Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Attachments

• uss-zumwalt-ddg1000.jpg
    uss-zumwalt-ddg1000.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 89
Same company, Baltic Workboats...

Attachments

• BD6764A1-AF04-483B-BB5A-CB6422DE21D5.jpg
    BD6764A1-AF04-483B-BB5A-CB6422DE21D5.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 91
QUOTE=bogranjac1;619915]very sleek[/QUOTE]

Sleek my arse.
Look at the hullsides. Not even fair. Looks a bit like a homebuilt metal boat.

However the bow is sleek and in a way the house is too. Don’t see any external junk like hand rails, life boats, masts, ect ect. I suspect the house would reflect radar energy even better w a rounded house front. Would look better and more sleek.

LOL and your excuse to the USCG for piloting the boat at 21 knots on the ICW is....?
Seldom if ever do we drive our car at its maximum speed sooo, why a boat?
There must be a reasonable "sweet spot" for that boat.

On full plane... 16 to 17 knots works well and = 1 nmpg.

Sweet spot for economy while still making decent time is 6.5 to 7 knots which = 2 +/- nmpg. 7.58 knots is calced hull speed.

For real economy... 4.5 to 5 knots running just one engine = 2.75 nmpg. Note that is great speed for ICW locals.

Then again - sometimes it may become needed to go WOT fast. On a 2009 day pictured, due to circumstances that suddenly occurred while coming in toward the GG bridge, I felt need to push Tolly onto WOT [about 23 knots] for a few minutes to get out of the "pleasure boat" fray; while "The Maltese Falcon" headed toward SF Bay. And, no... when photo was taken we were not at WOT.... but, I was then surveying the confuctuation developing amid too many stupid boat captains... that soon thereafter did make me decide to hit WOT for quickly getting way away.

Attachments

• Copy of Art & Linda on TO - Maltese Falcon SF Bay Entry Spring 2009_100_1391.JPG
    Copy of Art & Linda on TO - Maltese Falcon SF Bay Entry Spring 2009_100_1391.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
On full plane... 16 to 17 knots works well and = 1 nmpg.

Sweat spot for economy while still making decent time is 6.5 to 7 knots which = 2 +/- nmpg. 7.58 knots is calced hull speed.

For real economy... 4.5 to 5 knots running just one engine = 2.75 nmpg. Note that is great speed for ICW locals.

Then again - sometimes it may become needed to go WOT fast. On a 2009 day pictured, due to circumstances that suddenly occurred while coming in toward the GG bridge, I felt need to push Tolly onto WOT [about 23 knots] for a few minutes to get out of the "pleasure boat" fray; while "The Maltese Falcon" headed toward SF Bay. And, no... when photo was taken we were not at WOT.... but, I was then surveying the confuctuation developing amid too many stupid boat captains... that soon thereafter did make me decide to hit WOT for quickly getting way away.

LOL You'd love the Miami cut. NOT.
I guess that is one of the reasons I now have a fast trawler instead of another trawler.

QUOTE=bogranjac1;619915]very sleek

Sleek my arse.

However the bow is sleek and in a way the house is too. Don’t see any external junk like hand rails, life boats, masts, ect ect. I suspect the house would reflect radar energy even better w a rounded house front. Would look better and more sleek.[/QUOTE]

its called stealth technology..

Its NOT supposed to reflect radar..
:facepalm:

HOLLYWOOD

Sleek my arse.

However the bow is sleek and in a way the house is too. Don’t see any external junk like hand rails, life boats, masts, ect ect. I suspect the house would reflect radar energy even better w a rounded house front. Would look better and more sleek.

HOLLYWOOD[/QUOTE]

Yea, says right on the label, "Stealth Technology. Does not reflect RADAR"
They and other "stealth" planes and boats will reflect RADAR but the 'picture' is supposed to be much smaller than in real life.

I proposed an X-Bow project for my Krogen Manatee, but then I saw how the change would have ruined the refined sleek and graceful lines of the boat.:hide:

Does look a bit PhotoShopped. Nice try. WINK

NBS, it's funny but I guess I never thought of your country, or many others, having a navy. That ship is pretty amazing and it would be fun to be on board for a short cruise.

I found another video of the ship that was interesting. Take a look at this, and especially the bow treatment that you will get a decent look at around 3:00 into the video. I don't think I've ever seen a bow setup such as that ship has.

HOLLYWOOD

Yea, says right on the label, "Stealth Technology. Does not reflect RADAR"
They and other "stealth" planes and boats will reflect RADAR but the 'picture' is supposed to be much smaller than in real life.

OldDan and Hollywood, that's not exactly correct. This past summer I had an opportunity to do a very close-up walk around and examination of the USAF's newest stealth fighter, the F-22 Raptor.

The skin of the aircraft, unlike other aircraft and stealth aircraft is made from a different material that actually absorbs the radar power rather than simply reflect it. The plane is totally invisible to radar and, if they want it to be seen by radar, they have to attach a piece of equipment to the bottom of the plane that will reflect the radar energy.

DSCN3383.jpg

DSCN3384.jpg

DSCN3404.jpg

Those are my grandsons in the photo above. When we got the tour of the plane the pilot asked me not to touch the skin of the plane and also not to take any close up photos of the skin. Once I got up next to it (within arm's length) I could see the structure of the skin and could see why he didn't want me to touch it or photograph it.

and submarines currently have a skin to absorb SONAR but, sometimes a portion becomes dislodged allowing for some SONAR reflection.

Looks like they have been around for a while, for some purpose or another.

Attachments

• trireme.jpg
    trireme.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 425
OldDan and Hollywood, that's not exactly correct. This past summer I had an opportunity to do a very close-up walk around and examination of the USAF's newest stealth fighter, the F-22 Raptor.

The skin of the aircraft, unlike other aircraft and stealth aircraft is made from a different material that actually absorbs the radar power rather than simply reflect it. The plane is totally invisible to radar and, if they want it to be seen by radar, they have to attach a piece of equipment to the bottom of the plane that will reflect the radar energy.

DSCN3383.jpg

DSCN3384.jpg

DSCN3404.jpg

Those are my grandsons in the photo above. When we got the tour of the plane the pilot asked me not to touch the skin of the plane and also not to take any close up photos of the skin. Once I got up next to it (within arm's length) I could see the structure of the skin and could see why he didn't want me to touch it or photograph it.

GFC,
I was over simplifying the stealth comment for you guys, I worked on projects in the aviation industry that were related to new stealth in the late 80's so I didn't go into a long winded explanation of the tech because it just didn't matter. Just was pointing out that the Z was shaped that was because of stealth. That ship isn't "invisible" to radar but it returns a much smaller target.. the Raptor is very stealth .. right up to the point it opens it's bay doors.
Stealth never makes for a " good looking" design due to the angular design.
Hollywood

Sleek my arse.

Old Dan and Hollywood,

HOLLYWOOD[/QUOTE]

I’m well aware of that as I stated or implied. And (also as I said) rounding the house fwd should not interfere w the radar return or even make it less. I suspect the sharp breaks were done for economy of the build. And highly justifiable in view of our extremely expensive military spending.

Last edited:
Last edited:

HOLLYWOOD

I’m well aware of that as I stated or implied. And (also as I said) rounding the house fwd should not interfere w the radar return or even make it less. I suspect the sharp breaks were done for economy of the build. And highly justifiable in view of our extremely expensive military spending.[/QUOTE]

The "square corners" have absolutely nothing with economy,
It is the angles that help create stealth.
The angles make it less economical to build due to stress at the intersections, necessitating more costs in structural design and in carbon varying layouts of fabric and cord.
A round house would return a bigger radar signature.

Our military spends a LOT of money to attempt to kill only the bad guys, not our troops or innocents on the ground.

No matter what arena, it always costs a lot to be #1.

Merry Christmas to all,
HOLLYWOOD

Yes ..... the angles UP. You see all the surfaces project the return up at about 30 degrees where there is nothing or nobody to receive the return. By rounded I mean like the front of an old fishboat or tug. The radar energy will still be reflected up the same amount. No change in reflection.

And making a car body w very squarish lines would be much less time consuming than to make it in the forum of a E type Jaguar.

Last edited:
Even I like it.
And I’ve always thought twins were better.

But if Mark was to win this boat in a lottery I’m sure he’d get over the single screw bias.

Seems very very cheap ????
I thought so too (Aussie pricing), it would need a detailed "gaston" checkover:). Only 1300 hours on the John Deeres too. But there is a 2005 Clipper 50 twin Cummins @ 449K, so maybe not a red flag.

I thought so too (Aussie pricing), it would need a detailed "gaston" checkover:). Only 1300 hours on the John Deeres too. But there is a 2005 Clipper 50 twin Cummins @ 449K, so maybe not a red flag.

Wish you would STOP posting this rubbish and let me get along with life :D

Back
Top Bottom