Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Attachments

• Huckins.jpg
    Huckins.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 86
I know this boat: she is moored on the same pier as we were last summer at Lamb’s. If you don’t know, Lamb’s is next door to Huckins and Peggy Sue owns at least 5 that they use for charter and that are advertised in Woodenboat for sale in full page ads.

Betsy is a boat that was decades ahead of her time since she was originally built with 4 outboards! Evinrude Sea Drives if I am remembering correctly. I was told of her history by the staff at Lamb’s when I asked about the Huckins that didn’t look like a Huckins or have a Huckins hull.

Is her name Chloe? If so, she is the keel plug for 26 hulls. If it has a HIN, it should be 26000.

BINGO!!!:thumb::thumb: We have a winner!! Any history? The current owner, a very nice young fellow, would really enjoy, (as I) knowing more!

BINGO!!!:thumb::thumb: We have a winner!! Any history? The current owner, a very nice young fellow, would really enjoy, (as I) knowing more!
I'll go through my files when I get home from work this weekend.

I'll go through my files when I get home from work this weekend.

I recall seeing some photos and info on this boat on the Nordic Tugs facebook page (not the factory page). I'll see if I can find it again - it was posted some time ago.

Not much history so far, although I did find this old photo - the caption indicated that the founder of Nordic Tugs. Jerry Husted, is in the photo.

Attachments

• 10384584_10204472235338301_1854569199781339758_n.jpg
    10384584_10204472235338301_1854569199781339758_n.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 74
Greetings,
Mr. M. Re: Post #6789. I think your comment "A lot of work left to do..." is an understatement. I really like the vessel BUT there isn't a whole lot that doesn't need repair/refurbishment/replacement. Looks like she was run hard and put away wet...

Greetings,
Mr. M. Re: Post #6789. I think your comment "A lot of work left to do..." is an understatement. I really like the vessel BUT there isn't a whole lot that doesn't need repair/refurbishment/replacement. Looks like she was run hard and put away wet...

RT, that's the excuse for why I look so bad. Women would just..........

Just saw this in my FB feed. 36ft with a 15ft beam. Looks like a commercial fishing boat hull.

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/...dynamic+re&utm_content=dynamic+retargeting+us

6239764_20170518025650459_1_LARGE.jpg

Must be an old ad, says laying Connecticut.

We were aboard TIME last summer in Desolation Sound, anchored at Prideaux Haven. Didn't get a full tour, nor any hint of a sales pitch, as the owner was then and is now planning his summer of 2019 to again be in Desolation Sound, where we will likely see her again.

The boat is presently kept in Bellingham, Wa.

We were aboard TIME last summer in Desolation Sound, anchored at Prideaux Haven. Didn't get a full tour, nor any hint of a sales pitch, as the owner was then and is now planning his summer of 2019 to again be in Desolation Sound, where we will likely see her again.

Yea, instructions to my bro, "Dont sell the boat until after my funeral. I might get a reprieve or a second chance to be good."
Of course, if I die on the boat and left there until I smell, they might have to clean the fuel tanks, tow it out beyond the 12 mile limit and burn and sink the boat with me in it. Sort of like a Viking funeral LOL

Last edited:

I would like it better if the windows in the house were the tradition opening port holes

Panga....my new favorite boat. I just spent a few days on them on the Cortez side of the Baja and they are a remarkable ride in a variety of conditions. Very versatile, make an excellent dive platform.

Attachments

• 1E4935B9-9D6F-4CFA-B3EC-490C5C4ABE4E.jpg
    1E4935B9-9D6F-4CFA-B3EC-490C5C4ABE4E.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 77
Panga....my new favorite boat. I just spent a few days on them on the Cortez side of the Baja and they are a remarkable ride in a variety of conditions. Very versatile, make an excellent dive platform.

I owned a panga here in Qatar for a few years. Good boat for sheltered waters but I didn't like it 10 miles out except on rare occasions when the water was still.

Must of been a really crappy prep and prime to turn into such a rust bucket

Cool boat though.

HOLLYWOOD

Or just neglected for a while due to ownership complications. Looks like a solid boat that needs some love, and a topside redo..Pretty sure a good deal could be had here. Running rust scares lots of peeps, not as bad as it looks.

It's amazing how quickly a steel boat goes to crap when it isn't constantly cared for. I've even seen Feadships and other big ticket yachts with little rust drips. I knew a guy who was 1st officer on a mega yacht who told me stories of them attacking the chain locker with a sledge hammer to remove chunks of rust, and this with a full time crew.

It's amazing how quickly a steel boat goes to crap when it isn't constantly cared for. I've even seen Feadships and other big ticket yachts with little rust drips. I knew a guy who was 1st officer on a mega yacht who told me stories of them attacking the chain locker with a sledge hammer to remove chunks of rust, and this with a full time crew.

Hi,

Based on my findings, the question is how well the steel pre-treated, primed and actual painting is handled in the new build stage. A steel boat of high quality requires only the latest treatment in 15-20 years if you want it to be new.

Exaple https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2000/linssen-grand-sturdy-500-variotop-3014559/

Build 2000 and new paint 2015 and like new outsides

Or 1966 build steel motor yatch http://approvedboats.com/co-brokera...dship-hull-589-amsterdam-netherlands-5412656/

NBs

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. SoF. Not scared of "running rust" in the least. Aside from some cabinetry and the flooring, pretty well everything needs refurbishment to make the vessel half way presentable. Aged electronics, most, if not all widows/ports need rebedding and most probably re-gasketing, wiring and plumbing appear questionable...or maybe it's just me.

200.webp

I do like that rope rub rail. Sure would look nice on my American Tug.

OR

An observation: Barring the rope rub rail, I would really like to ditch that chrome strip on my rub rail. On my American Tug, I would like to replace the current rubber rub rail with a rubber rail about 2 or 3 inches (outward) rail. I think it would add to the salty look.

Question: What is the benefit of (on the railing) to slope the verticals forward or only for visual appearance?

Question: What is the benefit of (on the railing) to slope the verticals forward or only for visual appearance?

Funny you say that. One of the major visual differences between American Tugs (and new Nordic Tugs) and older Nordic Tugs is the sloped vs. plumb stanchions. Plumb look more stately to me.

Funny you say that. One of the major visual differences between American Tugs (and new Nordic Tugs) and older Nordic Tugs is the sloped vs. plumb stanchions. Plumb look more stately to me.

IF the intend is to make the boat look faster, slope them aft. LOL

If it wasn't so expensive I would have my railing reworked for the stanchions were vertical to the deck.

Greetings,
Mr. SoF. Not scared of "running rust" in the least. Aside from some cabinetry and the flooring, pretty well everything needs refurbishment to make the vessel half way presentable. Aged electronics, most, if not all widows/ports need rebedding and most probably re-gasketing, wiring and plumbing appear questionable...or maybe it's just me.

200.webp

I would have that boat shining like a new penny in a week with 2 of my deckhands working with me... I could live with less than yacht quality cabinets and flooring. Just give me solid a solid power plant (doesn't get simpler than a 4-71N) good steel and beefy ground tackle....18 months until retirement...

IF the intend is to make the boat look faster, slope them aft. LOL

If it wasn't so expensive I would have my railing reworked for the stanchions were vertical to the deck.

IMO, vertical along the length of a boat but then sloping forward at the bow to emulate and enhance the stem. Unless you have a plumb bow (stem) then straight.

Attachments

• 01 Willard 62.JPG
    01 Willard 62.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 02 Willard 62.JPG
    02 Willard 62.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 03 Willard 62.JPG
    03 Willard 62.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 04 Willard 62.JPG
    04 Willard 62.JPG