Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, this boat isn't out of the 1930s. It isn't even a woody. Well, at least if you can believe the listing broker. With a beam of 9' 2", she almost qualifies as a trailerable ....err transportable trawler. Sadly, she will require way too much varnishing unless you are a true glutton for punishment. Really nice looking boat though.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2005/andreyale-12-meter-3557345/?refSource=standard listing

If there's no damage, start on Friday. Be done by Sunday just in time to sip your fav beverage while admiring your work by the sunset. Those would be 12+ hour days and knowing how to use power tools efficiently and laying down varnish as you go. It would be a marathon. :socool:

Last edited:
Well now, what's wrong with this one?
She's been on the market for a while. The more I look at her, the more I like her.

I might just have to take a road trip to Toronto to check her out.

There is the ride that you have patiently been waiting for. That is the one, and in a perfect location to boot for starting the adventure.

It appears there will be a car race to the boat and if it passes the survey, there will be a fist fight over the boat.
Dont forget to bring your US Dollars. CHUCKLE

It appears there will be a car race to the boat and if it passes the survey, there will be a fist fight over the boat.

Crap. It’s a 4462 Km (2895 miles) drive for me and I have to be at work on Tuesday, so I guess I’m out.

What has US dollars got to do with it? Amount is lower, value is the same with exchange rate.

Well now, what's wrong with this one?
She's been on the market for a while. The more I look at her, the more I like her.

I might just have to take a road trip to Toronto to check her out.
Avard Fuller was the heir to the Fuller brush company.

The boat is probably based off of the yacht "Jim Hawkins", as it has that really interesting spray rail just above the waterline.

MetalCraft is known for high quality commercial boats. Not sure if they were in 1985 though...

Last edited:
Crap. It’s a 4462 Km (2895 miles) drive for me and I have to be at work on Tuesday, so I guess I’m out.

What has US dollars got to do with it? Amount is lower, value is the same with exchange rate.

Quick, get on a plane, rent a car at the other end.
I "think" the current exchange rate still favors the US dollar. If I am wrong, SHRUG, sorry about that.
OOPS. the price was in US $
Let us know when the fight is going to start. LOL

Last edited:

Dear sir, it is only a 7h drive from here so I can go there and have a look on your behalf if you can do a 50% deposit of the price. No I am not living in Nigeria lol

L

Looks good to me except for maybe the lack of air conditioning. Surprised she has not sold. See post #5762.

Oh hey, look at that. She's been up for at least a year, then. I think the price has come down some, but I'm not sure. AC could always be added.

I want it.
I'll arm wrestle you for it!

There is the ride that you have patiently been waiting for. That is the one, and in a perfect location to boot for starting the adventure.

Alas, I'll have to continue being patient for another year or two. Maybe she'll still be waiting for me!

Judo Chop!

Avard Fuller was the heir to the Fuller brush company.

The boat is probably based off of the yacht "Jim Hawkins", as it has that really interesting spray rail just above the waterline.

MetalCraft is known for high quality commercial boats. Not sure if they were in 1985 though...

I've never heard of MetalCraft, but she looks to be built like an iron lavatory. That spray rail is almost more of the sort of hard chine you get on a planing hull. I wonder how slappy that thing gets at anchor. Good thing the master cabin is aft.

Hasn’t sold I’m guessing because all are afraid she’d prolly roll too much.

Possibly. I hadn't considered that, but she is a light weight, narrow for her length, and with a fairly low center of gravity. I bet she is a snappy roller.
I was thinking that her being a one-off custom job was possibly scaring people away. Also, I don't know squat about what it takes to maintain an aluminum boat, so maybe that's deterring others. She looks pretty sound in the pictures though.

Hasn’t sold I’m guessing because all are afraid she’d prolly roll too much.

Weld on some rolling chocks to soften the end points of the roll.

Would be fine in a B.C. context where you could anchor while waiting for better weather.

I just take a quick look at this boat could be an interesting boat but the welding I saw on the ruder bracket are not good at all ! all welding must be checked carefully ...

I just take a quick look at this boat could be an interesting boat but the welding I saw on the ruder bracket are not good at all ! all welding must be checked carefully ...

Certainly looks a bit cold and what we would have referred to as "Birdshit"
At least its easy access to re do, but it makes one wonder what's in other areas that are now sealed off.

6741454_20180610100024239_1_XLARGE.jpg

For the hll you could make an ultra sonic check, ok it is not 100% because you could check 10 time around one problem and don't see it, but if you make few hundred measure the probability will be with you :)

Looking around the valve, exhaust, rudder, shaft , propeller, on the welding, the best thing it is go take a look behind the paint but ...normally owner don't agree.
I had this 4236 perkins engine on few boat strong, basic and reliable (some corrosion problems where alloy is in contact with steel for example exhaust elbow)...but 1000 h seams to be very small after 34 years ? rebuilt ?
Engine must and all electrical installation must be 2 wires (yes I am not clear :))
What I feel it is the price could be lowered (sorry for the owner !!)

...Looking around the valve, exhaust, rudder, shaft , propeller, on the welding, the best thing it is go take a look behind the paint but ...normally owner don't agree...

What I feel it is the price could be lowered (sorry for the owner !!)

Good points. This is why it's always good to have the clear eyes of a surveyor involved.

Certainly looks a bit cold and what we would have referred to as "Birdshit"
At least its easy access to re do, but it makes one wonder what's in other areas that are now sealed off.

6741454_20180610100024239_1_XLARGE.jpg

I thought that rudder post would have been tig welded before being installed and MIG welded to the hull. The welds do look bad, but I have seen worse.

It would be expensive but can employ a company to NDT the welds.

Photos of welds are often misleading. I've seen things that aren't there, and missed things that are.

For those who haven't heard of MetalCraft, here is their website: www.metalcraftmarine.com.

Photos of welds are often misleading. I've seen things that aren't there, and missed things that are.

For those who haven't heard of MetalCraft, here is their website: www.metalcraftmarine.com.

Sorry but this welding are clearly bad.
One you can see they start with not enough amp. ok the start could look bad but after say 1 centimeter your metal is heated enough and the welding became "flat" with nice regular contact on each side.
For example on the photo the welding on the center girder look better
But on the "tube de jaumière" (sorry I don't know the term in English) "ruder shaft tube " they made the welding and after , oups not good here , put 2 cm on, no good here put 2 cm on.
Ok some time you could see nice welding but just "glued" on the plate.
But here I can see some bad and "glued" :hide::hide:

Probably because it is a stitch weld on the gusset to hull to prevent plate distortion in a high stress area.

Stitch welding also limits the heat affected zone, which from my understanding is very important with aluminum, so as not to change it's material properties.

The gusset to rudder post appears to have been backstepped I think the bubble gum look you see is likely oxidation or shadow from the filling of the step welds.

Have you not heard of hot cracking?

Honestly, I'm only conversant in carbon steel and steel alloys, but again, I would never "inspect" a weld from a photograph. Shadows from incidental light, flash photography, oxidation, different weld techniques or positions often create defects that just aren't there.

I have presented photos (projected on a screen) in a room full of trades, engineers, inspectors, and technologists and non-technical managers that all thought they saw something that just wasn't. It's easier when the weld is properly cleaned and even easier when there some developed dye penetrant on it. :)

Furthermore, welding machine technology and shielding gas supply has made leaps and bounds since 1985. (34 years ago) Aluminum welding was done constant current power supplies. Now, one would use constant voltage, or even better, pulse welding. A "stack of dimes" is so much easier to achieve today. Judge in context.

Likely this is one of those things where "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Everyone is subject to their own bias, the effect of well designed marketing, and the amplification of that marketing by current owners of that which has been marketed well. This is common in all market segments but seems especially common in the marine world. I am aware of my own bias.

This boat will likely close at around 100K US or about 90K Euro. That is not much money for a lot of boat. If this 34 year old boat is as it appears in this ad, think about the condition that the hull and house are in compared to most mid eighties KK 42. Now think about what each of those boats might look like in another 20 years and how much money and intervention it will take to survive those additional 20 years.
I get that it is a metal boat in a plastic market. That must be considered if resale is an important part of the equation.

But, if long term cruising with a very moderate cost of ownership and maintenance is the goal, this boat wins hands down for me under the conditions that 99+% of us will cruise. This boat looks strikingly easy and inexpensive to maintain.

Given what I see in the weld on the center girder, the welds on the gussets of the rudder tube do not concern me unless they concern a good surveyor. With 1000 hours of sea time so far and no apparent problem, and with the gussets being a secondary means of stabilizing the tube, I am not getting heartburn about those welds.

To highlight the first observation that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and their bias, here is mine: If someone offered me a mid 80s KK42 for X$ and this boat for $100K more (the entire asking price), I would take this one. And that considers the fact that I think a mid 80s KK42 is a helluva boat.

This is a well conceived boat that appears to be in great shape and stands a good chance of staying that way for a VERY long time. At this price, that seems like a very good deal.

If you will need to sell it next year, I would not touch it. The sentiment so far on this forum stands as exhibit A in that regard. That bias, however, is what will provide someone the opportunity to own and cruise a very nice boat for very little money.

Likely this is one of those things where "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Everyone is subject to their own bias, the effect of well designed marketing, and the amplification of that marketing by current owners of that which has been marketed well. This is common in all market segments but seems especially common in the marine world. I am aware of my own bias.

This boat will likely close at around 100K US or about 90K Euro. That is not much money for a lot of boat. If this 34 year old boat is as it appears in this ad, think about the condition that the hull and house are in compared to most mid eighties KK 42. Now think about what each of those boats might look like in another 20 years and how much money and intervention it will take to survive those additional 20 years.
I get that it is a metal boat in a plastic market. That must be considered if resale is an important part of the equation.

But, if long term cruising with a very moderate cost of ownership and maintenance is the goal, this boat wins hands down for me under the conditions that 99+% of us will cruise. This boat looks strikingly easy and inexpensive to maintain.

Given what I see in the weld on the center girder, the welds on the gussets of the rudder tube do not concern me unless they concern a good surveyor. With 1000 hours of sea time so far and no apparent problem, and with the gussets being a secondary means of stabilizing the tube, I am not getting heartburn about those welds.

To highlight the first observation that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and their bias, here is mine: If someone offered me a mid 80s KK42 for X$ and this boat for $100K more (the entire asking price), I would take this one. And that considers the fact that I think a mid 80s KK42 is a helluva boat.

This is a well conceived boat that appears to be in great shape and stands a good chance of staying that way for a VERY long time. At this price, that seems like a very good deal.

If you will need to sell it next year, I would not touch it. The sentiment so far on this forum stands as exhibit A in that regard. That bias, however, is what will provide someone the opportunity to own and cruise a very nice boat for very little money.
Agree with all of your points.

I'm gonna go have a look at her. I've never given an aluminum boat much consideration, so I know very little about the subject. I am however, an expert at knowing when a boat feels like a nice place to live, or not.

If she doesn't flip my switch, no worries, I'll keep to the plan and keep saving up.

If she gets me all hot and bothered, well then I might just see if I can re-jigger the numbers.

Anybody want to come with?? Boatpoker!? She's right in your back yard!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom