Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I guess it is fairly cheap for a 31' 2008 model. The oarlock kind of confuses me as does the head but I do like the canoe stern. Kinda looks like a sail boat without the sail. And low hours on the 85hp Saab!

2008 SAFE Boats 31 CC Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

That is a weird boat... very weird!

Well, I guess it is fairly cheap for a 31' 2008 model. The oarlock kind of confuses me as does the head but I do like the canoe stern. Kinda looks like a sail boat without the sail. And low hours on the 85hp Saab!

That is a weird boat... very weird!

That appears to be an enclosed lifeboat conversion. From my research, they seem to be getting popular around the canals of Europe as a cheap alternative to land based living. I have considered converting one to liveaboard trawler duty. They're hard to find around the US and are expensive when one comes up.

That appears to be an enclosed lifeboat conversion.

Yup, that is what it is advertised as. It has an 8 foot beam so it should trailerable. Wondering about the reliability of the Saab diesel and also its marinization.

After doing an internet search, I am suspecting the power plant is actually a Sabb F4.415 85hp. Not familiar with that engine either.

Last edited:
The Sabb diesel is no longer made but is considered ultra reliable. Norweigian company. It is not the same company as Saab, the car company.

Many were built as lifeboat engines. They generally were set up to be started by a method other than battery powered starter.

I wonder why there is no profile picture? Could it be that the boat is so ugly even the seller cannot bear to look at it?

Just imagining that as a lifeboat.......Seas are so rough that your 600 foot cargo ship is overwhelmed....you take to the lifeboats....and some poor bastard has to stand on the roof of it exposed while everyone else is safe inside.

Yup, that is what it is advertised as. It has an 8 foot beam so it should trailerable. Wondering about the reliability of the Saab diesel and also its marinization.

After doing an internet search, I am suspecting the power plant is actually a Sabb F4.415 85hp. Not familiar with that engine either.

I only saw a pic of it and not a very good one. Adblocker kicked in and stopped the rest of the page from loading. There must be some pretty sketchy embedded ads on that site.

I can’t imagine a more rolly boat underway than a lifeboat. Looks like it won’t capsize, but I think it would roll horribly even in small seas.

https://youtu.be/DLWsbyTxpns

Last edited:
Just imagining that as a lifeboat.......Seas are so rough that your 600 foot cargo ship is overwhelmed....you take to the lifeboats....and some poor bastard has to stand on the roof of it exposed while everyone else is safe inside.

I think that was added on. The little hump with windows is usually where the operator stands inside.

Ahh. Gotcha. I know nothing about them, obviously.

I don't know why that quoted both posts.

Best thing about a life boat like that - don't ever plan to need nor own one!

Another roller?

Attachments

• P1000572.jpg
    P1000572.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 76
  • prototype001.jpg.w560h420.jpg
    prototype001.jpg.w560h420.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 81

You can check on your dinner slowly cooking while sitting on the head bowl, isn’t it a great feature ? And even better your friends having a drink can check on you too at the same time!

L

The only thing I can think to say in it's defense is that it's the perfect next boat for the couple who ran aground and crowd funded a new boat a few months back.

This is not the old low-speed Sabb, it's a four cylinder Ford conversion.

That appears to be an enclosed lifeboat conversion. From my research, they seem to be getting popular around the canals of Europe as a cheap alternative to land based living. I have considered converting one to liveaboard trawler duty. They're hard to find around the US and are expensive when one comes up.

I see these boats advertised in trade pubs frequently. I bet she was purchased for less than $10k.
There is not much of a secondary resale market so they are sold cheap. I would be seasick on the ICW in one of those. At sea ,I'd be too scared and probably wouldn't even think about being sick if my ship just sunk,lol!

I see these boats advertised in trade pubs frequently. I bet she was purchased for less than $10k.
There is not much of a secondary resale market so they are sold cheap. I would be seasick on the ICW in one of those. At sea ,I'd be too scared and probably wouldn't even think about being sick if my ship just sunk,lol!
:thumb:

When I see them after being removed from the ships, they are usually in the $20,000 to $35,000. $10,000 wouldn't be to bad if everything on them works and they operate properly. I'm sure they sell for less, especially conversions.

Here are a couple of boats I found interesting. Location Lulu's Homeport Marina Orange Beach, Alabama. Lulu is Jimmy Buffet's sister.
The steel trawler is Ulysses (and for sale) the sailboat is "Old Squaw"

I know this is an old post, but there was one of these exact boats the other day at Stingarees on the ICW in Bolivar Texas.

I had never seen one before. I know its a pilothouse motorsailer, but what brand/make is it?

attachment.php

I know this is an old post, but there was one of these exact boats the other day at Stingarees on the ICW in Bolivar Texas.

I had never seen one before. I know its a pilothouse motorsailer, but what brand/make is it?

attachment.php

Fisher 30 footer

My imagination has so many ideas running through it for that boat. Unfortunately, my pocketbook says nope. Not even if it were offered for free. The fuel bill on that old girl is probably outrageous. It is a pretty nice hull though. I bet she slips through the water without much disturbance.

Polar Star, Use to run up here to Ketchikan area. I think you are correct in calling it military. I would think ex-Coast Guard. It was employed as a tug while in Alaska service, (Best of memory, it was many years back:blush:)

Al-Ketchikan

A "Yacht" is any boat that's fancier than whatever my current boat is.

Speaking of extending boats (and maybe meandering back toward the "interesting boats" topic), when we were in the Canadian Maritimes two seasons ago, the big thing was to split the fishing boats lengthwise and WIDEN them. I saw one undergoing this process but couldn't get close enough (weekend, the yard was closed) to really see how it was done.

I was told it's because the Canadian government was regulating the length of fishing boats, but not the width. Not to disparage another government, but that sounds almost as stupid as something OUR government would do!

And if you visit Prince Rupert B.C, Canada, you will witness a very high percentage of the commercial boats with deck high many feet extensions out over the aft supported with jill poles back to the stern. On pleasure boats they add several feet in length swim steps. All of this I had guessed was to avoid tax on the keel length. I say this as Alaska has such a rule for commercial salmon seiners. Years ago, many boats exceeding that length had their bows cut off and a new stem with extremely forced planking. They appeared if looked at in the right light, as though the planks would spring out and off the tension was visual.
I my self have recently decided to do a swim step extension to our boat, the current swim step is 21 inches which at my age, presents an on going sweat that I will bump my butt against the stern while engaged with the OB or the RIB resulting in an overboard issue. We are going to extend the step with a 30 inch diamond plate aluminum sheet that will bolt to the current step.

Al-Ketchikan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom