Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
eBay trailer boat project with newish engine - not a give away

[FONT=&quot]1993 Nimble Nomad 24’[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]& Trailer[/FONT]

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Dan wrote;
“Considering the length and weight, the boat could benefit from a much larger engine. Remember, just because a boat has lots of HP doesn't me the owner MUST use it all, all the time.”

Not so.
FD boats don’t benefit from excessive power. And it would be stupid to put excessive power in this boat. By the way Dan it appears you have seen the displacement of this boat. Care to share?

But if you take a look at the consumption curve you will see you have a better ration liter/hp say around 1400rpm for a maxi rpm of 2400rpm.
It could be more economical to run a little bigger engine at a lower rpm

And probably this boat is under 6hp per Tonne
The Tangier for 24m loa and beam around 5.65 m draft 2.7 was 109T

Half trawler half motorsailer? Looks more like a trawler with masts to me. Either way a boat like this makes me consider questionable financial decisions.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986/Seaton-Steel-Motorsailer-26m-2562616/Greece#.Vt7l-5wrJvE

This one few years ago was in white with very curious transom extend (at this moment we made an offer but tooooo low :-() . They remove all change the color, but in my opinion put too much weight in the wrong place...

This one few years ago was in white with very curious transom extend (at this moment we made an offer but tooooo low :-() . They remove all change the color, but in my opinion put too much weight in the wrong place...

Sort of like my Nordhavn46 with masts?

I still like this boat.
I agree, they are still optimistic with their desired price.

long-cours.62 wrote;
“But if you take a look at the consumption curve you will see you have a better ration liter/hp say around 1400rpm for a maxi rpm of 2400rpm.
It could be more economical to run a little bigger engine at a lower rpm”

That would depend on the engine, how it was/is loaded ect ect ....
Wouldn’t you think?

Re 7078 - Borrowed Horse really appeals to me and at hundred and a half asking looks (superficially) like a screaming deal. But, as noted above, what is with the plethora of pictures of every curtain rod and TP holder, but nada enginerring eqpt/spaces?

Makes me wary.

Just passed this one in the Calumet River. Not sure what it is, but it’s got an interesting paint job. I’m not sure it’s the color scheme I would have gone with, but It seems to have been nicely done, and I admire their audacity.

IMG_1392.jpg

Just passed this one in the Calumet River. Not sure what it is, but it’s got an interesting paint job. I’m not sure it’s the color scheme I would have gone with, but It seems to have been nicely done, and I admire their audacity.

View attachment 90288

Nice paint job...for a funeral boat :lol::surrender:

Last edited:
long-cours.62 wrote;
“But if you take a look at the consumption curve you will see you have a better ration liter/hp say around 1400rpm for a maxi rpm of 2400rpm.
It could be more economical to run a little bigger engine at a lower rpm”

That would depend on the engine, how it was/is loaded ect ect ....

Wouldn’t you think?

But in the example here the question is : a consumption of a 900 hp engine loaded for example at 350 hp and running at (for example) 1200 rpm will be higher than a 400 hp engine loaded at 350 hp.
I think no because if you looking a consumption curve you will see than where is the best ratio gr/kw or liter/hp not in the region of the maximum revolution but around the "peak" of the torque....It is difficult to me to be clear in English :)
For this boat we had the information but it was ...long time ago more than 12 years I don't remember but the displacement could be at less around 170T, but I thinks remember she was heavier...
Anyway I think we can't decide a "true trawler" must be x or y hp per tons.
Because for the same weight you could have so different lwl, so different D/L, so different "fardage" (windage in English ?), so different hull lines

one example : same lenght but different displacement of a Cheoy lee 66 and a Bering 65 or Cheoy Lee 66 and Vripack Doggerbanks same displacement but not the same lwl.

Also

We can't say : always sd boat will have bigger consumption than fd under hull speed limit.
Here also it depends of all said before D/L, l/B, windage, hull line etc etc
For example our Long-Cours 62 for all people she is not a fd boat :)
but until now we don(t find a boat with similar low consumption even classic fd.
- sur un moteur à 1400 t/mn : 6,6 nds et consommation de 0,61 lt au mille.
- sur un moteur à 1500 t/mn : 7 nds et consommation de 0,81 lt au mille.
- sur un moteur à 1600 t/mn : 7,4 nds et consommation de 0,92 lt au mille.
- sur un moteur à 1800 t/mn : 8,3 nds et consommation de 1,46 lt au mille.
- sur deux moteurs à 1780 t/mn : 8 nds et consommation de 1,14 lt au mille.
- sur deux moteurs à 1850 t/mn : 9,80 nds et consommation de 1,78 lt au mille.

Or for example the real consumption of a patrol boat under the hull speed :
and compare with a fd ...
Trawleurisation d'une ex vedette rapide !? - Trawler long-cours

Semi displacement boat could be more economical at speed below the hull limit depending again of the hull line, D/L, B/L etc etc

long-cours.62 wrote;
“But in the example here the question is : a consumption of a 900 hp engine loaded for example at 350 hp and running at (for example) 1200 rpm will be higher than a 400 hp engine loaded at 350 hp.
I think no because if you looking a consumption curve you will see than where is the best ratio gr/kw or liter/hp not in the region of the maximum revolution but around the "peak" of the torque..”

Torque peak is over used to explain things I think.
And I’m of the opinion that most engines will be most efficient at 75 to 80% of power rated engine speed. Largely based on the fact that larger engines have so much more surface area to radiate and loose heat. These are heat engines and there are other relative variables to consider. But lost is lost.
I could readily be wrong and if so I may just learn something.

Last edited:

View attachment 90288

I admire their feet! How in the H do you walk anyplace on that in the sunshine????

I admire their feet! How in the H do you walk anyplace on that in the sunshine????

Well, she’s not a Florida boat, that’s for sure. She’d have to be quite insulated to hang out around here.

Well, she’s not a Florida boat, that’s for sure. She’d have to be quite insulated to hang out around here.

Radiant heat recorded by defense satellites would make observers think it's a fire bomb moving in slowly... getting ready to explode! :facepalm: :D

Snow melt? Aircraft were sometimes painted dark colors to help melt snow, maybe boats too.

Someone ruined a perfectly good Hatteras.....:banghead:

Additional climate warming - by boat!

eBay trailer boat project with newish engine - not a give away

[FONT=&quot]1993 Nimble Nomad 24’[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]& Trailer[/FONT]

s-l1600.jpg

Buyer beware. I looked at this boat before. It has a hell of a lot of leaks and interior wood rot to deal with. The interior needs a complete gut and redo. Where the various fiberglass molded parts are put together, they used a compressible rubber-like gasket. All most all of this boat's gasketed parts are leaking along with windows and portlights. It would require disassembling some of the cabin to reseal properly the molded parts properly. I would just epoxy everything back together and fair everything out. At the current price of $7100, it would be a good DIY project if the electronics, fuel system and engine are in good condition. Other wise, I wouldn't buy it.

If I saw this out on the water, I could watch her for quite a while without ever wishing I owned her. Lots of character, anyway: https://vancouver.craigslist.org/bnc/boa/d/new-westminster-60-wooden-seiner-1946/6896456421.html

The white rails upstage and obliterate the lines of the boat. I'm sure it is fine from the inside, looking out. It is disturbingly painful to look at from the outside. It might be an attractive vessel with careful application of colors.

I agree Mr. B,
Railings should be black or some other dark color.

I agree Mr. B,
Railings should be black or some other dark color.

:angel:

Buy the boat and you can paint them any color you want. :)

Why not stainless steel and never have to paint again.

Ah, Peto Pink. LOL

Buyer beware. I looked at this boat before. It has a hell of a lot of leaks and interior wood rot to deal with. The interior needs a complete gut and redo. Where the various fiberglass molded parts are put together, they used a compressible rubber-like gasket. All most all of this boat's gasketed parts are leaking along with windows and portlights. It would require disassembling some of the cabin to reseal properly the molded parts properly. I would just epoxy everything back together and fair everything out. At the current price of $7100, it would be a good DIY project if the electronics, fuel system and engine are in good condition. Other wise, I wouldn't buy it.

I do like the lines of the boat.... I'm not sure the design would allow for all the creature comforts to which I have grown accustomed.

For 71K..... nope.

:angel:

Buy the boat and you can paint them any color you want. :)

Why not stainless steel and never have to paint again.

Ah, Peto Pink. LOL

Dan,
You can paint them what you like but what parts of your boat that are very light or bright colors like bright frog green or white will become the epicenter of your boat visually. What do you want people to notice? The hand rails, the anchor or something much more shapely like the hull or transom?

The problem w the boat in post 01 is that it’s a clutter boat .... and mostly so because of it’s paint job.
Most boats are white and most have SS railings .. as it should be both for practical reasons and because the utilitarian nature of them but they don’t visually stand out on a white boat. My railings are very small dia being life lines. They are white but w their very small dia don’t show up terribly bad. May be better if they were dark green like a lot of the trim but green lifelines would draw much notice by being weird.

Last edited:
The white rails upstage and obliterate the lines of the boat. I'm sure it is fine from the inside, looking out. It is disturbingly painful to look at from the outside. It might be an attractive vessel with careful application of colors.

If as some have said, the boat looks cluttered. IMO it is because the white railings detract from the boats natural lines.

Interesting points. Here's a comparison of the rails in three colors. First photo is as is white. 2nd is gray, third is an autumn orange closer to the color of the wood. I love the boat, but it is a cluttered mess.

Attachments

• Attachmen.jpg
    Attachmen.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 51
  • grey rails.jpg
    grey rails.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 58
  • orange rails.jpg
    orange rails.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 54
Back
Top Bottom