Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's a rare opportunity. At 108 feet, not for just anyone, but the price is appealing. This seems to be one of the two work vessels at the Torpedo Station in Keyport, WA. I admire them every time I pass.

Attachments

• YP701.jpg
    YP701.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 498
Saw this recently at Tarpon Point marina in FL.

Same thing in False Creek, Vancouver BC; powered by Torquedo--probably can't do too much damage:

Attachments

• P1000093.jpg
    P1000093.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 100
What a desirable boat. The Dutch sure can build a great looking steel hull.
There is an impressive maritime museum in Rotterdam featuring beautiful old classic boats. Steel seems to be a popular building material.

Greetings,
Mr. WH. Re: post #4608..."Migrant is on our shortlist for our buying trip this spring."

You're my NEW best friend!

200.gif

Migrant is on our shortlist for our buying trip this spring, but I am concerned about parts cost and availability for the Gardener engine. And who would work on it if it needed repairs beyond R&R of external components?

Surprised that one of our fine Canadian members has not jumped in to respond to the question of the Gardener. This is a popular engine in the B.C.Canada area as Vancouver I believe, has a excellent rapport in the terms of shops, rebuild sites, parts, along with valid reputations for all aspects. Please advise to the contrary if these statements are off.
There are cases here in Southeast Alaska where commercial trollers have converted perfectly good Cats, Jimmies, and such for a rebuilt Gardener. The fuel burn alone is worth a peek. They are indestructable a 'Tank' engine reputation that runs for ever with little anticipated maintenance woes.

Did I mention I am a fan of the Gardener engines?

Regards,
Al-Ketchikan

Surprised that one of our fine Canadian members has not jumped in to respond to the question of the Gardener. This is a popular engine in the B.C.Canada area as Vancouver I believe, has a excellent rapport in the terms of shops, rebuild sites, parts, along with valid reputations for all aspects. Please advise to the contrary if these statements are off.
There are cases here in Southeast Alaska where commercial trollers have converted perfectly good Cats, Jimmies, and such for a rebuilt Gardener. The fuel burn alone is worth a peek. They are indestructable a 'Tank' engine reputation that runs for ever with little anticipated maintenance woes.

Did I mention I am a fan of the Gardener engines?

Regards,
Al-Ketchikan
They leak. Too many seals and they are a "hands on" engine complete with individual bits and pieces and levers. Far to fidgety for modern boaters. Don't you want to just turn a key and have your motor start without having the parts all visible. Isn't that why car engines now are covered in pretty plastic so you can't even see them. Gardner won't fit in many engine rooms because they are about 4 feet tall and very heavy.

On a personal note. I love them. Never owned one but one of the fishboats I worked on had one. 900 rpm cruise or something like that IIRC. Seems to me l started her by hand once just to see if it could be done but that was a long time ago and my memory might be off. They company still fully supports them and has all parts in stock.

I can't imagine that they are leakier than a DD: they look to be be of a similar era.

It's good to hear that parts are available in NA, too

Greetings,
Mr. WH. Re: post #4608..."Migrant is on our shortlist for our buying trip this spring."

You're my NEW best friend!

200.gif

We are loading up the fifth wheel and heading to the gulf coast come springtime and hope to follow the coast up to the Chesepeake seeing what's available. We have bare boated the PNW for a few years and have a hankering for something different in our retirement, so we are looking on the East coast.

I can't imagine that they are leakier than a DD: they look to be be of a similar era.

It's good to hear that parts are available in NA, too

Engines of that era are self-oiling to prevent rust and corrosion. :lol:

Surprised that one of our fine Canadian members has not jumped in to respond to the question of the Gardener. This is a popular engine in the B.C.Canada area as Vancouver I believe, has a excellent rapport in the terms of shops, rebuild sites, parts, along with valid reputations for all aspects. Please advise to the contrary if these statements are off...

Don't know how often this website is freshened up, but there might be Gardner gold in Soiuntula, off Vancouver Islands north east coast;

Gardner - Sointula Power Products Ltd.

Arcadia..

Attachments

• IMG_0504.JPG
    IMG_0504.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0503.jpg
    IMG_0503.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 115
Definitely not an assembly line boat!

Lol. No. She's not too shiny, and she has a big green butt. Strange with no railings on the stern.

Last edited:
The interior is actually really nice looking. Maybe it's the gigantic blue canvas oxygen tent that's throwing me.

The interior is actually really nice looking. Maybe it's the gigantic blue canvas oxygen tent that's throwing me.
Ya know, if I was a single young guy living in San Diego, I could see me on this.

And yes, I know, Manatees have often been the butt of my jokes on this site.

Ya know, if I was a single young guy living in San Diego, I could see me on this.

And yes, I know, Manatees have often been the butt of my jokes on this site.

There does not appear to be a lower helm.

Back
Top Bottom