Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's a nice little boat with potential. Webbers Cove Trawler 34. I would be interested in it if I weren't involved in so many projects here at home. I could bring her up to my place in the upstate, give'er a good working over, and really be set when my son goes off to the air force in 2021, possibly even sooner.

https://charleston.craigslist.org/boa/d/webbers-cove-trawler-34/6556279766.html

01212_lWyrRM9zMnE_600x450.jpg

Is there a place that doesn't have at least 2 tidal change in 24 hours?

Yep, Pamlico and Albermarle Sound in NC. Wind tide only. (well maybe 1" or so of lunar tide)

Damn, it’s like a fast running river. Beautiful, but extra gnarly.

What is gnarly about it?

The boat in the video just cruises on through like nothing is happening. Doesn't seem the least bit bothered.

Is there a place that doesn't have at least 2 tidal change in 24 hours?

Yep, Pamlico and Albermarle Sound in NC. Wind tide only. (well maybe 1" or so of lunar tide)

Lake St Clair between Detroit and Canada has a wind tide also.

They use or used to use small tugs, similar to this tug, in log or mill ponds, moving logs to the feed chain, to the saws. The tugs were way over powered and effective.

Still do. Saw several last summer in BC.

Short video about the 100 year old halibut schooner, Vansee, which is still fishing halibut to this day:

Dude, the PNW has nothing on the St. Lucie Inlet on a bad day. Oops, that's near your boat. :eek:

I think so RT . At first I thought it was a Cheoy Lee but after looking hard at it I think it’ s Burger.

I used to own a 65ft Burger in steel. Very classic styling. 65 years after construction it still holds its own. However it was poorly executed for maintenance purposes.

I used to own a 65ft Burger in steel. Very classic styling. 65 years after construction it still holds its own. However it was poorly executed for maintenance purposes.

I have wondered about that. I knew that the alloy hulls had longterm issues, but not the steel ones too. It's a shame since they are all such beautiful boats, I especially like the lounge over the engine room that most seem to have. Who was their designer?

I have wondered about that. I knew that the alloy hulls had longterm issues, but not the steel ones too. It's a shame since they are all such beautiful boats, I especially like the lounge over the engine room that most seem to have. Who was their designer?

It was a Hargrave definitely by the styling. It's a shame that today the new yachts look exactly like all the other white yachts in the world.

The problem for maintenance was all the closed-off areas which were impossible to access. Plus the older boats were not epoxy primed. The newest owner of my boat has done a fantastic job of upgrading her though for his charter business.

Damn, it’s like a fast running river. Beautiful, but extra gnarly.

Spot about 300 miles north of us called Shoalwater bay
US military loves coming over and blowing stuff up there.

https://goo.gl/maps/b17TPSgmByu

Has 30 ft tides and quick turnover of water
https://tides.willyweather.com.au/qld/fitzroy/stanage.html

Have sailed through there many times and very interesting when you get 30 knots of wind against that sort of flow.

Throw saltwater crocodiles and monster sharks into the mix and its not for the fainthearted.
But the mudcrabs, fishing and solitude is outstanding.

What is gnarly about it?

The boat in the video just cruises on through like nothing is happening. Doesn't seem the least bit bothered.

ssobol,
Boats w nearly flat bottoms and little or no keel aren’t bothered by water suddenly going sideways under the boat and in a half a second going the other way.

Boats w a significant keel have a lot of trouble keeping on course.

Sailboats frequently get spun around and spit out a way different direction.

Old deep fish boat get practically rolled over. Some probably do.

Fortunate to see 5 Great Harbor boats at the dock in New Bern today and a Krogen (Northsea?) Volunteer from TN.

We used have a US based TF member promoting NZ Artnautica boats.
This seems to be a different builder, but similar genre, long, narrow, easily driven,alloy construct.
The boat is offered by Salthouse brokers, non NZ/AU TF members may not know that members of the the Salthouse family have long operated in NZ as well recognized marine designers and builders.

Just to be clear I'm not promoting this boat nor have any interest in it. Just thought it fitted an interesting boats thread quite nicely.
However Circa are probably better known for building the Dashew FPB 64's and 83"s. Nope I didn't see a beam either but it looks narrow.

Just to be clear I'm not promoting this boat nor have any interest in it. Just thought it fitted an interesting boats thread quite nicely.
However Circa are probably better known for building the Dashew FPB 64's and 83"s. Nope I didn't see a beam either but it looks narrow.

5.4 m beam

5.4 m beam

I see that now. Pretty beamie and heavy for travel projections provided. https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boa...cc7dcd44202218

"Topsides are 8 mm. This Vessel is easily driven with an estimated range of 5,000 miles at 9 knots, 4,000 miles at 9 1/2 , 3,000 miles at 10 knots.

Gardner [150 hp] diesel powered

22m LOA and 5.4m beam, 36,500 tonnes and available as is for $695,000 plus GST of completed $1.9m plus GST plus extras."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom