Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
9'6" of draft though...

One would hope that when they did the conversion from fishboat back in '99, the added a few tons of concrete ballast. These boats were designed to carry a lot of weight at full load and still be seaworthy in some very bad seas and if correctly ballasted and loaded, so could this one. She would still have all that windage though. I wonder how she lays to anchor in a breeze?

Interesting in that it had me chortling, gagging, snickering, and shaking my head the whole video. Pretty exceptional in it's complete lack of balance in design elements, like someone cut & pasted a bunch of magazine article photos together.

Then again, someone loved it enough to make it...

Kudos to the broker, Parker, who sold her! They say there is a buyer for every boat, but this one was a real needle in a haystack and he found it.

Hi

I am the new owner of VIVANTE which is an Island Gypsy 36 Classic of Dec 1998 (not 1988). The Hull # is 36-144. I have 2 cummins BT6 of 210 HP each. I am based in Kettering in Tasmania

Welcome if you get a chance go to the Welcome mat thread and introduce yourself again great to have you here

Interesting in that it had me chortling, gagging, snickering, and shaking my head the whole video. Pretty exceptional in it's complete lack of balance in design elements, like someone cut & pasted a bunch of magazine article photos together.

Then again, someone loved it enough to make it...

Lol that reminds me of those caricatures they would draw of people in malls.:D

Me 4. :thumb:
looks like she a lot of space for just 36ft.

It is a great looking boat but something about that profile makes it look like a cartoon,
Tommy Tugboat.

Gotta love those wide angle camera lens too. Broker love to 'cheat' with those lens. They can make
3feet look like 5feet. When there are no people in the pictures, suspect a wide angle lens.

Here are the specs.

http://www.buy-a-boat.com/LegacyTrawlerMKII_1990_2.htm

Last edited:
Re the CG boat post 5 this page ...
Interesting that the aft end is concave. Most boats are convex. Her cheeks are almost pointed they are so sharp and well defined. It looks like this boat is destined for slow speeds 98% of the time. I really don’t know what to think. Hmmmm
From that angle, it reminds me of the rear of a Seabright skiff with the tunnel hull in the rear to protect the rudder and prop. It also allows for shallow draft and the rear raises when power is applied instead of squating.

In the case of the large CG vessel, the rear would have more swoop up and she may carry two engines and props. I didn't catch the specs on it.

Surprisingly, these Rescue Minors can run around 20mph in 6 inches of water because the rear lifts instead of squats. From what I've read, they are surprisingly easy to build for the handy man. I haven't had a go at one yet. May be a retirement project. Oh wait. :rolleyes:
Antiquity-07.jpg

From that angle, it reminds me of the rear of a Seabright skiff with the tunnel hull in the rear to protect the rudder and prop. It also allows for shallow draft and the rear raises when power is applied instead of squating.

In the case of the large CG vessel, the rear would have more swoop up and she may carry two engines and props. I didn't catch the specs on it.

Surprisingly, these Rescue Minors can run around 20mph in 6 inches of water because the rear lifts instead of squats. From what I've read, they are surprisingly easy to build for the handy man. I haven't had a go at one yet. May be a retirement project. Oh wait. :rolleyes:

Dave Gerr has some skinny water designs worth drooling over: Beachable Boats

The boat had 27 people on board. If all of them moved to one side of the boat to spot a whale, that in itself could capsize the boat. Add a beam wave from the opposite side of the boat and that could also make it happen.

The boat had 27 people on board. If all of them moved to one side of the boat to spot a whale, that in itself could capsize the boat. Add a beam wave from the opposite side of the boat and that could also make it happen.

At least in the article there was no mention of everyone going to one side, witness testimony would have highlighted that fact...so taking that out of the equation, in normal sea conditions, should a boat of that size flip over ? I have heard of rouge waves but it doesn’t sound like anyone mentioned an unusually high wave..seems odd .

I am genuinely curious and surprised that a boat that size can flip without severe weather, overloaded, or a rouge wave..

Dave Gerr has some skinny water designs worth drooling over: Beachable Boats
He has very classic designs. I think his lower hull form influence came from Higgins landing craft. They had a V forefoot with a tunnel hull aft and a barge on top. Very cleaver boat design.

800px-Higgins_boat_-_LCVP_%28Landing_Craft_Vehicle_Personnel%29_-_Flickr_-_Joost_J._Bakker_IJmuiden.jpg

We were out yesterday in Sarasot Harbor and took a tour through the mooring field. I’ve seen this boat from downtown but could never get close enough for a photo until yesterday. It’s a cat hull, but outside of that, duh! Cantilever davits?!

Corinthian catamarans is made down in that area. It could be one of their hulls with a homemade cabin on top

At least in the article there was no mention of everyone going to one side, witness testimony would have highlighted that fact...so taking that out of the equation, in normal sea conditions, should a boat of that size flip over ? I have heard of rouge waves but it doesn’t sound like anyone mentioned an unusually high wave..seems odd .

I am genuinely curious and surprised that a boat that size can flip without severe weather, overloaded, or a rouge wave..

Search the forum for "Leviathan" and look for posts by Tad Roberts and you'll get some well founded insight into what may have gone wrong.

Hi

I am the new owner of VIVANTE which is an Island Gypsy 36 Classic of Dec 1998 (not 1988). The Hull # is 36-144. I have 2 cummins BT6 of 210 HP each. I am based in Kettering in Tasmania
Welcome aboard Vivante. She was not on the market long.
There is another IG36 member in Tasmania. Plus 2 in Sydney,one in Brisbane. You could research the TF Manufacturers section for the Halvorsen/IG subsection, lots of info there. Feel free to share any queries, someone should be able to help(or commiserate). Your Cummins engines are not a common install but I think, a fortunate find.

Search the forum for "Leviathan" and look for posts by Tad Roberts and you'll get some well founded insight into what may have gone wrong.

Thanks, here’s what I got out of Tad and the reports...just because something floats, doesn’t mean it’s stable...what a shame...The original boat before conversion was low and lean..

Today coming into Lake Union (Seattle).

Attachments

• coolboat-5020140.jpg
    coolboat-5020140.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 140
At least that one looks right though it still has a bit more cabin up front for my liking.
Ours has a bit more cabin down aft for my liking, well she doesn't really, she just needs an extra 10 ft.

Last edited:

There go my good friends Dave & Emma on their Fishboat conversion Midnight Sun. I can't think of anything on that boat that isn't done Right.
Original build was 1938, fished until 2001, when Dave bought her. Spent about 5 years on the conversion, with obviously successful results.
She is attending the Seattle Yacht Club opening day on Saturday, so just touring till then. Then back to Vancouver for our own Royal Vancouver Yacht Club opening day the following Saturday.

There go my good friends Dave & Emma on their Fishboat conversion Midnight Sun.....
Original build was 1938, fished until 2001, when Dave bought her. Spent about 5 years on the conversion, with obviously successful results...
It looked like a fishing/trawling boat, but so good I figured it must have started life as is. A conversion after all, very attractive too.

What boat is this?

Out last week in one of the canals off Tampa Bay in St. Petersburg, spotted this vessel. At first I noticed the awnings over the portlights, thinking, "how perfect for the south Florida sun."

The tiny awnings appeared to be fiberglass, but I cannot be certain.

Then as we passed by the boat I became more intrigued with the rest of the boat. A sugar scoop stern on a trawler. Is she a motor sailor without the mast?

Anyone have any idea what brand of boat this might be?

Attachments

• 20180413_185126.jpg
    20180413_185126.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 20180413_185159.jpg
    20180413_185159.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 20180413_185209.jpg
    20180413_185209.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 93
  • 20180413_185216.jpg
    20180413_185216.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 20180413_185218.jpg
    20180413_185218.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 20180413_185222.jpg
    20180413_185222.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 20180413_185225.jpg
    20180413_185225.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 95
Out last week in one of the canals off Tampa Bay in St. Petersburg, spotted this vessel. At first I noticed the awnings over the portlights, thinking, "how perfect for the south Florida sun."

The tiny awnings appeared to be fiberglass, but I cannot be certain.

Then as we passed by the boat I became more intrigued with the rest of the boat. A sugar scoop stern on a trawler. Is she a motor sailor without the mast?

Anyone have any idea what brand of boat this might be?

Schucker I think. I don't remember them having a sugar scoop stern though.

Last edited:
Nice boat. Awnings work well for shade intended... I'm sure. May be a bit of shin knocker when walking to bow.

This is a sail boat conversation or perhaps a de-masted motor sailer. Look at photo 1 and 2. You can see the mast rigging tie-ins on the side hull.
Also explains the sugar-scoop too.

Back
Top Bottom