Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is that? Home built cabin on a pro built hull? I don't know why but I kind of like it.

attachment.php

This could be Leland, MI. Concur with Great Lakes fishing vessel.

See’in is beliv’in they say and of course that may or may not be legitimate. As viewed from the side there’s not much boat below the WL. If the boat was heavy the weight would push the boat down. But having a flat bottom means there’s more support per inch (or whatever) so that could explain it to some degree. Perhaps your weight numbers wern’t achieved in the same way. Apples and prunes so to speak. And I pay little or no attention to Nordhavn’s so I can’t argue w you there.

IMO theres something wrong w that big red boat. Just my opinion. Still.

But if you want to hang your hat on it .........

Bear with me here:

The weight of a boat corresponds with the amount of water it displaces. Archimedes Law. So there are four variables used to calculate the weight of the boat (displacement), length, breadth, draft and Cb (block coefficient).
So it looks kinda like this: Displacement in tons = LxBxdxCb/35

If you have two similar boats with the same displacement, length and Cb, but one has a wider beam, that vessel will have a lesser draft than the narrower beam vessel.
So a wider boat can have as much or more weight than similar boat and have a lesser draft.
Also, less draft might not reduce its stability because beam is one of the largest influences an static stability. But that’s another equation that we don’t have to get into at this point.

Sans mechanical or other types of specific stabilization outfits...

Low cog, fair bottom draft, wide beam and low air draft are best determining factors for roll-return stability. Flatter bottom, hard chine and heavy keel are best for durational roll reductions; i.e., "snap backs" - as long as items in first sentence are in correct proportions.

1999 Monticello '60

I found this interesting looking. A bit bigger then anything I had looked for, but that extra space does lend itself to a comfy looking living space.

Is a riverboat, so wonder how it would handle the ICW or coastal areas. I'd like to hear thoughts on useability from the forum, since I don't have the experience to make very good assumptions :).

https://www.popyachts.com/house-boats-for-sale/monticello-60-in-pittsburgh-pennsylvania-136577

4346597L.jpg

19'3'' bridge clearance w/38" draft appealing for those of us with those type constraints, plus that low bridge in Chicago

This is only listed in popyachts, so you may have to login to view and open yourself up to broker emails- so sorry about that

McGillicudy,
Re your 92.
No argument there.
But it’s initial stability.
Stability in calm water is primarily a function of beam.
But I’ve ridden aboard a big and very boxy ferry boat in Alaska in very rough weather and was amazed at how well she did.
And in boats like this “size matters” really seems to control the picture.
I don’t think there are ANY salmon trollers 20 mi offshore w flat bottoms. But there are barges. Lots of them.

I found this interesting looking. A bit bigger then anything I had looked for, but that extra space does lend itself to a comfy looking living space.

Is a riverboat, so wonder how it would handle the ICW or coastal areas. I'd like to hear thoughts on useability from the forum, since I don't have the experience to make very good assumptions :).

https://www.popyachts.com/house-boats-for-sale/monticello-60-in-pittsburgh-pennsylvania-136577

4346597L.jpg

19'3'' bridge clearance w/38" draft appealing for those of us with those type constraints, plus that low bridge in Chicago

This is only listed in popyachts, so you may have to login to view and open yourself up to broker emails- so sorry about that

Don't take her into rough seas! Calm waters are OK.

Is this right? Has the rear upper section been added on? I read the add and looked over the details. This boat could easily eat up $50,000 to $60,000 just to get the drive lines overhauled and new electronics installed.

https://charleston.craigslist.org/boa/d/1986-gulfstar-44-motor-yacht/6445221385.html

00e0e_ewVCi72C8HD_600x450.jpg

just looking at the pictures would be enough to me to take a pass. Easy enough to dump the upside-down stool on the floor out of sight long enough to take a picture. I'm not a super pristine neat freak but when you are selling something you want to at least make an effort to neaten things up. It would justify the price asking for.

Don't take her into rough seas! Calm waters are OK.

Yeah, the bow looks kind of diminutive, as well as the back end. Makes me wonder what the rough seas limit for this vessel would be.

I posted this because it showed up even though it is bigger than the search terms i had set. I clicked on it because I like the lines and saw the interior is positively spacious- that's when I looked up and saw that it is 15 ft larger then what I put in the settings. Still, It looks nice, but I think the 60ft length and 16ft width would limit marina space availability. Would proabably end up using the dinghy quite a bit.

just looking at the pictures would be enough to me to take a pass. Easy enough to dump the upside-down stool on the floor out of sight long enough to take a picture. I'm not a super pristine neat freak but when you are selling something you want to at least make an effort to neaten things up. It would justify the price asking for.
Is it used toilet paper on the right of the head sink? Lol

L

He told his wife he was trying to sell it???

This could be Leland, MI. Concur with Great Lakes fishing vessel.

These boats were very common on the Great Lakes and the fishing industry was strong until the lamprey eels invaded the GL.

Murray, You have a knack in finding boats that just twist my desire.:flowers: This one fits like a glove.:thumb: Thanks for posting. AmJ

Hi Al,

Just imagine letting it dry on those "twin keels" on the low high tide in some protected bay, going for a hike, then coming back to be picked up by the high high tide later in the day. Sweet :D

Last edited:
McGillicudy,
Re your 92.
No argument there.
But it’s initial stability.
Stability in calm water is primarily a function of beam.
But I’ve ridden aboard a big and very boxy ferry boat in Alaska in very rough weather and was amazed at how well she did.
And in boats like this “size matters” really seems to control the picture.
I don’t think there are ANY salmon trollers 20 mi offshore w flat bottoms. But there are barges. Lots of them.

Yes.
Stability in calm water is a function of beam AND depth of hull Specifically freeboard. Big and boxy can be a very good thing. Wide with lots of freeboard.
But everything is a compromise. And as you note, this is initial stability only. From the initial stability it is necessary to calculate stability at various angles of heel. With an inclining experiment it is possible to calculate the change in the position of the center of gravity (g) at a small angle of heel (gZ). That position is projected vertically to where it intercepts the centerline projection on which upright g resides. This position is the meta centric height (m). The distance from g to m, (gm) if positive, will determine the dynamic stability. The larger the gm, the greater the stability. However, there are trade offs. A large gm creates huge righting moments which translates to very fast roll periods and the vessel is considered ‘stiff’. A small gm translates to much smaller roll periods but may allow the vessel to roll to angles from which it won’t recover (angle of loll). If the deck edge goes below water during a roll, the stability capability disappears rapidly and a very dangerous situation arises. The displacement of the vessel also has a role to play in yet another formula that multiples the gZ by displacement to determine the size of the theoretical lever that uprights the vessel.

So barges usually have huge gm and large righting moment, not comfortable for people but very stable. Cargo has to be secured very well due to possible violent righting ability.

The boxy ferry likely was designed to provide an operating gm greater than 18” but less than 36” which has been found to result in a pretty comfortable ride.

Sorry to go into the technicality of stability but thought it might be interesting to a very small sub group of the forum. [emoji851]

Thanks McGillicuddy,
That put a lot of focus on the stability I belive we’re talking about.
A lot of SD trawlers have quite flat bottoms (especially aft) and probably the stiff rides that (w ample beam) come to pass.
Every boat hull is ladened or blessed with lots and lots of variables in shape and mass. Then add the owners and the water they operate in and it’s obvious the issue is complicated.
Thanks for your input.

NW, haha , yes you are right, there are thousands of variables including types of operation. And the very brief primer I explained was displacement hull only. Once you get into planing hulls, semi planing, multi hulls, advanced hull forms, etc, etc, then the math gets pretty exotic. I can’t believe that a high school c level math student like me was able to learn and even enjoy the math required for naval arch. Then only used a very small portion of it in my career. [emoji57]

Murray, You have a knack in finding boats that just twist my desire.:flowers: This one fits like a glove.:thumb: Thanks for posting. AmJ

No kidding, that's a beauty. Convert about 800 gallons of the water tanks to fuel, add a water maker and you'd have a 3000 mm range. You can get parts for the Lehmans anywhere. Wouldn't have to go home for a long time.

Just saw same model down in Antigua as a support vessel for the yacht “Ace”. It was loaded with toys and it’s name was “Garçon for Ace”.

USN Stennis in Rich Passage (just S of Bainbridge Island).

Attachments

• stennis-1167569.jpg
    stennis-1167569.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 99
  • stennis-1167571.jpg
    stennis-1167571.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 112
USN Stennis in Rich Passage (just S of Bainbridge Island).

Meeting the Bremerton ferry around that curve only a little unsettling, but 91,000 tons of haze-gray steel would be another thing.

Back
Top Bottom