Lol!!

78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:24 PM   #3602
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Craig,
From a design standpoint a sheer line can be undesirable and that would be bad ... Or desirable and that would be good.
But for the most part we here on TF talk about the aesthetics of the sheer line. And it's hard to imagine a sheer line that's appealing to the eye that isn't a fair line. There are reverse curve sheers and multiple curve sheer lines but all must IMO be fair lines to be nice or even just good sheer lines aesthetically.

The type of sheer line is a matter (mostly) of taste and the blond/redhead function prevails. A good sheer line and a nice sheer line are not the same. IMO opinion of course.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:48 PM   #3603
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
A lot of guys in Alaska would love to have that houseboat(Really?). And as a houseboat it's about as likely to tip over as an aircraftcarrier(Really?). Sometimes TF kinda comes off as a Yacht Club.(Really?)

And there's the chance that he over stated his "problems" to enhance the sale appeal.

But money and health problems together are not a small thing. I have plenty of arthritis but someone in a wheel chair would be inclined to think of my problem to be small. Indeed I am thankful for the health I have .. at 76.(Really? only 76? And all this while I considered you an older senior citizen!Aaaaaaa
Al-Ketchikan-27'Marben Pocket CRUISER
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:35 PM   #3604
Guru

What can I say Al ... Really?

Old 08-03-2016, 09:39 AM   #3605
Guru

We have 10 or 12 crab boats on our float. Most are stupid looking hack jobs that one would rather not see. But this Tollycraft conversion is very cleverly executed. He moved the part of the sides and the bridge top way fwd and then put together a small trunk cabin on the foredeck. The trunk cabin is more like the usual hacked up crab boats but by painting it black it sorta disappears. Very cleverly done IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	54872  

Old 08-04-2016, 09:51 PM   #3606
Al
Guru

My kind of boat!

Found this in to days Seattle Craigslist. My kind of boat!!

Classic MacSalt Trawler Cruising Tug - 26'

Al-Ketchikan-27'Marben Pocket CRUSIER
Old 08-04-2016, 10:42 PM   #3607
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
If it was 10 feet longer it would be really neat. As is, nice boat for a single guy.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:07 PM   #3608
Al
Guru

[QUOTE=78puget-trawler;466737]If it was 10 feet longer it would be really neat. As is, nice boat for a single guy.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, As our boat is a 7 knot boat and will always be, the thought of having a schooner stern such as this rig shows, constructed and added to our trawler. Te purpose would be to offer a better following sea entry. Eliminating or reducing the tendency of a flat stern to yawl in a following sea is always a good goal.
After looking at Eric (Manyboat) rudder on a thread regarding rudders, I'd enlarge ours at the same time. Currently the boat is flowing well in a following sea over what was when the boat was ballested at a lesser amount.
Just the normal 'What if' or 'I wonder if it would be worth the investment'
At any rate, the length of our boat would be gained in such a modification.

Al-Ketchikan, 27' Marben pocket-crusier
Old 08-05-2016, 12:01 AM   #3609
Guru

Compared to the Willard 30 she's 1/3 the weight and 12" narrower. A very light boat w the same power as Willy. Looks nice though. With the hard chine and light weight would probably have a snap roll. Should have the little 3 cyl Yanmar 27hp engine. Or some other 32hp engine. The hull and hence the fwd berth is very narrow. I like it. It's a bit like a mini-Willard Voyager.

Al are you contemplating adding to the stern of your Marben?

Old 08-05-2016, 01:59 PM   #3610
Al
Guru

Quote:

Al are you contemplating adding to the stern of your Marben?

No Eric, not worth the investment. Slow SD or FD hulls sold in modern format to meet the perception of the marketing vision of "Trawler" in todays interpretation are built with square sterns. These boats as I stated, are 6.5 to 8 knot boats. They only exceed hull speed design by excessive power. You and I have agreed on that point.

Only a select population I being one, understand, enjoy and appreciate the rewards of a fantail stern that allows the following sea to flow under softly allowing the hull to meet the sea in a easy motion that allows the less rudder action to compensate for the yawing.

Having witnessing the ability of fiberglass shops to extend hulls within cost and finished product allows the thinking that was expressed were that cost within the budget.
Making such a change to our boat would surely reduce any future sales to
parties in that select population mentioned.

On the other mention in my post of your rudder in relation to such a change.
The timing would be correct to make a upsweeping rudder to match the new fantail form.
Always liked seeing the tip of the rudder under a fantail.

As we mentioned in other post, the added ballast we installed have settled our hull down in all sea conditions. Yawing in following seas have been slowed as reflected in rolling in the yaw of a following sea.
Our current rudder appears larger to those of similar rudders viewed on various hulls in our class of boat.

I suppose Eric, the comment on the extension is another version of 2 foot 'itis', a chronic illness of boat ownership.

Al-Ketchikan-27' Marben pocket-CRUISER
Old 08-05-2016, 02:29 PM   #3611
TF Site Team

City: Friday Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
We saw this one on Lopez Island this weekend. We missed the owner at their marina later unfortunately. I like the lines and she can get up and go. I estimate she's about 30' with a single engine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	54970   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	54971   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	54972   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0434.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	54974  
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:40 PM   #3612
Ted

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
From your post Al

Only a select population I being one, understand, enjoy and appreciate the rewards of a fantail tern that allows the following sea to flow under softly allowing the hull to meet the sea in a easy motion that allows the less rudder action to compensate for the yawing.

Please add me to your list

Ted
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2245.jpg
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	54975  
Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:06 PM   #3613
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
Please add me to your list

Ted
That's a fine bum you've got there, Oki.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:51 PM   #3614
Guru

Classic boats

This weekend in LaConner, is the classic car and boat show. More cars than boats but there were some really nice boats too. Love the 32 Chris Commander, stunning. Really loved the Holiday, a 1946 Monk design "troller cruiser". A Vic Franck boat, Comrade was there and a couple other CC boats and the Scamper.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3104.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	55004   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3105.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	55005   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3097.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	55006   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3100.jpg
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	55007  
Old 08-06-2016, 09:54 PM   #3615
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
We saw this one on Lopez Island this weekend. We missed the owner at their marina later unfortunately. I like the lines and she can get up and go. I estimate she's about 30' with a single engine.
Columbia River bowpicker fish boat.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:10 PM   #3616
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Love the Comrade. That was in my YC for many years, owned by judge Story Birdseye http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...9&slug=2976387

I think his son owns it now.

Keith
Old 08-06-2016, 10:26 PM   #3617
Guru

Yes, Robert was aboard today and we talked a while about the boat. Its funny because I was walking down the dock looking at the boats when I heard part of a conversation between he and a fellow on the dock, they mentioned Doc Freemans store and as some of you know Doc was my grandfather so I perked right up and barged in on the conversation. We had a nice chat about old times on the Lake Union waterfront scene, where I grew up.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:41 PM   #3618
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
No Eric, not worth the investment. Slow SD or FD hulls sold in modern format to meet the perception of the marketing vision of "Trawler" in todays interpretation are built with square sterns. These boats as I stated, are 6.5 to 8 knot boats. They only exceed hull speed design by excessive power. You and I have agreed on that point.

Only a select population I being one, understand, enjoy and appreciate the rewards of a fantail stern that allows the following sea to flow under softly allowing the hull to meet the sea in a easy motion that allows the less rudder action to compensate for the yawing.

Having witnessing the ability of fiberglass shops to extend hulls within cost and finished product allows the thinking that was expressed were that cost within the budget.
Making such a change to our boat would surely reduce any future sales to
parties in that select population mentioned.

On the other mention in my post of your rudder in relation to such a change.
The timing would be correct to make a upsweeping rudder to match the new fantail form.
Always liked seeing the tip of the rudder under a fantail.

As we mentioned in other post, the added ballast we installed have settled our hull down in all sea conditions. Yawing in following seas have been slowed as reflected in rolling in the yaw of a following sea.
Our current rudder appears larger to those of similar rudders viewed on various hulls in our class of boat.

I suppose Eric, the comment on the extension is another version of 2 foot 'itis', a chronic illness of boat ownership.

Al-Ketchikan-27' Marben pocket-CRUISER
Al, agreed re the "illness".
But a simple extension will be only part of the modification unless the extension is only 2'. One would need to extend the keel, prop shaft and rudder.

You can achieve the FD hull w a square stern by simply "warping" the bottom. As long as the transom comes up out of the water FD will be achieved. You could just ramp up the bottom aft till the transom is out of the water .... w/o any extension at all. Then you'd have an overpowered boat and need to repower down to about 35 to 40hp.

Too much work. Just go buy a FD boat. Any Albin 25's in Ketchikan now? They are quite small though. That's why we have the Willard.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:17 AM   #3619
Al
Guru

Quote:
Al, agreed re the "illness".
But a simple extension will be only part of the modification unless the extension is only 2'. One would need to extend the keel, prop shaft and rudder. {Not necessary- I have viewed several gillnet boats that have been extended six to eight feet in a 34 foot hull leaving the wheel/rudder as is. No appreciative difference or not enough to cause concern. Looks a bit weird though}

You can achieve the FD hull w a square stern by simply "warping" the bottom. As long as the transom comes up out of the water FD will be achieved. You could just ramp up the bottom aft till the transom is out of the water .... w/o any extension at all. Then you'd have an overpowered boat and need to repower down to about 35 to 40hp. {Eric, all of this paragraph is confusing, I really have no idea of what you are attempting to describe, sorry, bud, no insult intended, just confused as to what is what here}

Too much work. Just go buy a FD boat. Any Albin 25's in Ketchikan now? They are quite small though. That's why we have the Willard.

Al-Ketchikan, 27' Marben-Pocket CRUISER
Old 08-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #3620
Guru

Hi Al,
Sorry about the confusion. More simply put if you reshape the stern whereas the transom is out of the water you've got a FD boat and that can be achieved by lengthing the hull or not. And if you go from SD to FD you won't need as much power .. probably about 40% less depending on the design.

Yup you can leave the rudder and keel as is but having all that mass well aft of the rudder will make for a poor handling boat. If a quartering stern sea is pushing the stern downwind the rudder will be quite ineffective. But there is a commercially built boat that I think that was done to. The Gulfstar looks for all the world like that's what they did. Probably had a ready made mould and then decided to build a bigger boat.