Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's a perfect boat for me. It would take a while before I'd be ready to take her on though. :cry:

Greetings,
Mr. M. Re: Post #6789. I think your comment "A lot of work left to do..." is an understatement. I really like the vessel BUT there isn't a whole lot that doesn't need repair/refurbishment/replacement. Looks like she was run hard and put away wet...

OMG - a Wet Boat! :nonono:

Least one could do is spend hours to shamois it off ... :facepalm:

New dock neighbor, a obvious 26 foot Nordic Tug hull with a different house. Spoke to the owner, (3'd) who indicated it to be the prototype hull. I asked about the house which is quite different. Owner only knew the boat was built in l980 which seems about the time Nordic Tug started. The power is original 4-236 Perkins and the boat had been on the hard for 12 years prior to this ownership.
I inquired of Nordic Tug without a response, as to the orthogonality of the indicated remark on this being the original. :dance:
View attachment 86492

Is her name Chloe? If so, she is the keel plug for 26 hulls. If it has a HIN, it should be 26000.

BINGO!!!:thumb::thumb: We have a winner!! Any history? The current owner, a very nice young fellow, would really enjoy, (as I) knowing more!

Not much history so far, although I did find this old photo - the caption indicated that the founder of Nordic Tugs. Jerry Husted, is in the photo.

I think it is referred to as Hull #1. May have originally been named Hvaler used for engine testing. Delivered to Ole and Marge Johansen. Reading through the old news letters, I see that they didn't deliver the hull numbers in order. The delivered some of the the newer and higher priced orders before the older orders as a way to buy new tools and tooling to increase the production rate. Spy was ordered on May 14th and delivered (unfinished) on October 10th, 1981.

Another Nordy wannabe...

You guys in the PNW have it good. Well this steel hull/aluminum superstructure Real Ship pilothouse turned up on YW today. Except for the lack of flybridge rails and the price, I like it. Definitely would have chosen a darker blue for the hull. Oh, and a 60' covered slip in Anacortes Marina can be added for an additional $275K but I am clueless what they mean "for the Manatee".

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2002/real-ships-pilothouse-3527346/?refSource=standard listing

Attachments

• RealShip.jpg
    RealShip.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 84
You guys in the PNW have it good. Well this steel hull/aluminum superstructure Real Ship pilothouse turned up on YW today. Except for the lack of flybridge rails and the price, I like it. Definitely would have chosen a darker blue for the hull. Oh, and a 60' covered slip in Anacortes Marina can be added for an additional $275K but I am clueless what they mean "for the Manatee".

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2002/real-ships-pilothouse-3527346/?refSource=standard listing

I agree, one can almost hear the boat begging for a darker blue.

A fly bridge in AK, WA or the NE, better wear a huge coat and long underwear and mittens for fall and winter cruising, as you escape south.

LOL The price of the covered slip is more than I paid for my boat.

One nice thing about a bigger boat, you have lots of storage room. The owner can store stuff without thinking, "Is this really necessary."

On my little tiny 34ft boat, it has turned to "no room". Take something off before I put something on.

If I discovered more space, my sweet, beautiful, heart of gold, "house mouse" would put more of HER clothes in it, turn and say, "See, all gone." SMILE

Last edited:
Panga....my new favorite boat. I just spent a few days on them on the Cortez side of the Baja and they are a remarkable ride in a variety of conditions. Very versatile, make an excellent dive platform.

Yes Bill,
Re post 96,
And it has a lot to do w aspect aspect ratio. Long narrow boats run very nicely indeed. But w a badly spaced headsea can be hard to deal with. But that applies to all boats.

Also in a narrow boat like that I’d rather have the helm on CL especially if the boat was small.

The picture shows a very attractive boat.

Last edited:
I do like that rope rub rail. Sure would look nice on my American Tug.

OR

An observation: Barring the rope rub rail, I would really like to ditch that chrome strip on my rub rail. On my American Tug, I would like to replace the current rubber rub rail with a rubber rail about 2 or 3 inches (outward) rail. I think it would add to the salty look.

Question: What is the benefit of (on the railing) to slope the verticals forward or only for visual appearance?

Hi,

I have no more thought about this, but I think the inclined posters are a little stronger on the railings that also have a pipe line up, for example, the railings are subjected to force from the bow of the bow, the sloping pole takes more force before it begins to bend vs 90 °.

NBs

Re the Willard in post 08 ..

May be the best yacht hull ever created.
I wish my 30’ Willard had the form of the 36.
Much of my feelings are based on second hand input but most of it is from the hull lines. She’s a little chubby but I’ll bet the chubbyness pays back in spades in the way she rolls and generally behaves at sea or just underway. I really really like a lot boats but I lust after this one. Could be the perfect trawler .. well almost.

Super Duper Boat!!!!!!

It just oozes character and time worn honour. Maybe in retirement we can cruise the coast searching out these old, converted beauties...I can see a book of photographs accompanied with quotes recorded from conversations with the current (and maybe past) owners of the boats. It is thus that dreams are born!

Last edited:
$255,000 CAD for a woody?
Had to look up where Donsan was from to understand this comment

Yes. Washington, BC and Alaska still have beautiful, well cared for, durable, reliable, wooden hulled boats for sale that are valued by their owners and others.

These aren't grandpa's plywood mass produced Chris Crafts. (And no one calls them a woody.)

Donsan,
Some people think with good reason that a wood boat is better.
They quite clearly are better at some aspects of being a boat.
But to put them down as undesirable junk that any fool should know to avoid.

Having said that any fool with any boating experience would know that as people say that so often that only the deaf would not be in the know. But to hold up the “don’t buy a wood boat” as a bit of knowledge that elevates one to “in the know” category and as smarter than most of us is an indication that it may have elements of being not really smart. If one shops with a lot of knowledge and objectivity occasionally one would buy a wood boat.

But if you have limited knowledge and abilities making a rule to never get close to buying a wood boat will serve you well and keep you out of a lot of trouble.
People come on TF eager for knowledge to deal w their FG boat. There’s so much to know. If they applied the same effort to learning about wood boats they’d do fine w a wood boat.

The elephant in the room is knowledge that most all boaters don’t have. 99% of people that say they’d never buy a wood boat just don’t understand them.

Had to look up where Donsan was from to understand this comment

Yes. Washington, BC and Alaska still have beautiful, well cared for, durable, reliable, wooden hulled boats for sale that are valued by their owners and others.

These aren't grandpa's plywood mass produced Chris Crafts. (And no one calls them a woody.)

Spy,
I don’t call any boat a woody. They are wood boats. That’s it.

As for the old plywood boats the ones that spent their lives in a garage or barn and otherwise well cared for can be worth buying. I’d like to find a good cheap 24’ SaberCraft to use as a trailerable cruiser that would cruise at or close to 10 knots w my 60hp big block Suzuki OB. But they sure can pound.

A real beauty! And I'm in the chorus calling for a darker blue hull. Or dark green.
But the first thing I would do if I owned her would be to move the furnace exhaust away from the stern platform. Too easy to burn unsuspecting ankles.

If the furnace is running, who is wearing shorts? Certainly there won’t be many swimmers using the platform at anytime, much less when you need the heat.

You don't have to be wearing shorts to get burned. Any boarding activity or dinghy activity could bring someone near the outlet. Or a polar bear swimmer - they would definitely want the furnace running!

If the furnace is running, who is wearing shorts? Certainly there won’t be many swimmers using the platform at anytime, much less when you need the heat.
Believe me or not but here I've seen some folks wearing short while it was -20C outdoor, not sure they are still alive though :)

L

Donsan,
Some people think with good reason that a wood boat is better.
They quite clearly are better at some aspects of being a boat.
But to put them down as undesirable junk that any fool should know to avoid.

Having said that any fool with any boating experience would know that as people say that so often that only the deaf would not be in the know. But to hold up the “don’t buy a wood boat” as a bit of knowledge that elevates one to “in the know” category and as smarter than most of us is an indication that it may have elements of being not really smart. If one shops with a lot of knowledge and objectivity occasionally one would buy a wood boat.

But if you have limited knowledge and abilities making a rule to never get close to buying a wood boat will serve you well and keep you out of a lot of trouble.
People come on TF eager for knowledge to deal w their FG boat. There’s so much to know. If they applied the same effort to learning about wood boats they’d do fine w a wood boat.

The elephant in the room is knowledge that most all boaters don’t have. 99% of people that say they’d never buy a wood boat just don’t understand them.

Norman,

Good point and wood certainly has its advantages. That's a gorgeous boat, and we can appreciate its looks. However, wood for the most part, is not popular. However, there sure look neat. I drooled over the wooden boats at the Clayton NY wooden boat museum... they are truly stunning.

But, there's a reason folks remove wood and teak and replace with fiberglass.

For those who have owned wooden boats, they can appreciate the maintenance. A nice wooden cap rail is about as much wood as I'd want.

However, this is just an opinion, and others may differ.

For those who have owned wooden boats, they can appreciate the maintenance. A nice wooden cap rail is about as much wood as I'd want.

However, this is just an opinion, and others may differ.

I had a 46N. The rail cap was about 8 inches wide. I turned it over to a professional group to maintain. If I remember correctly, that was the only exterior teak and IMO it was way too much.

SeeVee wrote;
“But, there's a reason folks remove wood and teak and replace with fiberglass.”

A lot of old men in the past have called younger people lazy.
Here’s a repeat from an old man now.
But most all wood boats in the fifties were painted ... not varnished.

SeeVee wrote;
“But, there's a reason folks remove wood and teak and replace with fiberglass.”

A lot of old men in the past have called younger people lazy.
Here’s a repeat from an old man now.
But most all wood boats in the fifties were painted ... not varnished.

Turned [a luckily healthful] 67 yrs. last Wed. In very young years on LI NY South Shore and in The City I worked at "boat yards" on all sorts of wood boats.

Watched and experienced the evolution of FG come onto the market.

I became a near master at applying interior or exterior varnish... just like a mirror! Darn good at straight-up painting too; much of it applied after stripping varnish off a boat.. Also, calked many a hull just before applying bottom paint. As well worked in a new boat builder that constructed both wood and FG boats from the ground up.

Reason I mention the above: I simply LOVE the looks, feel, finish, smell and workability of wood on boats. That said... I've owned wood boats and FG boats. IMO - Wood boats are beautiful art pieces; mostly from yesteryear. Fiberglass boats are the way to go if you don't want to work really hard or pay people to work really hard.

Simple to say... I currently own two FG boats; neither with any exterior wood. Wash n' wear with a simonize every decade [whether needed or not] is all that's required on a good quality FG boat that's kept in fresh water under roof covered floating-finger-docks.

At 67 yrs. I've got way better things to spend time [and/or money] on than weeks to months refinishing a wood boat... over and over again as years/decades progress!

:dance: :speed boat:

I can't top that gorgeous Wahl, but found this: www.pacificboatbrokers.com/used-boats-for-sale/PW5234/classic-yacht.asp?allimages=true#images

Wooden Boats have captured the hearts of a small group of dedicated yachtsmen and women (without both spouses involved, having a second love that takes so much time, effort and money wouldn't happen). Some have been kept to a remarkable standard, of which the Wahl is a great example. Many are kept well, with all of the important stuff properly attended to and a great future ahead of them.
In my own group of boating friends are several who are caretakers of well kept wood boats. Most are quite old, 1912, 1938, 1944 (the boats, not the people) to name only the best kept group. Some were originally built as yachts, some were workboats and have gone through extensive rebuilding to emerge as fine yachts.
Once committed to the care of a quality boat, owners find the craftsmen they need, or aquire the skills themselves, so the work gets done. As well, the seamanship knowledge base in that group of boaters is at the top, as is their willingness to share with others.
I am privileged to call many of the wooden boat group "friends".

Wood is great for small craft, but above that size the care and feeding becomes all-consuming. Great if you love them enough to dedicate the money or, more importantly, the time they demand. In my case even varnished rails are too much commitment!

Back
Top Bottom