Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sort of puts new meaning the answer when asked, "What do you do for a living?"

Prior to GPS positioning, the yard used a skilled surveyor to guide and position the ships on the blocks.

With such a shallow draft, gotta put the engine somewhere. If the sound isolation is good, it should not be a problem.

The pilot house reminds me of a riverboat pilot house.

I saw this boat today and I can tell you that it is easy to use the helm seat: just turn it 180 degree to the side, walk in front of it, swing it back and sit down.

Our big issue is the queen Pullman berth in the master........ The workmanship of the build is amazing and it is in like new condition. Not a stress crack anywhere on the exterior and the interior joinery is made from 100 year old cypress.

If it was not such an idiosyncratic design it would be 100/150k $ more expensive.

The windows are vinyl with double panes and the all open. It was 87 degrees outside and the interior was about 10 degrees cooler.

Last edited:
OK, I admit it. I started life as a ragman, before moving to stinkpotters. Who makes that round-sterned sailboat??

OK, I admit it. I started life as a ragman, before moving to stinkpotters. Who makes that round-sterned sailboat??

Lots of round-sterned sailboats were made.

Willard/Fales, Hans Christian, Fisher, many of the Bill Garden designs such as Truant, Saturna, Fast Passage.

I love the looks of a nicely rounded stern. :smitten:

One of my favourite trawler style boats is well rounded as well.
The Kadey Krogen 54. :smitten:

You might mean Robert Perry’s Tayana 37?

Attachments

• 67C57B71-1FA1-48C9-B497-43E8E3C59793.jpeg
    67C57B71-1FA1-48C9-B497-43E8E3C59793.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 149
  • D790A8C7-661F-40D3-A09D-8422DBF3BF3E.jpeg
    D790A8C7-661F-40D3-A09D-8422DBF3BF3E.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Last edited:
Originally Posted by BruceK
Here`s an interesting Queensland boat, a motor/sailer/cruiser in the traditional Qld long range cruiser style,with Gardner diesel:
https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats...cruiser/213953

Northern Trek.
See them regularly out here, nice boat.

Add: Gebus, that galleys a bit of a shock to the eyes in comparison to the rest of the boat :eek:

How well do they sail?

Originally Posted by BruceK
Here`s an interesting Queensland boat, a motor/sailer/cruiser in the traditional Qld long range cruiser style,with Gardner diesel:
https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats...cruiser/213953

How well do they sail?

Not sure how to sail, but I think two reasons. Reduces substantially fuel consumption and rolling. Nowadays sail is installed on ships and fuel consumption decreases significantly about 30%. Link this facta https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18292644

NBs

Last edited:
Fellas... awful lot of mast and sail for "steading" only. Seems a whole bunch of cost and effort-in-usage to simply "steady" up a boat. Would think with that many masts, booms, sails and sq. ft. of sail they should accomplish more than simply "steading" and maybe just a tiny bit of fuel reduction.

There are several other manner of "steading" a boat that encumber way less hassle of use and don't make the boat so tall it's often restricted in passage. Some are way less expensive to have and maintain too!

Just sayen...

I saw this boat today and I can tell you that it is easy to use the helm seat: just turn it 180 degree to the side, walk in front of it, swing it back and sit down.

Our big issue is the queen Pullman berth in the master........ The workmanship of the build is amazing and it is in like new condition. Not a stress crack anywhere on the exterior and the interior joinery is made from 100 year old cypress.

If it was not such an idiosyncratic design it would be 100/150k $ more expensive.

The windows are vinyl with double panes and the all open. It was 87 degrees outside and the interior was about 10 degrees cooler.

Making an offer or passing?

I think those AU motorsailers are so damn cool. Love the ketch rigs. And they are big, roomy boats, unlike my smallish motorsailor.

What will one of those big AU motorsailors do just under wind power I wonder? Took mine out the other day and in 10-11 knots of wind I got 3-3.5k SOG on a reach.

Fellas... awful lot of mast and sail for "steadying" only. ...
Agreed:thumb:, I think it`s more in the motor sailer category. Suppose you`d have to try it to be sure.

That well cared for Bertram is a fine example hot-assed yesteryear boat building. Nice boat!

That well cared for Bertram is a fine example hot-assed yesteryear boat building. Nice boat!

One caution; I look better in pictures than I do in real life.

Back
Top Bottom