, similar to a spectra unit.
Hollywood

Actually, this is Neried, a Willard 47 Dover Pilothouse. They made 4 of them, designed by Blaine Seeley. Here is Klatawa, the one I am in escrow to purchase. It is nearly perfect for my intended use!/
Nice looking boat. The portuguese bridge with the wheel is a nice touch. I'd still prefer a flybridge, but that'd be a nice control station option on the right boat.

Nice looking boat. The portuguese bridge with the wheel is a nice touch. I'd still prefer a flybridge, but that'd be a nice control station option on the right boat.

Just need a remote box (steering, thrusters, throttle and shifter, windless control) you can control the boat from anywhere on the boat.

Just need a remote box (steering, thrusters, throttle and shifter, windless control) you can control the boat from anywhere on the boat.

Knew a gal like that once! :dance:

This one looks the part

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bod/d/seattle-custom-western-star-steel/6934607666.html

00K0K_jiJ8rIp5JuG_600x450.jpg

Aft bottom on the hard makes it look like a following sea would be nearly a benefit for handling this puppy; virtual fuel use reducer.

Wonder what the stats are on engine, fuel, water, holding, economy/speed... etc?

She does push quite a bow wave in photo. At same time it appears little to no stern wave.

Interior looks nice. Bridge deck is huge. Not too easy ladder access to bridge. Wonder if salon pilot chair locks down to floor for hours of heavy weather/waves?

Last edited:
offset saloon

Saw this interesting boat yesterday when I was stooging about the marina at Magnetic island.
The saloon takes up the port side walkway, the is access to the upper deck (upper poop) lol from the pilot house via a small set of stairs on the port side. There are doors on both sides of the pilothouse.
She is steel as you can probably see - I was attracted the recessed port holes - some serious weather expected by the designer and the anchors -- OMG she won't be dragging anchor either !!
I spoke the the owner briefly and remarked on the saloon, he said the boat in general incorporated many facits that he liked from several boats.
A sturdy strong room boat

Attachments

• DSC03771 (Small).JPG
    DSC03771 (Small).JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC03772 (Small).JPG
    DSC03772 (Small).JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC03773 (Small).JPG
    DSC03773 (Small).JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC03774 (Small).JPG
    DSC03774 (Small).JPG
    134 KB · Views: 78
Saw this interesting boat yesterday when I was stooging about the marina at Magnetic island.
The saloon takes up the port side walkway, the is access to the upper deck (upper poop) lol from the pilot house via a small set of stairs on the port side. There are doors on both sides of the pilothouse.
She is steel as you can probably see - I was attracted the recessed port holes - some serious weather expected by the designer and the anchors -- OMG she won't be dragging anchor either !!
I spoke the the owner briefly and remarked on the saloon, he said the boat in general incorporated many facits that he liked from several boats.

Out of curiosity - what is the purpose of the slope on the transom? Other that looking quite nice and taking up cockpit space, I can't image it would perform much in the way of function. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 00000_ltQdL31Ec1D_1200x900[1].jpg
    00000_ltQdL31Ec1D_1200x900[1].jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 71

Looks pretty cool. Don't know if I like port with no walk around. Can imagine if her bottom at stern is sloped shallow enough the reverse cantor transom would somewhat assist in following sea handling. Seems that canoe stern would do better in that case though.

Art, I agree about the sloping stern/transom whatever it's called surely a following sea could rush up that slope easier than a canoe stern. The other thing was why wasn't the walkway on the portside ?

Art, I agree about the sloping stern/transom whatever it's called surely a following sea could rush up that slope easier than a canoe stern. The other thing was why wasn't the walkway on the portside ?

Although in a mild following sea that slope might give some handling assistance. One thing that bothers me with that severe of a reverse cantor transom slope is that there would be too much chance for a really angry following sea to swamp the boat by breaking in the rear panel to salon. :hide:

Aft bottom on the hard makes it look like a following sea would be nearly a benefit for handling this puppy; virtual fuel use reducer.

Wonder what the stats are on engine, fuel, water, holding, economy/speed... etc?

She does push quite a bow wave in photo. At same time it appears little to no stern wave.

Interior looks nice. Bridge deck is huge. Not too easy ladder access to bridge. Wonder if salon pilot chair locks down to floor for hours of heavy weather/waves?

That one is also on YW with additional information.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/19...t-company-3563358/?refSource=standard listing

The off-center salon is referred to as an Europa design. The designer did this to enlarge the interior of the salon. There are advantages and disadvantages to this design.

I say the following with NO marine engineering experience. Per the slope of the transom, in following seas, a rolling wave might lift the transom and bring the prop closer to the surface, if sloped upward and if the same wave hit the current transom, it might push the stern down and keep the prop in deeper water. Just a guess.
Per a canoe stern, still scratching my head on that one. I would guess, the same wave would be 'split' but, I am not sure of the benefit, positive or negative.

Last edited:
Carpet in the engine room, well that's interesting. I suppose it might deaden sounds or cushion the knees, but it's going to capture a lot of smells.

It's likewise carpeted with the same stuff everywhere else. Never been a fan of wall-to-wall carpeting installed on a boat. Too hard to keep clean.

Looks like it is just loose carpet pieces and not glued down in the engine room. Perhaps extra scraps from when they did the rest of the boat. Probably makes it nicer to work on your hands and knees on the engine.

I agree, I’d prefer not to see a single scrap of permanent carpet in my boat.

Looks like it is just loose carpet pieces and not glued down in the engine room. Perhaps extra scraps from when they did the rest of the boat. Probably makes it nicer to work on your hands and knees on the engine.

I agree, I’d prefer not to see a single scrap of permanent carpet in my boat.

"... makes it nicer to work on your hands and knees on the engine."

Rule #1 in my book - able to stand up in engine area... or it's NOT my boat ever! Therefore, no carpet required!!

My boat doesn't have walk around decks. So I might as well ask "why did they short-change the saloon width on the starboard side?". ;)

What's the beam on your boat?
Think of how narrow your salon would be if they put the same walk around on both sides.

Interesting post about it online, too:

Vanuatu – Update on the Medical Assistance Project - Application Solutions - Application Solutions

There are many stories of heroic efforts during this time with one example being the contribution made by Ken Short. Our boat was not ready to go to Vanuatu, however a boatie friend we made during the 2013 trip stepped up to the task, along with his rather large ocean going motor boat called the Trinity Castle. Ken took on board a huge quantity of donated goods from Australia and for 3 months sailed around the islands providing assistance.

I know of one case, a rather large boat, hauled a lot of supplies to an island. He lost his engine as he got close so he anchored and a friend offered to ferry some of the supplies to shore. Customs met his boat, the captain of the small sailing boat did not have any paper work related to the supplies so they locked he and his wife up when they did not have the cash to pay the fine. Later, some of the police drove them around to the ATMs to get the cash to pay the fine. They had to spend one more night in jail until they appeared before the judge, the next day.
So folks if you are going to be a good Samaritan and ferry the supplies ashore, take all the necessary paper work with you..... bills of laden, country of origin and and and.

My boat doesn't have walk around decks. So I might as well ask "why did they short-change the saloon width on the starboard side?". ;)

To me - for my desiring to own a boat: Equally important as a stand up engine compartment... Boat also must have easily available exterior access via full complement of unobstructed walk around fore, aft and side decks.

Guess this; as well as my over 65 yrs boating [started as an infant]... I could truly be termed an "Old Salt"

Interestingly; a fellow at our dock a decade ago who had a full width salon with no side decks got his port salon window twice knocked in. Once at a tall pillar dock. Once from another boat tying alongside.

With that said - I will admit... no side decks with wide salon between hull sides does interior space provide and comfort seating make!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom