Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Never underestimate an Ol' Buick!! LOL

We love our 1967 Wildcat, 430 cid / 400hp. Came at 360 hp / 495 fp torque from factory. 10K miles ago [at her orig 125K miles since new... Super pro rebuild added 40 hp +/-; a bit more torque too I'm sure.

Our "Ghost" [same as orig color - Total Artic White new paint a month ago] is a Comfortable, Fun, Fast auto.

All power everything... with frosty AC. Ghost is Our "Luxo Muscle Car"!!

Thought the Green Police of California had banned those and put a bounty on their hoods.

Ted

I still cant get over the crawl space for the ER

I can... :facepalm:

Because of that - the boat no longer occupies "space" in my mind! :nonono:

I can... :facepalm:

Because of that - the boat no longer occupies "space" in my mind! :nonono:

So very true. The ER on the AT34 aint the greatest but far better than the ER on my Nordhavn 46.

Thought the Green Police of California had banned those and put a bounty on their hoods.

Ted

With super-professional rebuilt engine she's a clean machine! :socool: :D

Gets driven all of 3,500 miles a year! :thumb: :popcorn:

Last edited:
So very true. The ER on the AT34 aint the greatest but far better than the ER on my Nordhavn 46.

Big reason [among others] we purchased our Tolly was its huge piano hinged hatches with air pressure holders in center of its salon floor. A 7' person could stand upright in the engine compartment!

Attachments

• TO - Both Engines and Genset - Looking Forward 100_0615.jpg
    TO - Both Engines and Genset - Looking Forward 100_0615.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 61
  • TO - Both Engines and Grey-Flex Battery Cover Looking Astern 100_0612.jpg
    TO - Both Engines and Grey-Flex Battery Cover Looking Astern 100_0612.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 64
Big reason [among others] we purchased our Tolly was its huge piano hinged hatches with air pressure holders in center of its salon floor. A 7' person could stand upright in the engine compartment!

But still have to bend over to do any work. LOL

But still have to bend over to do any work. LOL

Not to check the water or the oil! ;)

Can be bit of a squeez to get to all the batts in batt bank.

And, there are some other fairly tight locations too.

All n' all... those two great big wide open hatches in salon sole make it real
easy to keep up on the majority of mechanical items. :thumb:

Why am I drooling?

Carries 2500 gals of fuel and has a 4000 mile range. Can a 50' Nordy beat that? She is probably a $ million less than a Nordy too. Think this must be a different Metal Craft from the one that built Wayfarers boat and this one is steel. Projects a really tough attitude but the lack of stabilizers is a severe shortcoming and the genny seems undersized for a 50' boat with that type of range. Lack of air conditioning would also be a problem if heading south. Still, I like it....but can't afford it.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/20...e-trawler-3567416/?refSource=standard listing

Attachments

• c3.jpg
    c3.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 63
Beautiful tough little ship. Way way overpriced IMO, but that’s a personal call. Does something look funny about this photo [emoji846]IMG_3912.JPG

Carries 2500 gals of fuel and has a 4000 mile range. Can a 50' Nordy beat that? She is probably a $ million less than a Nordy too. Think this must be a different Metal Craft from the one that built Wayfarers boat and this one is steel. Projects a really tough attitude but the lack of stabilizers is a severe shortcoming and the genny seems undersized for a 50' boat with that type of range. Lack of air conditioning would also be a problem if heading south. Still, I like it....but can't afford it.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/20...e-trawler-3567416/?refSource=standard listing

Gotta love those wide angle lens. Everything looks bigger. Hmmm, naw.

I like this boat too.
Gotta have 2 or 3 A/Cs
bow and stern thrusters?
water maker?
I agree, stabilizers desired.

The Nordhavn 46 carried 1000 of fuel with a reported range of 2500 NM.
Approx 450 gallons of water???? 2 SR, 2 heads, 2 enclosed showers. I installed a 150 per day 12 vt water maker. The thought was, run it underway.... should be able to keep the tanks full or close to it.

Last edited:
Beautiful tough little ship. Way way overpriced IMO, but that’s a personal call. Does something look funny about this photo [emoji846]View attachment 91575

Helm placement....
During a docking maneuver, he is a long way between the helm and the engine controls.

Last edited:
Beautiful tough little ship. Way way overpriced IMO, but that’s a personal call. Does something look funny about this photo [emoji846]View attachment 91575
I hope that is photoshopped. I see the wheel is in a bad position. The captain would pace himself to death trying to steer by hand while trying to look at the instruments.

I hope that is photoshopped. I see the wheel is in a bad position. The captain would pace himself to death trying to steer by hand while trying to look at the instruments.

See post 7332 :socool:

Good catch. The write up indicates the boat can be steered by joystick so the wheel might not be needed to dock but it still looks like a badly designed helm.

Dosan looks heavy,
HaHa but that’s what trawlers are all about.

Really nice boat, looks very well made and super clean. I thought the same about the helm until looking further, boat is non intended to be driven at the wheel.. looks like backup only. That hull with the deep hard chines may not need to be stabilized underway .. and those hulls (seiner design) are very fuel efficient at their intended design speed. The pics of the ER look super clean and well laid out. Its 50% of the price of the same size nordhavn .. I would love to have it but would need to redo the salon as its lacking

HOLLYWOOD

From the listing, "Fiancing available for a qualified buyer with good credit and collateral"

I wonder if one could use the boat as the collateral? :blush:

Jim

Wow, if someone needs financing on a $7500 boat, they'll never make it.

Another eBay Mainship in New York, 30 foot this time, $15,000. Owner says it's ready to loop, runs good, solid decks, but not perfect. Didn't catch any mentioned of a generator. Phone number in ad.

Ends Sunday morning.

s-l500.jpg

The Mainship sold.

The same seller had a real pretty Corvette for sale, 327 4spd, not cheap. Auction ended without sale, it maybe didn't sell yet, phone number in auction.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-Chevrolet-Corvette-/223578530784?hash=item340e51a3e0%3Ag%3AlnwAAOSwZwFdIeMV

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
I didn’t see the jog lever. Nice. You can tell this boat was built for a captain who was confident in what he wanted and his abilities and was not swayed by market pressure: no aircon, no genset, no bowthruster, yes captive reel winch, etc.

So you guys located up in the PNW, where captive reel winches are common on the fishing fleets, do you usually see all chain rodes? 300+ feet of 1/2" chain is a lot of weight to carry that high up on the foredeck. Don't the fishing boats either use nylon or steel cable most of the time??

Attachments

• Captive Reel Winch.jpg
    Captive Reel Winch.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 61
So you guys located up in the PNW, where captive reel winches are common on the fishing fleets, do you usually see all chain rodes? 300+ feet of 1/2" chain is a lot of weight to carry that high up on the foredeck. Don't the fishing boats either use nylon or steel cable most of the time??

That's a good question! The thought crossed my mind some time ago...just never asked. Looking forward to learn answers.

That is a very nice boat. On first blush, I don’t see much not to like. Look to me like a great boat for WA, BC, AK use.

I really like the PH. I like the helm seat on the starboard side with a jog lever yet the wheel available for standing. Certainly bigger than I need, but I’d love that boat for my area. It would even fit in my slip....

Helm placement....

During a docking maneuver, he is a long way between the helm and the engine controls.

Not at all. You would be docking using the jog lever (something I really wish I had). I love the layout.

Mako,
Most in SE use a combo rode. Quite often 2 or even 3 different sizes of chain the first is sometimes a few feet of studded chain links. Then a heavy chain the length depending mostly on the size of the boat and the skippers whim. Then 100 to 150’ of smaller working chain connected usually to nylon line but some use multi-strand cable. But some to many (I’m guessing 20%) use all chain. Perhaps they use the lightest chain for their boat (and only one size) to get a longer rode on. Limited rode length can be an issue. Cable of course would accept the longest rode. My reel winch would not hold the 400+ feet of rode on my boat. Six or so shackles may be involved and is no problem for the winch at all. They just wrap onto the drum like a chain link.

Almost all are powered by a hydraulic motor/pump run by a V belt off the front of the engine. Very very few fish boats deviate from this arrangement.

I have an old reel winch if anybody feels the need to experiment. Is worn but would be serviceable if one rebuilt the pump motor.
These winches will lift just about any anchor weight.

Last edited:
This is an interesting boat painted by my mother in WWII in Juneau Alaska. I was just a very small boy and was amazed by the outhouses on every other float. Most were two holers and starfish and the like could be seen everywhere under the water. Jelly fish, fish and bottom fish were frequently/usually there.

The painting is true art painted not true to the image of the real thing but to the essence or reaction of the viewer .. my mother. Details like the rub rail were not painted as they were but as they should be .. as art. Look at all the interesting lines in the painting like logs and pilings. This one obviously was a gill net boat but I see brown entries in the painting that probably were gurdies. Kinda like fishing reels. At this time it was all hand lining or hand operating the gurtie wheel/crank. The stern hullform apears to be of the fantail variety .. uncommon on fish boats even at this time. But because of the sail it may have been fantail. But the sail may not be for propulsion but as a steadying saiL.

I can’t guess what the small brown things are on the cabin top. Could be a dinghy cradle just to put something on the board.

Attachments

• AD77D443-080B-4F6C-B7AE-B3092341337E.jpg
    AD77D443-080B-4F6C-B7AE-B3092341337E.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
This is an interesting boat painted by my mother in WWII in Juneau Alaska. I was just a very small boy and was amazed by the outhouses on every other float. Most were two holers and starfish and the like could be seen everywhere under the water. Jelly fish, fish and bottom fish were frequently/usually there.

The painting is true art painted not true to the image of the real thing but to the essence or reaction of the viewer .. my mother. Details like the rub rail were not painted as they were but as they should be .. as art. Look at all the interesting lines in the painting like logs and pilings. This one obviously was a gill net boat but I see brown entries in the painting that probably were gurdies. Kinda like fishing reels. At this time it was all hand lining or hand operating the gurtie wheel/crank. The stern hullform apears to be of the fantail variety .. uncommon on fish boats even at this time. But because of the sail it may have been fantail. But the sail may not be for propulsion but as a steadying saiL.

I can’t guess what the small brown things are on the cabin top. Could be a dinghy cradle just to put something on the board.

Definitely art. Very good.

Not at all. You would be docking using the jog lever (something I really wish I had). I love the layout.

Would you be so kind to explain the use of the jog lever. I've not heard this term before.
I really like this boat, the interior layout not so much.

Would you be so kind to explain the use of the jog lever. I've not heard this term before.
I really like this boat, the interior layout not so much.

Jog lever is a small tiller handle. Push it to port, rudder goes to port. Its an electric over hydraulic appliance. Many auto pilots have a jog lever option . Really nice way to steer.

Back
Top Bottom