Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
this boat has a different bow from others

Hi, yes X-bow is very smoty hig seas, look video

What if you continue to work on your boat and build an x-bow:D, I think you had a good project just installing Hull wings to reduce the role:thumb:. My NT missed an X-bow it's such a wet ride to the waves:nonono:

NBs

Xbow seems to perform well in 20'/25' waves. :thumb:

Wonder what happens in 50'/60'ers?

Also wonder what effect Xbow design has for fuel economy or increase, with or without rough seas??

And the [boat design] beat goes on! :speed boat:

What is an X bow?
Are you thinking about an Axe bow?
I think not as I don’t see an Axe bow.

Reminds me of the sub from the movie "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen".

384f6ecc161f6a009b5cd699b25ef42a.jpg

Xbow seems to perform well in 20'/25' waves. :thumb:

Wonder what happens in 50'/60'ers?

Also wonder what effect Xbow design has for fuel economy or increase, with or without rough seas??

And the [boat design] beat goes on! :speed boat:

Hi:)

In rough ocean fuel consumption will certainly be a big difference between the x-bow advantage. The smooth sea just the X-bow does not make a difference. Believe me the x-bow makes longer LWL and replaces the bulbi consumption by the difference and rarely the big sea is smooth. This invention was first launched in 2005 and is the company ULSTEIN X-BOW®:socool:

I think it's fine to do even in the bigger wave, think about the shape of the bow and its bow displacemets that gives it a huge boost up(Buoyancy-the archimede's law) can slightly spray it on the windows

iu

NBs

Last edited:
I'd add an "Xbow" appendage onto our 34' Tolly... But I'd keep bumping into things at dock area! LOL

Great place to store contraband!! :thumb:

Am I the only one who thinks the X-Bow is just plain ugly?

I've heard all about the benefits, and they've been proven in all kinds of offshore support vessels, so I know I can't win that debate. Still...yuck!

I'd add an "Xbow" appendage onto our 34' Tolly... But I'd keep bumping into things at dock area! LOL

Great place to store contraband!! :thumb:

Ah yes, and that is the first place the USCG search first.
Then they put divers in the water to inspect the hull for "attachments"

Strange they call this an X bow.
All it is is a typical bow w the stem raked aft like a canoe.
The Axe bow (I have no pic) has a plumb or vertical stem and the bottom of the stem is usually the deepest part of the hull. Extremely deep V fwd, quite flat aft.

Capt. Tom,
You just don’t like unusual things. I’d label it “odd” looking. Not particularly ugly. But I don’t think it’s appearance is important.
It makes the bow lighter and that would lift the bow up when plunging at/into a big sea. Makes more sense to me than the bulbous bow. And Capt Tom the X is better looking than the bulb.

Last edited:
They are ugly bows but certainly very effective. My boat is ugly too, to some, but beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

Also, that original boat is beautiful but it should have been a single with roll chocks. IMHO.

Last edited:
They say in post #70 that the X bow vessels are less subject to vertical motions fwd. that’s an assumable takeaway, however I’ll bet the deceleration forces are ferece on an X bow in the nasty but probably even worse on a full sized bulbous bow especially w a lot of flare.
I also suspect speed will be better on the X that the bulb. Even w the same OOL the X boats wave will be longer because there’s a fuller bow pushing the water out.

I’m getting to like this X bow but ... why not just extend the deck out and make the boat w a vertical stem?

Last edited:
Capt. Tom,
You just don’t like unusual things. I’d label it “odd” looking. Not particularly ugly. But I don’t think it’s appearance is important.
It makes the bow lighter and that would lift the bow up when plunging at/into a big sea. Makes more sense to me than the bulbous bow. And Capt Tom the X is better looking than the bulb.

OK, "odd" it is then.

I'm no engineer (I don't even own a striped hat) but I thought the theory was that there was LESS buoyancy forward, due to the lack of flare. In a traditional bow, the buoyancy increases as it plows into a wave, while I'd assume it decreases on the X-Bow. Presumably there's also more resistance to forward motion through waves with a traditional bow. I hadn't considered weight as a huge factor. But hey, what do I know?

I proposed an X-Bow project for my Krogen Manatee, but then I saw how the change would have ruined the refined sleek and graceful lines of the boat.:hide:

Attachments

• Xbow bucky.jpg
    Xbow bucky.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 77
I proposed an X-Bow project for my Krogen Manatee, but then I saw how the change would have ruined the refined sleek and graceful lines of the boat.:hide:

SMILE
What you do to your boat has no effect on me. It might have an effect on the resale value.
I am sure, some of the mods I have made on my boat might not meet with everyones' approval. My defense is, "It's my boat"

I have always thought that the one good thing about a KK Manatee is that no matter what you do to it you can never negatively impact the looks of it. I suppose you have to own one to truly appreciate them.

Like your forward-leaning pilothouse windows, but ... manatees are as attractive as your boat. :flowers:

That upper level, does it contain an extra stateroom or a pool table?

OK, "odd" it is then.

I'm no engineer (I don't even own a striped hat) but I thought the theory was that there was LESS buoyancy forward, due to the lack of flare. In a traditional bow, the buoyancy increases as it plows into a wave, while I'd assume it decreases on the X-Bow. Presumably there's also more resistance to forward motion through waves with a traditional bow. I hadn't considered weight as a huge factor. But hey, what do I know?

CapTom,
I was thinking about the bouyancy in the vicinity of the WL. That part gets burried deep in the oncomming wave and should pop the bow right up smartly. The usual flared bow oonly starts lifting big time when the water is already halfway up the topsides.
Now what Im actually talk’in bout is the fullness of the bow and the part that gets stuck in the next wave. With the X bow it should pop up smartly as the full part of the bow gets stuck in first.
But sometimes what seems obvious isn’t.

The small circuit spins ... at the same time as the ships abandon the bulb so fast the boat gets a bulb that breaks down the waves. It looks good to work well ...
(this is not the same model as a damage boat a few weeks ago)

NBs

Last edited:
The small circuit spins ... at the same time as the ships abandon the bulb so fast the boat gets a bulb that breaks down the waves. It looks good to work well ...
(this is not the same model as a damage boat a few weeks ago)

NBs

Someone strap down the coffee pot.
I want one. Of course I will need a number of changes to make it livable.
I even like the color.

I like it! Fast, rough & ready, with greatly smoothed actions during wave entry and exit in its bow design!

Interestingly, I noticed... at 21 knots that boat uses somewhere near same volume of fuel as [what we believe (roughly calculate)] our Tolly twin gasser uses [don't keep the Tolly at that near WOT long enough to get fully accurate accounting of fuel use therefrom]... I.e. stats on video display 113 l/h at 21 kn [which is pretty near the same as our Tolly's projected 35 to 40 gals per hr. at 21 knots]. For us... That rate of fuel use [getting +/- .5 miles per gallon] becomes unpleasantly expensive... but fun to travel at! :eek:

:dance: :speed boat:

I like it! Fast, rough & ready, with greatly smoothed actions during wave entry and exit in its bow design!

Interestingly, I noticed... at 21 knots that boat uses somewhere near same volume of fuel as [what we believe (roughly calculate)] our Tolly twin gasser uses [don't keep the Tolly at that near WOT long enough to get fully accurate accounting of fuel use therefrom]... I.e. stats on video display 113 l/h at 21 kn [which is pretty near the same as our Tolly's projected 35 to 40 gals per hr. at 21 knots]. For us... That rate of fuel use [getting +/- .5 miles per gallon] becomes unpleasantly expensive... but fun to travel at! :eek:

:dance: :speed boat:

LOL and your excuse to the USCG for piloting the boat at 21 knots on the ICW is....?
Seldom if ever do we drive our car at its maximum speed sooo, why a boat?
There must be a reasonable "sweet spot" for that boat.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom