Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No ducks about this one. I was unfamiliar with Carri-crafts until this one popped up. Seems like a decent price for a twin diesel 57' 97,000 pound boat at $60K USD. Only 60 cents a pound!

The swimming pool ladder on the starboard side seems misplaced since it doesn't reach the water level but it might be for climbing from a dock. Wonder if the Perkins run? Be sure to notice the cowbell hanging in the pilothouse.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1972/carri-craft-570-catamaran-3542432/?refSource=standard listing

Decade ago I looked at a couple Carrie Craft 57'ers. Was thinking of establish tour boat for SF Bay. I spoke with a couple captains for hire and was told they would not take it into SF Bay because "if" a storm suddenly arose [which sometimes happens - in SF bay] they did not feel the boat would be safe under extreme wave conditions. They likened it to a fancy house boat; I do agree. That said... if used in locations where sea conditions will not suddenly get extreme then that boat would be fun and damn comfortable too.

The one you present is well outfitted compared to the ones I reviewed. And, pricy to in comparison.

Hmmm, no mention of a generator.
West coast boat, no mention of the air conditioning.
Judging of the water line paint, needs a serious bottom job.

A side note: When looking for my first boat, at the Miami boat show I looked at a small cat trawler. (make unknown) I was happily going through the boat, each hull was a bit narrow but well laid out. I turn to speak to my 'then' wife, her eyes were big as bucket bottoms. She was comfortable in the narrow hulls. Strike one off the list.

The one you present is well outfitted compared to the ones I reviewed. And, pricy to in comparison.

Agree, Art. Haven’t seen one so well wooded. Also, the majority of the ones I’ve seen over the years were gassers. Good platform for a live-aboard.

A side note: When looking for my first boat, at the Miami boat show I looked at a small cat trawler. (make unknown) I was happily going through the boat, each hull was a bit narrow but well laid out. I turn to speak to my 'then' wife, her eyes were big as bucket bottoms. She was comfortable in the narrow hulls. Strike one off the list.

Correction, NOT comfortable in the narrow hulls. Strike one boat off the list.

DSCN1070.jpg

Some southern California boaters may remember this classic. It was the sole transportation for the Vail and Vickers ranch on Santa Rosa Island for fifty years. It is presently rotting away in the Sacramento Delta.

View attachment 88927

Some southern California boaters may remember this classic. It was the sole transportation for the Vail and Vickers ranch on Santa Rosa Island for fifty years. It is presently rotting away in the Sacramento Delta.

I wondered where she ended up.. that tub hauled a LOT of cattle off the island through the years. It disappeared after the Nature Conservancy took over the island. It was a bad day in Santa Barbara when the boat was up wind of the marina.. decades of cow crap and piss must of pretty saturated the decks as the smell was hideous. Always felt sorry for the skipper.. probably as fun as running a septic pump truck.

HOLLYWOOD

View attachment 88927

SIGH

A boat remembering all the good days. Now it has a broken heart, wondering what it did wrong.

“A boat remembering all the good days. Now it has a broken heart, wondering what it did wrong”

Dan I love it.

Read the History of the Vail and Vickers Ranch on Santa Cruz Island.. interesting stuff. Looks like the Family's were going to loose the island to a land grab by the govt. and were forced to sell it.. then got swindled further out of the remaining years when the govt. added restrictions that effectively shut down operations.
Then the Nature Conservancy got involved and decided that somehow slaughtering the non native animals on the island with snipers was ok..

I was luck to grow up spending time on some of the biggest ranches in California as my family had close ties to the family that owned them.. one was still ran by Vaquero's as it had been since it had been part of Mexico.. amazing history.
HOLLYWOOD

Hollywood,

You are mostly right. The National Park Service did buy the ranch from Vail & Vickers but they paid in excess of $50m for it so they were not too badly hurt. It will now remain undeveloped and pristine for as long as we have national parks. The Nature Conservancy owns land on nearby Santa Cruz Island but has no presence on Santa Rosa. By an agreement with the Park Service, Vail and Vickers were to continue the ranching operations for a number of years after sale to the NPS. The NPS was sued by a private individual for not taking proper care of the island and a judge ruled that the ranching operation had to cease. That ended nearly a century of cattle ranching on Santa Rosa Island over three generations.

No ducks about this one. I was unfamiliar with Carri-crafts until this one popped up. Seems like a decent price for a twin diesel 57' 97,000 pound boat at $60K USD. Only 60 cents a pound!

The swimming pool ladder on the starboard side seems misplaced since it doesn't reach the water level but it might be for climbing from a dock. Wonder if the Perkins run? Be sure to notice the cowbell hanging in the pilothouse.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1972/carri-craft-570-catamaran-3542432/?refSource=standard listing

Ad says it "comes with a 60' Slip with live-a-board potential." Might be worth it for that alone. Not bad for a place to live in BC for US$60K. Even if you never move the boat.

Looks like it is here:

Attachments

• boat!.jpg
    boat!.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 89
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 92
Ad says it "comes with a 60' Slip with live-a-board potential." Might be worth it for that alone. Not bad for a place to live in BC for US$60K. Even if you never move the boat.

Looks like it is here:

Please sir, don't put ideas in my head. I'm a young impressionable 42 year old. :lol:

ACANIA is a boat I tried to purchase back in the early 90's back when my dreams were bigger than my wallet. Luckily I was outbid by a guy who could afford a million bucks to restore her properly. Ripped out the twin 6-110's and replaced with CATs and a modern engine room. Twin engines with single rudder. Beautiful boat. Amazing to see that it is still leaking rust though.

Attachments

• acania-3-2-16-sf-olson.jpg
    acania-3-2-16-sf-olson.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 114
  • Acania-Engines.jpg
    Acania-Engines.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
ACANIA is a boat I tried to purchase back in the early 90's back when my dreams were bigger than my wallet. Luckily I was outbid by a guy who could afford a million bucks to restore her properly. Ripped out the twin 6-110's and replaced with CATs and a modern engine room. Twin engines with single rudder. Beautiful boat. Amazing to see that it is still leaking rust though.

Nice ER - Who stole the anchor? What are her dimensions?

Never mind - got it: https://classicyacht.org/boats/acania

Last edited:
Hollywood,

You are mostly right. The National Park Service did buy the ranch from Vail & Vickers but they paid in excess of $50m for it so they were not too badly hurt. It will now remain undeveloped and pristine for as long as we have national parks. The Nature Conservancy owns land on nearby Santa Cruz Island but has no presence on Santa Rosa. By an agreement with the Park Service, Vail and Vickers were to continue the ranching operations for a number of years after sale to the NPS. The NPS was sued by a private individual for not taking proper care of the island and a judge ruled that the ranching operation had to cease. That ended nearly a century of cattle ranching on Santa Rosa Island over three generations.

Actually it was a touch under $30,000,000.

Hereinafter called Grantors, in consideration of Twenty Nine Million, Five Hundred Eighty Thousand Two Hundred Fifty and no 100ths ($29,580,250) DOLLARS, receipt of which is hereby acknowledged, do hereby grant and convery to the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and its assigns, the following described property located in the County of Santa Barbara, State of California containing 53,364.00 acres, more or less; to wit: All of Santa Rosa Island as per U. S. Government Survey of 1862, being the same land and premises patented by the United States of America, October 3, 1871, to M. C. de Jones, et al., which patent was recorded July 20, 1874, in the office of the recorder of said county in Book A, page 202 of Patents…”

and now we know how the indians (oops, native Americans) felt about the white man and their treaties.

I believe Acania had a sister vessel from a different yard. The other last I heard was still moored up the Snohomish river near Everett Wa. She was still amazing on the inside, but pretty much a basket case rotting externally. By this point the current owners would likely pay you if you were willing to sign the title.

Thanks for the tip ghost, but I've done my big "project boat" before. Never again.

The really interesting boats seem to be down under.

Attachments

• BCF.jpg
    BCF.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 64
Greetings,
Mr. D. Wood aside, 7 fuel tanks and only 114 gallon capacity? Either a misprint or a completely inane set up. They might have emptied the toilet bowl for the picture as well....and put the seat down when you're done!!!

200.webp

That listing isn’t doing that boat any favors. I sense an an old cranky guy in here somewhere who is only begrudgingly agreeing to sell the boat.

Back
Top Bottom