Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is my boat a British built steel Edwardian style replica motor vessel.
60' long, beam 14', draught 4', and airdraft 10'. About 50 tons. Gardner 6cyl diesel. Naval Architect designed from a picture we supplied. Capable of crossing over to Europe and going onto their inland waterways hence the draft and airdraft.

Cygnus, that is a beauty in form and function. She is everything a boat is supposed to be for me and I commend your excellent taste in ships.

This was at the marina last night.The mast is chopped off. We have a huge bass tournament going on now.

Attachments

• IMG_3477.jpg
    IMG_3477.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3478.jpg
    IMG_3478.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 94
What is that Marty?
A shack on the back of a sailboat?

Murray what a fantastic boat that is.

Love the lines. Such very interesting lines. Basically a wedge fwd and very slack aft. She probably makes very little wake and her design speed is probably very (compared to other boats) specific. As in narrow ideal speed range. However that’s typical of FD hulls in general. Just more specific here.

Ribs/frames seem wimpy.
Looks like the cap rail butt joint isn’t caulked. I have nicer CR joints on Willy.
Cramped wheelhouse. But good visability for a not far fwd WH.
Would be nice to have the foredeck open.
I’d rather have wood countertops.

From the Portuguese bridge to the keel this boat is a real work of art. But from my own personal viewpoint one woud describes her ... HUGE.

Last edited:
A tad big for us, but nice;

1967 Cammenga North Sea Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Migrant is a beauty. I would still like a bridge with upper helm. That could surely be arranged. Photo from aloft makes her seem as though a pleasure boat battle cruiser... and... I mean that in a very good way! :thumb:

:dance: :D

Pretty but it needs a way to launch the dinghy and the wheelhouse is poor. Lonely up there.

Saw this recently at Tarpon Point marina in FL. It's a round "boat" with a gas outboard and a BBQ gill in the middle that people with little experience can rent. What could possibly go wrong!

You can see a Weber style grill on the boat in the background.

IMG_1503.jpg

Last edited:
Saw this recently at Tarpon Point marina in FL. It's a round "boat" with a gas outboard and a BBQ gill in the middle that people with little experience can rent. What could possibly go wrong!

You can see a Weber style grill on the boat in the background.

View attachment 70139

Looks like a round floating bomb that is very difficult or impossible to steer.
I sort of doubt it is USCG approved. LOL

Last edited:
Murray, glad the price was not an issue!! :hide:

Al

I might offer 300K to see how desperate they are.
But then, it has to pass 2 surveys too.
Where does the crew sleep?

Migrant is on our shortlist for our buying trip this spring, but I am concerned about parts cost and availability for the Gardener engine. And who would work on it if it needed repairs beyond R&R of external components?

Also how much more work is a steel boat as opposed to a fiberglass one? I keep hearing/reading that epoxies have changed everything and that there is no more constant chipping and painting, can this be true? There is a nice 54' Vripack that we want to see as well, but we wonder if our yearly maintenance budget will be used up on fighting rust.

BTW we are well aware of the costs involved with a Fiberglas boat in that size range, but steel is not something we have expensed out.

Last edited:
Also how much more work is a steel boat as opposed to a fiberglass one? I keep hearing/reading that epoxies have changed everything and that there is no more constant chipping and painting, can this be true? There is a nice 54' Vripack that we want to see as well, but we wonder if our yearly maintenance budget will be used up on fighting rust.

Sand blasting or CO2 blasting has replaced the chipping hammer, thankfully.

Per the engine, no electronics. It either works or doesn't work. I suspect it is a cable controlled throttle and clutch.

I’ve seen the round party boats in Cartagena, and here in Grenada. Both were available bareboat or $20/hr for captain. The ones in Cartagena had smallish hp outboard, the one here has an 18hp.

I’ve seen the round party boats in Cartagena, and here in Grenada. Both were available bareboat or $20/hr for captain. The ones in Cartagena had smallish hp outboard, the one here has an 18hp.

Maybe it has a big keel to keep it from spinning. LOL

Al

If I were 10 or 15 years younger, ...... Right now, I am hoping for 5 more years on this boat before I give it up.

Sand blasting or CO2 blasting has replaced the chipping hammer, thankfully.

Per the engine, no electronics. It either works or doesn't work. I suspect it is a cable controlled throttle and clutch.

Per the engine: when it doesn't work, are there lots of mechanics around trained in Gardener engines? Do you need to fly in a team from the UK to do an in-frame overhaul? I am pretty sure that we could get timely Volvo or MAN service most anywhere in NA with just a hit to my wallet, but I am not so sure about Gardener. Internet gossip has it that these engines never wear out, but we all know that cannot be true.........

Something you don’t see ever day. On the Seattle Craigslist, and I don’t know the owner. A Grand Banks motorsailor.

Attachments

• 5768F25B-DAEC-4553-B084-26364113F78C.jpeg
    5768F25B-DAEC-4553-B084-26364113F78C.jpeg
    42.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 07F57F90-2FFA-45BB-89A1-F3E11830C1CC.jpeg
    07F57F90-2FFA-45BB-89A1-F3E11830C1CC.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 105
Per the engine: when it doesn't work, are there lots of mechanics around trained in Gardener engines? Do you need to fly in a team from the UK to do an in-frame overhaul? I am pretty sure that we could get timely Volvo or MAN service most anywhere in NA with just a hit to my wallet, but I am not so sure about Gardener. Internet gossip has it that these engines never wear out, but we all know that cannot be true.........

We do know it is a 6 cylinder so that narrows it down a bit. We don't know if it even has an hour meter on it.
Don't know anything about the generator etc.
It is worthy of a look see.

We know it is a 6 cylinder. That narrows it down to 112hp or 150hp or 180hp
Given the length of the boat and the steel hull, we can discount the 112hp engine. I am betting on the 180.

There is much missing specs missing in the boat's description.
When you look at it, gather up all the information and let us know, please.

Al

Ah, found the spec sheets.
It is under one of the engine pics.

A lot of work was done on the boat.
Looking good. That is a lot of boat for 4 people. I would think it should have 3 staterooms and 2 heads.

If you were close and interested, it would be worth looking at.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom