Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, I will say it. $1.9 for a project boat? Hello???

Hello???

It's probably in NZ dollars, so is "only" 1.3 million US :socool:

Asking price and selling price are seldom the same...

I repeat OD's statement - "HELLO!!!! :dance: :facepalm:

Asking price is 695K, taxes are $1,205,000. that makes the taxes almost the twice the asking price for the boat.

...available as is for $695,000 plus GST of completed $1.9m plus GST plus extras

Think that should read, "...as is for $695,000 plus GST or 1.9m completed..."

As is...$484,000 US

Let's see...... $1M or even a much lower $484K... :dance:

For a one-off boat that can't be used while investing many multi thousand dollar$ as well as multi hundred hour$ effort - on a - one-off boat that looses $$$ value every day of its life upon expensive completion. :facepalm:

I like $$ risk and have made money on boats before... this one is not a risk that feels correct! :D

Let's see...... $1M or even a much lower $484K... :dance:

For a one-off boat that can't be used while investing many multi thousand dollar$ as well as multi hundred hour$ effort - on a - one-off boat that looses $$$ value every day of its life upon expensive completion. :facepalm:

I like $$ risk and have made money on boats before... this one is not a risk that feels correct! :D

Some people buy a boat to fulfill a dream, not as a money making investment.

I could see someone snapping up a bare hull once the price drops in time, fitting it out in 'fine workboat' styling, and cruising the world.

Some people buy a boat to fulfill a dream, not as a money making investment.

I could see someone snapping up a bare hull once the price drops in time, fitting it out in 'fine workboat' styling, and cruising the world.

M - You are of course correct!

Me saying... "have made money on boats before"... does not mean every boat. Such as - I doubt the Tolly we currently have owned for nearly 10 full years already could possiably be $$$ profitable when we sell in about 25 years from now! Although she will then be a really classic collector 66 yr. old boat still in darn good condition. Maybe she'll be worth a fortune! :thumb: I doubt it!! :lol:

I see that now. Pretty beamie and heavy for travel projections provided. https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boa...cc7dcd44202218

"Topsides are 8 mm. This Vessel is easily driven with an estimated range of 5,000 miles at 9 knots, 4,000 miles at 9 1/2 , 3,000 miles at 10 knots.

Gardner [150 hp] diesel powered

22m LOA and 5.4m beam, 36,500 tonnes and available as is for $695,000 plus GST of completed $1.9m plus GST plus extras."

If this is not a home built, how to you make a Tier Zero motor like a Gardner legal in the US or the EU? I know a backyard builder can use any engine they want, but I thought actual boatbuilders had restrictions as to the emissions level of their new builds. Used boats are one thing, but can you even import a new build with a Gardner if boats have to meet the emission standards in effect at the time of construction?

Last edited:
Egad...

More money than brains?

Adding 36' amidship to a 170' yacht, including two 4'x6' windows through the bottom of the hull.

Last edited:
Why? If you love the boat, think it's just a bit too small and don't want to wait 3 to 5 years for a new build, why not drop an engineered plug into the middle? An older owner may indeed have a lot more money than time.

Last edited:
Maybe a business rival had a 200' yacht built...if so, it makes complete sense :confused:

Wasn't too many years ago, it was common for an 90-100ft owner to add 20-30 ft to his fiberglass boat. It was faster and less expensive than a new build. Plus there was that ego thing.... my boat is bigger than yours etc.

Why? If you love the boat, think it's just a bit too small and don't want to wait 3 to 5 years for a new build, why not drop an engineered plug into the middle? An older owner may indeed have a lot more money than time.

I do hope, when they added those 4 staterooms, the enlarge the galley and crew quarters too.

If you can afford 170' another 36' is no big deal. It's not like crew or fuel expenses will go up. As for how large someone's boat should be whose business is it but the owners?

If you can afford 170' another 36' is no big deal. It's not like crew or fuel expenses will go up. As for how large someone's boat should be whose business is it but the owners?

Is this not a thread to comment on boats we find interesting?

...or maybe you're considering a 38' extension and I've offended you ;)

The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.

Right...witnessed that in the sandbox...the "My Tonka toy is bigger than yours" mindset.

Right...witnessed that in the sandbox...the "My Tonka toy is bigger than yours" mindset.

When I had a 46ft boat, I called it a little bitty boat. Some folks thought it was a big boat.
Now, I have a 34ft boat, I still call it a little bitty boat. Still, some folk think I have a big boat.

IMO, only those with ego problems refer their boat as a yacht. Granted there is a time and a place to call it a 'ship' too. LOL

What makes a boat a yacht? As far as I am concerned, my little plywood knock together, not a straight damn line on the boat, dingy is a yacht. :rofl:

A "Yacht" is any boat that's fancier than whatever my current boat is.

Speaking of extending boats (and maybe meandering back toward the "interesting boats" topic), when we were in the Canadian Maritimes two seasons ago, the big thing was to split the fishing boats lengthwise and WIDEN them. I saw one undergoing this process but couldn't get close enough (weekend, the yard was closed) to really see how it was done.

I was told it's because the Canadian government was regulating the length of fishing boats, but not the width. Not to disparage another government, but that sounds almost as stupid as something OUR government would do!

I saw an ad for a boat where they said they added six inches to the hull... Not even a foot! Talk about knowing what you want!

I saw an ad for a boat where they said they added six inches to the hull... Not even a foot! Talk about knowing what you want!

Must have been wife's decision. in certain realms six added inches sounds like a whole lot! - :thumb: LOL :rofl: :socool:

Must have been wife's decision. in certain realms six added inches sounds like a whole lot! - :thumb: LOL :rofl: :socool:

People always want a little more than what they got, eh?

(But that sounds kinda painful?)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom