Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Being new to this I have a couple of questions on this steel boat, I know it’s been around for awhile and I even emailed the broker...It’s really a nice looking boat and has a lot going for it IMO..I would seriously consider it for myself, the thing that confuses me is the view from the pilot house. Of coarse I noticed the giant boom dead center of the pilot house..The wheel and controls are also dead center...Visiblity could have been improved simply by posistioning the wheel far right or left..So question one is ..was this incompetent design, or is sight line not that important in these types of boats..The pilot house sits so far back I looks like it would be difficult to see that far out anyway.

Secondly, could that boom be relocated or removed opening up the view out that center window..Thanks.

That boat is driven 99.9% of the time from the flybridge. There's not even a chair at the lower helm station. The small boat storage on the main deck also blocks the view forward.

That boat is driven 99.9% of the time from the flybridge. There's not even a chair at the lower helm station. The small boat storage on the main deck also blocks the view forward.

We really enjoy 99.9% piloting from the bridge. No seat at lower helm; gives more floor space in salon of our 34'er.

Although looking a bit messy at times - LOL We do keep lower helm well functional with keys in ignition just incase that is required. No visual obstruction on deck... incase need-be weather conditions arrive.

That has happened a couple times, nice to get/stay dry during heavy rains and really nice [smart] to be in lower cog area during rough seas! :dance:

I believe in redundancy of some items on boat - pilot stations are in that category. :thumb:

Attachments

• Salon Pilot Station.jpg
    Salon Pilot Station.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
I looked and like what I saw .. very interesting.
Clinker built. Must be fastened w rivets or similar. If it was welded it would not be a clinker IMO ... what think?
The boat looks great. I’m not keen on sailboats at all but this hull would make an excellent trawler .. and of course an even better motor sailer. I see it better with a small rig and more of a bridge for a wheelhouse.

Really nice to see boats like this in Finland. One of the reasons I’m on Trawler Forum (and FB ect) is to geta look at the rest of the world. Are you on FB?

They're welded. The steel strips overlap like the boards in clinker-built boats. There is an uninterrupted weld joint (what's the technical term?) on the outside along the strips and spot welding on/from the inside. The steel strips are 4 mm thick and they used different amount of overlap on different parts of the hull.
If that makes a - per definition - pure clinker-construction or not, is something I'll leave out :)

The boats was delivered in many versions - mainly because the shipyard offered to sell them also as cheaper half finished versions that the buyer would finish according to his (or her) wishes or requirements. Therefore many of them are rather individual in terms of appearance, engine, layout and such.

Some owners chose to turn them into motor sailers. Some of those also got an extra keel welded on - probably depending on the rig.

Safety (typical Swedish obsession - however a good obsession) was high in priority. So they focused on fire safety, seaworthiness and sturdiness against impacts.
They're rather heavy. I've seen figures between 7 and 12 metric tons depending on equipment.

Last edited:
Pretty little thing.

Attachments

• manito-8290545.jpg
    manito-8290545.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 118
Dan you can look at the engine room.
I’d like to see her hull.
I

Greetings,
Mr. D. Dirty and big bucks indeed. I don't think I've EVER seen such a "nasty" listing. Looks like she would be a MAJOR project starting with the electrical. I might be tempted for $30K but $160K has got to be a joke unless there is a fishing license with the sale. $160K???? REALLY????

Is pot legal in Alaska?

200.gif

Last edited:
A tad dingy alright, but did you see that monster chain on the anchor drum winch!??!

Greetings,
Mr. MM. Monster chains do not make a boat worth $160K. I've seen pictures of similarly sized drum winches on comparable vessels. Looks to me that vessel has been totally neglected since 1983. $160K REALLY????

Greetings,
Mr. NW. You raise an interesting and valid point. I was looking at it from a recreational conversion angle. Could be that this is the condition of the majority of Alaskan commercial fishing vessels. WITH the proper gear and permits it may well be priced in the correct range but, good grief, clean her up.

May the (Sea) Force be with you!

Anyone interested in finishing off a partially completed 45' aluminum boat? Love the looks of it and it just comes off as tough. The current guide price is a little stiff but guessing it would go for under $100K. The only competition might be the USCG or maybe they are the ones that cancelled the order. Sounds like there are 6 of them.

2012 Sea Force IX Crew/Supply Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Attachments

• Alum.jpg
    Alum.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 100
Another interesting boat.

Fortunately it is at the bottom of the ocean right now, put of out it’s misery.

So....because I think the neighbor’s house was ugly and they didn’t keep the yard as nice as mine, I’m happy they lost it in the fire / flood / whatever?

Nice.

Anyone interested in finishing off a partially completed 45' aluminum boat? Love the looks of it and it just comes off as tough. The current guide price is a little stiff but guessing it would go for under $100K. The only competition might be the USCG or maybe they are the ones that cancelled the order. Sounds like there are 6 of them.

2012 Sea Force IX Crew/Supply Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Is it just me or do those props not have a rather extreme angle?

Last edited:
If these photos are current then that might be a very good traveling boat for a budget conscious cruiser.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom