Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Attachments

• Willard.jpg
    Willard.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 78
Oh yeah. That’s gonna make someone a nice boat. Not a fan of all the teak, but like everything else!

Here’s a Willard probably a sister ship to the one above.
I like it better. Don’t like the Portuguese bridge on the one above .. dosn’t seem to work well w the boat.

Attachments

• 353540F2-E79A-498C-B1B2-B58201A96FB8.jpg
    353540F2-E79A-498C-B1B2-B58201A96FB8.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 75
Looks like a nice 47 footer repowered with JDs. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to have air conditioning so it would unsuitable on the east coast. Take a look at the fiberglass fuel tanks. That setup may be common but I have never seen it before.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/19...ilothouse-3537664/?refSource=standard listing

I'm assuming you are looking at the round tank. It looks like a holding tank(fresh water?) not a fuel tank. Notice the inspection cover on the wall next to it.

Still a good looking boat for it's age. As the saying goes. I still wouldn't kick her out of bed. :D

Disagree. I miss the Portuguese bridge I had on my N46.
It was a great and safe place to hangout at night when the boat was on autopilot.

Last edited:
I think it would be nice to have one for sure, I just think it looks a little funky on this particular boat for some reason.

I miss the Portuguese bridge I had on my N46. It was a great and safe place to hangout at night when the boat was on autopilot.

It's a shame you don't see true bridge wings on the larger boats. The last time I saw one was on a 100' training ship. But I think it could be done on smaller boats with a full pilothouse on top of the deckhouse.

Disagree. I miss the Portuguese bridge I had on my N46.
It was a great and safe place to hangout at night when the boat was on autopilot.

The one on this particular Willard has an added feature that makes it a very attractive place to hang out :thumb:

Attachments

• Image 5-4-19 at 8.54 AM.jpg
    Image 5-4-19 at 8.54 AM.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
It's a shame you don't see true bridge wings on the larger boats. The last time I saw one was on a 100' training ship. But I think it could be done on smaller boats with a full pilothouse on top of the deckhouse.

I always thought this should qualify as a trawler-style boat. Even has a canoe stern. Bridge wings too.

Edit: It may become available soon if anyone is interested :socool: word is the NPS is finally moving forward with the project to replace her.

[youtube]hMacWBe_7Qk[/youtube]

Last edited:
That Ranger is an awesome ship. It looked like the bow and stern thrusters were really working hard to turn that huge mass.

Back to the Portuguese bridge, it's great to be able to have a safe place to watch stand, day or night, while still safely being inside the boat - that would mean the bulwark being at least 40+ inches high. No salt encrusted windows to look through.

Same thing for bridge wings. Even without docking controls, they would be a great place to hang.

Hmmm, now you guys are giving me ideas for the next boat.....

Nice form, did you know when she will be for sale and at witch price ?
No, no it is not for me , my wife will kill me if I even only thinking that !!

Nice form, did you know when she will be for sale and at witch price ?
No, no it is not for me , my wife will kill me if I even only thinking that !!

I imagine it will go at auction. It will require refitting for saltwater service since it was purpose built for the Great Lakes.

But, if you need to take 124 of your friends and all of their luggage somewhere, and feed them on the way, and tanker diesel for the generators on your private island, and put your more normal-sized cruiser yacht on the deck for the trip...this is the boat for you. A little hard to single-hand her, but so long as you have line attendants at every port of call, it's technically feasible ;)

Last edited:
Thanks, but we found our actual already too big, the former one was perfect (long-cours.62) for all year live aboard and able to go everywhere.The actual is more "luxurious, more equipment , bigger volume etc etc but really not "our" boat...

The Ranger III could be fine ...but not for us !

Now it is witch one on the avatar, below a photo taken on the river, arch removed (we prefer without arch, even my wife want cut all (!!??:eek:) on the fly ...

Attachments

• 100_2035 - Copie.JPG
    100_2035 - Copie.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 101
Not a trawler but I found this quite interesting.... or laughable, take your pick.

Attachments

• YAMAHA.jpg
    YAMAHA.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 169
My first boat was interesting. 1928 44’ converted harbor tug . Straight 8 Chrysler

Attachments

• 1126F9D1-CCCD-477B-B67A-4470A32EFC93.jpg
    1126F9D1-CCCD-477B-B67A-4470A32EFC93.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 117
My first boat was interesting. 1928 44’ converted harbor tug . Straight 8 Chrysler

Love IT! And, her name is right up my alley!

Where in LI do you boat out of? Freeport's Hudson and Woodcleft Canals were my playground 1950's / 60's. Back then boats such as you picture were plentiful. I may have been close to that boat in some yard... as I worked on boats in boat yards while growing up. :dance:

Arc,
Kinda like you’re old boat. Nice open foredeck. Never have been a fan of those round ports though.
Love old straight eights. What brand? Chrysler or Chris Craft, Owens, Universal, Palmer, Redwing, Nordberg, Grey ect ect. But of all those engines (and more) I think Chrysler Marine was the only one w a straight eight. There was a Bar (brand) water cooled manifold for auto-conversions that included the big Roadmaster engine of 320 cu.in. Chris Craft had the relatively popular 160hp flat head engine but it was a 6 cylinder engine. Not an eight. So I think it was only Chrysler that offered a factory made eight cylinder engine.
And I think it wasn’t till the late 50’s that V8 auto based engines were available. And they didn’t go the whole nine yards and put the flywheel on the front of the engine where it belongs IMO. Some auto conversions even used auto transmissions complete w automotive clutches and as far as I know none had fwd mounted flywheels. But after the mid fifties eight cylinder engines were only available w the flywheels on the back of the engine (crankshaft) like cars. The flathead engines w their flywheel on the front were very low in clearance (bottom to top) of the engines so engines could be decked over w much lower decks. But flathead engines were gone by the mid fifties. The boats using auto conversion engines had a clutch pedal like a car. And reverse was not synchromesh then so many/most had a driveshaft brake for faster better shifting.

Of course there’s a lot more to it like down-draft carburetors but ......
Arc, got any more pics?

Last edited:
Arc,
Kinda like you’re old boat. Nice open foredeck. Never have been a fan of those round ports though.
Love old straight eights. What brand? Chrysler or Chris Craft, Owens, Universal, Palmer, Redwing, Nordberg, Grey ect ect. But of all those engines (and more) I think Chrysler Marine was the only one w a straight eight. There was a Bar (brand) water cooled manifold for auto-conversions that included the big Roadmaster engine of 320 cu.in. Chris Craft had the relatively popular 160hp flat head engine but it was a 6 cylinder engine. Not an eight. So I think it was only Chrysler that offered a factory made eight cylinder engine.
And I think it wasn’t till the late 50’s that V8 auto based engines were available. And they didn’t go the whole nine yards and put the flywheel on the front of the engine where it belongs IMO. Some auto conversions even used auto transmissions complete w automotive clutches and as far as I know none had fwd mounted flywheels. But after the mid fifties eight cylinder engines were only available w the flywheels on the back of the engine (crankshaft) like cars. The flathead engines w their flywheel on the front were very low in clearance (bottom to top) of the engines so engines could be decked over w much lower decks. But flathead engines were gone by the mid fifties. The boats using auto conversion engines had a clutch pedal like a car. And reverse was not synchromesh then so many/most had a driveshaft brake for faster better shifting.

Of course there’s a lot more to it like down-draft carburetors but ......
Arc, got any more pics?

When I was in grade school's early years... Our family's 1948 23' Chris Craft Express had rw cooled Chrysler crown six cylinder. 120 hp.; as I recall. That engine pushed us up on plane no prob. At measured mile I believe dad clocker her 25 knots WOT.

Skinny gear shift post was ornate bronze [I'd say about 2'6" tall]. It stood just to left of starboard located steering station. That was nice mahogany full size encasement with read-out dials, salty looking spoke steering wheel [with stainless band around center circle] and bronze single throttle handle protruding out toward top of its right side.

Our Chris had framed canvas top that snapped onto windshield. 6'4" Dad would often flip the canvas back at that location and stand so his eyes were well over windshield frame [actually I think pretty much his whole head was]. When anchoring or docking his left foot's toes would curl around top of shift post for jockeying [I used to marvel at how well his toes grabbed the post's rounded top end... still see that picture in my mind's eye].

Yup... That Chris was more fun than you could imagine. Before we out grew her [we kids simply got too big]... Played with/on her for about 6 years. Dad had her well outfitted. Besides umpteen weekends... Our family of five would spend up to four weeks aboard during New England summers... cruising inland canals and some coastal stuff too. Would often visit Block Island. Even took her a bit above Boston Harbor.

Newb*, can't post photos yet, but I have an "Interesting Boat" and this is why I am rejoining the forum again. I apologize that I am intruding in the conversation, I found it fascinating that this thread existed partly because I know the very boat that started the thread (Romsdahl built "Ulysses"), I lusted after her around the time that photo was posted (2013) but could not convince myself to by a steel boat. This thread has lived on!

I ended up buying, and currently own, a 54' Canoe Stern Trawler, a fiberglass hull with full keel, single screw and built in Chesapeake Bay...making this US built boat very unique. I'm not sure how to post my own photos but I stumbled onto this website where the author saw me cruising the Atlantic ICW, snapped a photo a posted the pic on November 24, 2018. Look for "Esprit", 2 photos, and yes, she hails from Seward Alaska (I'm from Alaska) but she has lived on the East coast, Bahamas and the Caribbean.

image025.jpg

*It has been 6 years since I last posted here. I was locked out of old account and don't have access to the email anymore.

Love IT! And, her name is right up my alley!

Where in LI do you boat out of? Freeport's Hudson and Woodcleft Canals were my playground 1950's / 60's. Back then boats such as you picture were plentiful. I may have been close to that boat in some yard... as I worked on boats in boat yards while growing up. :dance:

I kept it at Mayer’s Marina in College Point. Flushing Bay. Funny story, the transmission had a reverse band that had a mind of it’s own. I was working on the engine and letting it get up to temperature. Well the girls came down and the beers came out. So we’re drinking away and we hear a lot of screaming and yelling. I stick my head out and find reverse decided to work and I had pulled the 60’ Floating dock out the marine with the other boats attached. The marina owner tows it back by the electrical cables. I had no money and owed for my storage also. I repaired the docks , water line, electric line , phone Lines and damaged dock lights. It was the talk of the Bay.

Looks like a nice 47 footer repowered with JDs. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to have air conditioning so it would unsuitable on the east coast. Take a look at the fiberglass fuel tanks. That setup may be common but I have never seen it before.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/19...ilothouse-3537664/?refSource=standard listing

This one was berthed here in Campbell River for the last 2-3 years. Although I was never onboard, she absolutely sparkled on the outside; she appeared to be brand new.

Back
Top Bottom