Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ALL boats rot. Any implication that a Tolly is better built than this gorgeous Monk, built in 1942 and still proudly afloat, is naive.

Yo - Fellow pleasure boat lover!

Don't worry, panties in a wad not necessary! If you had followed my 9,200 plus TF posts for last 8 yrs. I well mentioned many times that there are many boat builds as good as Tollycraft [i.e. Tolly's are also Monk designed craft]. I've been fully into this pleasure boat thang since berth... 67 yrs now.

Having built band new wood and fiberglass boats in a boat builder company [very early 1970's]. Having spent many young years [mid to late 1960's] working on wood boats in New England boat yards. Having spent years [early to mid 1970's] on and/or around wood lobster boats in Penobscot Bay, Maine. Being that Monk Sr. and Jr. both changed from favoring wood to favoring fiberglass as boat building material.

Well, my friend - What I am trying to explain to you - is that- I know - from experience:

Sure... if any well built boat [wood, steel, aluminum, fiberglass, concrete or other material] is cared for well enough [i.e. big, fat, wide-open wallet] it too can be fittingly preserved for a virtual eternity!

However... what I want you to know... is that hands-down... a well built fiberglass boat is much, much less effort to maintain than a well built wood boat. And, that if not constant effort/maintenance is applied to wood or fiberglass boat they each will eventually fall asunder. - - > The well built wood boat will fall-out first! Laws of physics always rule/win in the end!

Happy Pleasure Boating Daze! - Art :speed boat: :dance:

Art wrote;
“Well, my friend - What I am trying to explain to you - is that- I know - from experience:”

Well my friend I hate to say this but it’s no guarantee that w all your experience that you drew the right (correct) conclusions from your experience. IMO I THINK YOU DID but there’s a lot of variables.

There’s a wide range of quality in old wood boats. Materials like white oak frames and yellow cedar double planked well bedded and fastened w monel screws by one of the highly acclaimed builders like Jenson or Vic Frank will rival the durability of a FG boat. Perhaps well exceed the average glass boat. Hull stripping and replacing a balsa cored decks or cabins is almost common but unheard of for wood boats.

You may advise “don’t even think of buying a wood boat” but the boat in question may be a gem like the one described above, in Bristol condition and well cared for.

Lots of variables but of course in general you’re right.
And if you’re as old as I am how long a boat will last is not a good question as the boat would have an excellent chance of well outlasting the owner.

Nomad Willy There’s a wide range of quality in old wood boats. Materials like white oak frames and yellow cedar double planked well bedded and fastened w monel screws by one of the highly acclaimed builders like Jenson or Vic Frank will rival the durability of a FG boat. Perhaps well exceed the average glass boat. Hull stripping and replacing a balsa cored decks or cabins is almost common but unheard of for wood boats. .[/QUOTE said:
I ran into Jensen at the Fisheries swap meet last week, they brought a few sample items but said they were getting rid of everything, had lots of wood to sell. They probably took my reactions the wrong way, cause I suddenly had almost nothing to say.

The continued loss of so many amazing boat yards is just depressing for me.

Art wrote;
“Well, my friend - What I am trying to explain to you - is that- I know - from experience:”

Well my friend I hate to say this but it’s no guarantee that w all your experience that you drew the right (correct) conclusions from your experience. IMO I THINK YOU DID but there’s a lot of variables.

There’s a wide range of quality in old wood boats. Materials like white oak frames and yellow cedar double planked well bedded and fastened w monel screws by one of the highly acclaimed builders like Jenson or Vic Frank will rival the durability of a FG boat. Perhaps well exceed the average glass boat. Hull stripping and replacing a balsa cored decks or cabins is almost common but unheard of for wood boats.

You may advise “don’t even think of buying a wood boat” but the boat in question may be a gem like the one described above, in Bristol condition and well cared for.

Lots of variables but of course in general you’re right.
And if you’re as old as I am how long a boat will last is not a good question as the boat would have an excellent chance of well outlasting the owner.

Eric - You are a kind friend. May the following summer be fun and joy for you and yours! :thumb:

And, you are very correct regarding durability of materials/fasteners/builders mentioned.

Last edited:
I may need to move here

IMG_3033.jpg

IMG_3029.jpg

That looks a little like my dad’s old boat ..21.5 X 103’.

I’ve seen several or more boats like this .. mostly in BC Canada. Love the type but prolly very rolly. May seem more like a real boat in a different color. The red gives her a toy boat essence .. IMO.

There’s one on the hard here in Kitimat. Was owned by an old timer that had a cabin in Kildala Arm who passed away, and someone who worked at the marina bought from his family. Stout little boat.

There’s one on the hard here in Kitimat. Was owned by an old timer that had a cabin in Kildala Arm who passed away, and someone who worked at the marina bought from his family. Stout little boat.

Murray,
Would that boat be blue and white?

My 48 is soft chined, one of the features I adore, though most Tollycraft are hard chined. Monk engineered the soft chine on the 48 and lofted most of the hull forms that I’m aware of.

I was told an interesting story about the 48 Tolly last year by one of the fellows I was talking to about a 48. He said that the 48 was based on a Monk design here in BC called the Gulf Commander. Apparently Tolly liked the hull so they used the hull form in the Tollycraft design. He was not sure about whether the mold was used by Tollycraft or if they built their own mold based on the design, but apparently he had seen correspondence between the manufacturer of the Gulf Commander hull and the Tollycraft folks.

Interesting bit of West Coast history.

I was told an interesting story about the 48 Tolly last year by one of the fellows I was talking to about a 48. He said that the 48 was based on a Monk design here in BC called the Gulf Commander. Apparently Tolly liked the hull so they used the hull form in the Tollycraft design. He was not sure about whether the mold was used by Tollycraft or if they built their own mold based on the design, but apparently he had seen correspondence between the manufacturer of the Gulf Commander hull and the Tollycraft folks.

Interesting bit of West Coast history.

Yes... That is interesting. Owning one myself. I've well followed mid to late 20th Century Tollycraft boat building. As well as being interested in Robert Merland Tollefson's history/background. :popcorn:

Here's a tid bit. In WWII Tolly was captain of rescue tugs. When his crew would get depressed he'd buy them all ice cream! Not too much to do with his boat building ability... but a lot to do with Tolly's nature. :thumb:

Kristen Yachts 50' steel pilothouse

Almost 10 years ago, Hollywood8118 posted this ad for a friend to sell a 2003 Kristen Yachts 50' Pilothouse named Aruna for $725K. The ad is archived and there is no mention of the boat being sold.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s69/steel-passagemaker-sale-1475.html#post1475

Today, the same boat, still named Aruna showed up on Yachtworld for $580K. It appears to be a very nice boat from the pics posted on YW. What I found most interesting is at least some of the pics (and I suspect all of them) are the same pics Hollywood posted 10 years ago. Maybe the broker plans to update them at a future time or maybe the boat doesn't so great anymore.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/20...e-trawler-3533775/?refSource=standard listing

Attachments

• kristen50.jpg
    kristen50.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 308
Almost 10 years ago, Hollywood8118 posted this ad for a friend to sell a 2003 Kristen Yachts 50' Pilothouse named Aruna for $725K. The ad is archived and there is no mention of the boat being sold.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s69/steel-passagemaker-sale-1475.html#post1475

Today, the same boat, still named Aruna showed up on Yachtworld for $580K. It appears to be a very nice boat from the pics posted on YW. What I found most interesting is at least some of the pics (and I suspect all of them) are the same pics Hollywood posted 10 years ago. Maybe the broker plans to update them at a future time or maybe the boat doesn't so great anymore.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2003/kristen-yachts-50-pilothouse-trawler-3533775/?refSource=standard%20listing

She was a great boat, probably still is.

But could the broker get any more lazy than to re post the same shots 8 years later??

Good example of boat depreciation, still a lot of boat for the $

EDIT, looks like she had just under 200 hrs. per year added to the main, so she was used a bit.

HOLLYWOOD

Last edited:
This boat just popped up on my YouTube feed. Don’t think I’ve seen a DD 382 this cheap. And it’s a pretty new build.

I think it’s located in Malaysia however!

https://youtu.be/hyrAVUqB3lo

Last edited:
Dont offer $200K, it might be yours.
Pictures of inside too?
Paint it red so we cannot see the rust?

Back
Top Bottom