Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited:
I wonder how these narrow boat would do on the ICW.

We spent a week on the canals in Wales. The steel boat was about 35x7’ with a small Diesel engine. Very relaxing, cruising at walking speed, tie to tow path for overnight just about anywhere but near a pub preferred. Came with a crank handle to operate the small drawbridges. Best parts where through dark tunnels and over the Pontcysyllte aqueduct, a narrow iron channel about 300 yards long and 100’+ in the air.

I’ve often wondered that myself. A nice widebeam or Dutch barge would be my choice. They are quite a bit more expensive though.

I’ve often wondered that myself. A nice widebeam or Dutch barge would be my choice. They are quite a bit more expensive though.

The UK narrow boats have a narrow beam compared to their length.
In my case, a steel boat. A 100+ wood hull not so much interest.
Plus the additional equipment ie A/C, Gen, sanitary tank.

Last edited:
They are very narrow and usually soft chine so very rolly in open water. Dutch barges and their variants are much more roomy and stable. They can pack on the weight and not impact draft but an inch or two. Here's one I would like to build.

45' long 12' beam draft 2'4" roguhly.

Motor Boats over 30'

Teign Motor Barge

Teignd1.gif

RB - Nice boat. Do you have access to stats?

RB - Nice boat. Do you have access to stats?

LOA: 23,9 m
Beam: 5,76 m
Draft: 0,90 m
Displacement: 40 tons (full load)
Cruising speed: 17 knots
top speed: 25 knots
Material: Glas fibre & sandwich epoxy
Interiör: Oak
Fuel: 4 000 l
Water: 1 100 l
Engine: 2xVolvo Penta D11 IPS800 à 625 hk
Gear: 1,70:1
Generator: 2xKohler 20 kW
Batteries: 1 440 Ah Lithiumjon
Electronics: Raymarine G-serien
Designer: German Mani Frers
Interior: Design Unlimited

https://www.balticyachts.fi/yachts/baltic-my-78-custom/

Thanks for stats. Do you know fuel usage at cruise and hull speed?

LOA: 23,9 m
Beam: 5,76 m
Draft: 0,90 m
Displacement: 40 tons (full load)
Cruising speed: 17 knots
top speed: 25 knots
Material: Glas fibre & sandwich epoxy
Interiör: Oak
Fuel: 4 000 l
Water: 1 100 l
Engine: 2xVolvo Penta D11 IPS800 à 625 hk
Gear: 1,70:1
Generator: 2xKohler 20 kW
Batteries: 1 440 Ah Lithiumjon
Electronics: Raymarine G-serien
Designer: German Mani Frers
Interior: Design Unlimited

https://www.balticyachts.fi/yachts/baltic-my-78-custom/

Hi / Hej

Thanks for sharing this interesting boat. I did not know Baltic Yatch also built motorboats. Generally, they build quite a nice sail yatch like Pink Gin.

https://youtu.be/_nb-iStiJeA

balticyachts_pinkgin_sailing_03.jpg

more info https://www.balticyachts.fi/yachts/baltic-175-pink-gin-vi/

P.S You also have a fine beanie (pipo) that gives more sea man, pic your home site.

NBs

Computationally, it could speculate at about 17 gallons of about 46 gallons / hour and maybe 9 gallons of dicplacemet speed 10 to 11, a rough estimate

NBs

No I haven't checked into that. Not really familiar with the yacht either - even though I've been visiting the yard.

Hi / Hej

Thanks for sharing this interesting boat. I did not know Baltic Yatch also built motorboats. Generally, they build quite a nice sail yatch like Pink Gin.

NBs

No it (motoryachts) is not their trademark exactly - or far from.
But they have had their hands on a few through the years.

Yes the beanie is important when exploring the archipelago.

Originally Posted by North Baltic sea
Computationally, it could speculate at about 17 gallons of about 46 gallons / hour and maybe 9 gallons of dicplacemet speed 10 to 11, a rough estimate

Sorry 17kn no gallons:blush:

At 17kn cruise, 0.37 nm per gallon... 3 +/- gal per nm...

Originally Posted by North Baltic sea

At 17kn cruise, 0.37 nm per gallon... 3 +/- gal per nm...

My thik, boat have 2*635Hp and 80% load is about 1000hp * 0,18 =180 litres/hours

180l/17kn=10,7litres/nm=about 3gal per nautical mail.

This has given pretty good precision to my all boats, of course I do not know the load% runs at 17kn but the often rated cruise speed is about 80% of all the power. Likewise, the coefficient 0.18-0.20 works on new common rail engines fairly evenly on all HP, at least for my cummin qsb.

It may be that IPS technology can shift power more efficiently into water and fuel consumption would be smaller, at least VP promises IPS to be the most effective way.

NBs

Last edited:
My thik, boat have 2*635Hp and 80% load is about 1000hp * 0,18 =180 litres/hours

180l/17kn=10,7litres/nm=about 3gal per nautical mail.

This has given pretty good precision to my all boats, of course I do not know the load% runs at 17kn but the often rated cruise speed is about 80% of all the power. Likewise, the coefficient 0.18-0.20 works on new common rail engines fairly evenly on all HP, at least for my cummin qsb.

NBs

I get your point; thanks, math looks good.

1000 nm travel at 17 knt cruise =1000 mi travel in 59 hrs. using 3000 gals @ $4.00 +/- per gal = $12,000 fuel in 2.46 days.

As TV ads say for promoting a charge card. "What's in your wallet?" - LOL

Did you notice how they moved the boat with compressed air on air bearings! That was pretty cool! Loved the hull form, right until I saw the Volvo Pod drives.

I kind of like some parts of the hull shape and those IPS pods are most certainly OK by me.
However the boat is much too fast and way too fuel thirsty for my liking. Neither am I really fond of all the design features.

I did see it live from a distance when they did some test drives in the region.

hi,

In this small boat factory (2 boats / year) an interesting and economical, yet good seaworthiness to the coast waters, boat is Marsund 30 '. The boat has an SD cruise speed of 15kn of 3.8nm / gal Yanmar 110hp, price is about 105000$ EXW Finland, tax0%.

More pic https://www.marsund.fi/galleria

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

Last edited:
hi,

In this small boat factory (2 boats / year) an interesting and economical, yet good seaworthiness to the coast waters, boat is Marsund 30 '. The boat has an SD cruise speed of 15kn of 3.8nm / gal Yanmar 110hp, price is about 105000$ EXW Finland, tax0%.

Nice boat. For my use I would prefer it if they would shorten the cockpit a bit and increase the cabin size. Don't need both a big cockpit and that big a swim step. Wonder how much it would cost to get one in the US?

Nice boat. For my use I would prefer it if they would shorten the cockpit a bit and increase the cabin size. Don't need both a big cockpit and that big a swim step. Wonder how much it would cost to get one in the US?

From an appearance perspective it looks like a successor to the Albin 25.

hi,

That's an amazing price. Almost hard to believe. The Finns are now and have always made some very fine boats. And with very clever use of interior space. I was stricken with a Targa I saw in Victoria that I thought was about the ultimate sport Fisher for the PNW. 44 knots gets you to where the first are, for sure.

https://www.targa.fi/boats/32

A bit of proud history for sale.

WHAT does POA stand for?

It would be nice to see more pictures, without contacting the owner and getting him/her all excited.

Price on application (same as our POR), I believe.

Back
Top Bottom