Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, day dream to me:whistling:.

Unbelievable what all 55 'Trawler can offer space. Included is own car, tender, copter, wov:eek:.

I think Great Harbor has been a model for this custom built steel Trawler.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/20...0/Poulsbo/WA/United-States?refSource=enhanced

iu

Maybe the finest about 50 feet of Trawler he ever saw, of me!

NBs

Last edited:
Hi, day dream to me:whistling:.

Unbelievable what all 55 'Trawler can offer space. Included is own car, tender, copter, wov:eek:.

I think Great Harbor has been a model for this custom built steel Trawler.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/20...0/Poulsbo/WA/United-States?refSource=enhanced listing#.W54R25VRdMs

iu

NBs
Florida Bay Coasters...Predated Great Harbors by years. Made years ago in Green Cove Springs for a while by Ruben Trane . Made other places as well. Billy Joel had one Called "Red Head",now owned by Active captain originator Jeff....

I read everything - including all that is on Teddi Bear | A Jay Benford Small Ship

Best planned-out miniature ship [errrr large pleasure boat] I can recall.

Some of the stats are simply remarkable... such as 13K + miles on one screw at 4.5 +/- knots. And, a 20' + beam on a 55" LOA boat is unusual for sure. Along with the multi levels of living, storage, outdoor fun areas and mechanical spaces provided. Not to mention helicopter pad as well as big runabout and mid sized car storage/crane!

Amazing how wide to the sides of boat the twins' props are in photo of haul-out. That feature along with bow and stern thrusters must make handling that boat a breeze in tight docking situations.

About the only draw backs I can see, resulting from all the well planned space aboard, is the huge "sail" factor of so many tall above deck superstructure areas and the beating that superstructure would take if really hard sea conditions were ever encountered. With that said... the 20' + beam on a 55'er would do a lot to help keep her upright during nearly any sea condition encountered.

Yup - Teddi Bear is One Heck of a Boat!! :thumb:

We were fortunate (again) to have an opportunity to view Teddi Bear at a Trawler Fest maybe 2 years ago. In person, she indeed appears to be all Art said...and very impressive. I came away telling my wife that if we had the money, we would be having a serious conversation.

My unanswered question is - can she reasonably prepared for crossing oceans? Are the design factors suitable for ocean crossing work?

My unanswered question is - can she reasonably prepared for crossing oceans? Are the design factors suitable for ocean crossing work?

It isn't stabilized, which would be nice on open water. I don't think it was designed as a LRC but more of a coastal cruiser.

It isn't stabilized, which would be nice on open water. I don't think it was designed as a LRC but more of a coastal cruiser.

I'd say it was designed as a really cool cruising "live-a-board"! What's not to like!!!

We were fortunate (again) to have an opportunity to view Teddi Bear at a Trawler Fest maybe 2 years ago. In person, she indeed appears to be all Art said...and very impressive. I came away telling my wife that if we had the money, we would be having a serious conversation.

It was designed and marketed as “The Florida Bay Coaster” and since Florida bays are just warm bathtubs, I would say probably not.

Attachments

• FLORIDA-BAY_COASTER-35_36.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
  • 38.5BayCoaster.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 34
I dearly love those Coasters, ...even thought I’d end up with one, but when I got aboard a 45 footer in Ft. Lauderdale, it was just too much boat for me. It had a very nice utility workshop but the ER itself was half height. In the end, I went in search of the most similar boat (in concept) that I could find. If Water Lilly came on the market, I’d suffer.

I bet they don’t put the bathtub on the top floor :eek:

She'd have to be renamed "TARDIS" if I had her.

Downsizing?? I like looks o' yours better... especially the hull!

Apropos rename... Her inside is cool! 20' + beam helps that happen.

Last edited:
I've always been told that's about the worst thing to do to a sound hull

Not so, I have a 18 foot 1936 Poulsbo Skiff Cedar on oak, that was in such shape that fiberglass was the last resort. I have owned the boat for over 40 years from when it was glassed by persons who like the application in those days, lacked experienced as it was new process. So several layers of cloth both the heavy glass and then the lighter grade. If done today, stainless staples would be used, back then none were used yet the bond is currently and for all these years, in excellent shape, giving hours of pleasure hull wise free.

Al-Ketchikan

Not so, I have a 18 foot 1936 Poulsbo Skiff Cedar on oak, that was in such shape that fiberglass was the last resort. I have owned the boat for over 40 years from when it was glassed by persons who like the application in those days, lacked experienced as it was new process. So several layers of cloth both the heavy glass and then the lighter grade. If done today, stainless staples would be used, back then none were used yet the bond is currently and for all these years, in excellent shape, giving hours of pleasure hull wise free.

Al-Ketchikan

That's good to hear... for you AL! How many lbs. increased weight do you believe was added? Was it applied to bottom only or hull sides and transom too?

Art,
Don’t you remember the pics Al posted about 8 years ago?
I’ve always heard of then refered to as “Poulsbo Boats”.
When I was a young man I lusted badly for them. Think the 18’ was the biggest ever made.

I read everything - including all that is on Teddi Bear | A Jay Benford Small Ship

Best planned-out miniature ship [errrr large pleasure boat] I can recall.

Some of the stats are simply remarkable... such as 13K + miles on one screw at 4.5 +/- knots. And, a 20' + beam on a 55" LOA boat is unusual for sure. Along with the multi levels of living, storage, outdoor fun areas and mechanical spaces provided. Not to mention helicopter pad as well as big runabout and mid sized car storage/crane!

Amazing how wide to the sides of boat the twins' props are in photo of haul-out. That feature along with bow and stern thrusters must make handling that boat a breeze in tight docking situations.

About the only draw backs I can see, resulting from all the well planned space aboard, is the huge "sail" factor of so many tall above deck superstructure areas and the beating that superstructure would take if really hard sea conditions were ever encountered. With that said... the 20' + beam on a 55'er would do a lot to help keep her upright during nearly any sea condition encountered.

Yup - Teddi Bear is One Heck of a Boat!! :thumb:

Hi, thank you for your post and link, very interesting to read.:thumb:

We watched the admiral with this trawler and the fever rises. Luckily, the ship is US and we in Finland so it's only dreaming, maybe we should change to live in US hmm ...:popcorn:

NBs

Art,
Don’t you remember the pics Al posted about 8 years ago?
I’ve always heard of then refered to as “Poulsbo Boats”.
When I was a young man I lusted badly for them. Think the 18’ was the biggest ever made.

Eric - Not till Feb 2019 will I have been 8 yrs. contributing to and learning from posts on TF. Al must have posted about that boat just before I chimed in to the threads... otherwise I simply missed it when entering as a newbie on TF. :popcorn:

It was designed and marketed as “The Florida Bay Coaster” and since Florida bays are just warm bathtubs, I would say probably not.

Of course there is the option of having it shipped. I have no idea what it would cost and how long it would take. I also recall, the arrival date is sort of flexible too. They deliver the more important things first.

Of course there is the option of having it shipped. I have no idea what it would cost and how long it would take. I also recall, the arrival date is sort of flexible too. They deliver the more important things first.

My dentist lives on his Benford designed FL Bay coaster here in Chicago year round.

My dentist lives on his Benford designed FL Bay coaster here in Chicago year round.

Does he have warm hands in the winter?

Is he single? Wives seldom tolerate a boat in the winter unless it is very warm on the boat and close to all her friends and she has a job off the boat to distract her.

Girlfriends will tolerate pretty much everything and the boat in the winter until after the "I do"s are swapped.

I learned this from the same woman. That lesson cost me $35K plus her lawyer's fees. (Thank you pre-nup)

To quote her directly, "I liked a lot of things before we got married."

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Do not feel bad or sad for her. She had the next boyfriend 'in tow' and went to Europe with him immediately after the divorce was final.

Best $35K+ I have ever spent.
:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

Is he single? Wives seldom tolerate a boat in the winter unless it is very warm on the boat and close to all her friends and she has a job off the boat to distract her.

Girlfriends will tolerate pretty much everything and the boat in the winter until after the "I do"s are swapped.

I learned this from the same woman. That lesson cost me $35K plus her lawyer's fees. (Thank you pre-nup)

Do not feel bad or sad for her. She had the next boyfriend 'in tow' and went to Europe with him immediately after the divorce was final.

Q. Why do divorces cost so much?
A. Because they're worth it. :D

Ted

Q. Why do divorces cost so much?
A. Because they're worth it. :D

Ted

Oh, I forgot. Add in another $35K for her attorney and then there we my lawyer fees.
So all in all, a bit over $100 K

OK Dan - Cough it up! How many years ago was that???

$35K these days hardly buys a good used car!

And, just for S n' Giggles... now this gets real personal - lol... what was your and her age difference?

Although older cars begin to cost less and less... older gals often cost more and more... to get out from under them that is!! :facepalm: :rofl: :lol:

OK Dan - Cough it up! How many years ago was that???

$35K these days hardly buys a good used car!

And, just for S n' Giggles... now this gets real personal - lol... what was your and her age difference?

Although older cars begin to cost less and less... older gals often cost more and more... to get out from under them that is!! :facepalm: :rofl: :lol:

What saved my ass was my prenup.
She even wanted visitation rights to my Nordhavn46.

Hey, I bought a used 2015 MKZ for 25000 about a year ago.
The LAST divorce, at least 5+ years ago.
Age difference about 4 years.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom