Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey NW and OD... I give you guys lots o' credit!!

I've worked on bottom of lobster boats in Maine, laying em over on small-rock shores, utilizing tide factors and side stilts so the lean did not let gunnels go awash when tide came back in. Also have rebuilt piling docks' girders [etc] using tidal times in Atlantic and Pacific.

Tidal water level changes fast! Don't know if I'd like to chance some of the danger what I see in NW''s photo 4547 and in post 4555

BTW NW - Great photo in 4547!

ME? HA, I live a quiet sedate life on the east coast of FL. All the tidal fun, in the US, is on the left coast. SMIRK

Here is my boat a British built steel Edwardian style replica motor vessel.
60' long, beam 14', draught 4', and airdraft 10'. About 50 tons. Gardner 6cyl diesel. Naval Architect designed from a picture we supplied. Capable of crossing over to Europe and going onto their inland waterways hence the draft and airdraft.

Attachments

• IMAG0296_1.jpg
    IMAG0296_1.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 120
  • IMAG0175.jpg
    IMAG0175.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 136
  • image-1.jpg
    image-1.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0393-1.JPG
    IMG_0393-1.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Fine looking boat. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Damn nice boat! Thanks for good photos.

Would love to see her bottom... I and others on TF get off on that sorta thang! LOL :dance:

Bet she slips through the water; have any photos of underway?

What kind of nmpg does she get at gentle cruise speed?

Happy One-Off Boating Daze - Art :speed boat:

We cruise at 1200 rpm which gives us about 6 knots and don't know about mpg, but with the famous frugality of the Gardner we burn about a gallon an hour.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1477992216411.jpg
    FB_IMG_1477992216411.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 123
  • FB_IMG_1477992328734.jpg
    FB_IMG_1477992328734.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC_0302-2.jpg
    DSC_0302-2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 115
Very cool boat. Looks like an elongated Diesel Duck sedan.

With the 14ft beam and 60ft length, how does it handle the rolls?
Thrusters, bow and stern???

Sleeps how many? Got pictures of the pilot house and galley? MORE pictures please.

Where is your RADAR ???
Fuel and water tank capacity??

I'll bet you have a lot of folks watching you and your boat.
How long did it take them to build your boat?

Cygnus, Great pictures, like others I would like more pictures and specifications.

The boatyard took about 6 months to build the shell, we took it from there. Apart from the Spray foam insulation, I did everything else. We have 4 tanks. Water about 500 gallons, black tank 300 gallons, heating oil tank 200 gallons, and engine propulsion tank 500 gallons. We don't have radar, but AIS.
We have a 20hp hydraulic bow thruster. We have 1.5kw solar panels and a 400 watt wind generator.
We also have a 10kva diesel generator down in the engine room, but we rarely use and may downsize or remove. Down below we have 3 sleeping cabins, a shower room and separate heads. The area below the deck saloon is where all the tanks, storage and engine room is situated. The engine room is back after below the stern deck. The pictures show the shell when we took delivery.

Attachments

• 2017-10-11_10-39-18.jpg
    2017-10-11_10-39-18.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 2017-10-11_10-40-28.jpg
    2017-10-11_10-40-28.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 104
Great pics.
Thanks for the update on the specs. Seems like a very well equipped boat.
Give some serious thought to RADAR. Not every pleasure boater has AIS.
I suggest you keep the generator even if you do not see a need for it, immediately.
Clean it up and put a bow on it.
One day, you will be happy to have the generator.

The boatyard took about 6 months to build the shell, we took it from there. Apart from the Spray foam insulation, I did everything else. We have 4 tanks. Water about 500 gallons, black tank 300 gallons, heating oil tank 200 gallons, and engine propulsion tank 500 gallons. We don't have radar, but AIS.
We have a 20hp hydraulic bow thruster. We have 1.5kw solar panels and a 400 watt wind generator.
We also have a 10kva diesel generator down in the engine room, but we rarely use and may downsize or remove. Down below we have 3 sleeping cabins, a shower room and separate heads. The area below the deck saloon is where all the tanks, storage and engine room is situated. The engine room is back after below the stern deck. The pictures show the shell when we took delivery.

In the shell mode that girl is floating high. Besides thousands of pounds general equipment does she carry specific ballast weights?

We may well fit Radar, as for the Genny we haven't made our minds up. It's not hurting anything sat there. The last trip we did was for about 2 months and never had shore power and never used the generator. While cruising we could use the washing machine etc via inverter, moored up we were self sufficient power wise with solar and wind. When we go off cruising we can get hot water via engine, diesel boiler or immersion (very rare). When we are on our home mooring we have permanent shore power. We also have a solid fuel stove. Nice on those cold winter nights.

Your Gardner is leaning more into the sculptural than engineering realms :smitten:

In the shell mode that girl is floating high. Besides thousands of pounds general equipment does she carry specific ballast weights?

Oh yes, even though she is a mixture of 12mm and 6mm steel plate we still put in over 12 tons of steel ballast. The main concern was getting the bow down. The engine weighing over 2 tons and being right back aft brought the bow up. The wheelhouse and deck saloon is 5mm.

Oh yes, even though she is a mixture of 12mm and 6mm steel plate we still put in over 12 tons of steel ballast. The main concern was getting the bow down. The engine weighing over 2 tons and being right back aft brought the bow up. The wheelhouse and deck saloon is 5mm.

Just a little bit more info.
The Naval Architect who designed the boat for us passed a disc with all the steel specs on to a steel supplier and all the steel was cut under water with some sort of plasma cutting thingummy. The steel amounted to about 25 tons. Some of the 12mm thick steel on the bottom had to be rolled at another plant. As were the vertical round corners on the deck saloon. When the steel arrived at the boatyard every piece was computer etched with it's part number, position nd plate thickness. You could fit the ring frames and stringers together without welding like a giant puzzle.
The Naval Architect also calculated that for every 1.5 tons it would go down 1 inch.

Many thanks Cygnus you share she pictures, it is great vessel and Candy look engine...

Cygnus is in my opinion a freshly colored, dark blue Hull and white top structure, something like my small Nordig tug.

profilepic11864_4.gif

NBs

Last edited:
Many thanks Cygnus you share she pictures, it is great vessel and Candy look engine...

Cygnus is in my opinion a freshly colored, dark blue Hull and white top structure, something like my small Nordig tug.

profilepic11864_4.gif

NBs

Very nice looking craft North Baltic Sea. Yes the Hull is gloss black up to the red rubbing strake, then dark blue, the upper deck works are a pale cream.

A shame about the draft, 7'. However if you were looking for a base in Europe I can think of worse places than Portugal if the boat comes with it's mooring. Trinity House boats are built to fantastic spec.

Damn, that's a beautiful boat Cygnus!

I did not request the survey so I don't know the tank capacities nor anything about the battery banks.

The owner has apparently put a lot of 'love' into that boat maintaining it.

As it says in the write up, "make an offer", it could be yours. Delivery fees extra. Good luck. Enjoy, enjoy!!

Last edited:
Agree w that Art.

Eric

Maybe the notable low-in-water ride with and nose-down is simply because of extra hull weight due to 2" thick teak with close spaced big oak ribs???

That construction technique makes it sturdy for sure... but the per sq. ft. hull weight must be quite a bit. If I recall correctly superstructure is aluminum. Might have done that to help relive overall weight conditions.

Another thought... Having being built in 1970 [47 years ago] if she set in water nearly whole life - would the teak become saturated??? I'm not familiar with reactions [absorption condition] of teak when it's ongoing submerged for decades.

:popcorn:

She does seem to be setting a bit down in the stern.

Her interior is 'dated' but for someone it will be the perfect boat.

Nice looking boat. However, I do not like the way she sets in the water. Her hull seems too ride too low and forward weighted. :popcorn:

Well that all may be true, the 'Figure Heads" on the bow make up for some of that:D

Art,
Part of the bow down appearance may be the camera lens or some other aspect of the pic. I have a pic of Willy that makes her look like that but much or most was due to the fact that our 50gal water tanks aft were nearly empty. If I remember I’ll post the pic when I get home. On the pad at Starbucks.

It’s not a dock. It’s a float.
Tides are 23’ max.
The tall black thing is a piling. You’ll notice that the blak thing changes color in one of the pics. You had me going there for a sec. I was rowing around in my row boat taking these pics. Griffin has an aft engine (small yellow Cat) ... I went aboard and absolutely loved the boat.

Griffin has been for sale since I took these pics.

Here is my own boat on the tidal grid.

Here's another fairly good pic that shows the grid well. You can see the black/slime under the grids that are large steel I beams. Usually there is a lot more kelp under the grids. Walking around at night while staying upright is iffy. Looking closely you can see the two 2x8's I tied to two grids to distribute the weight about equal on two places on the keel. It can also be seen the slight rocker/bow in the keel. The keel is lower between the 2x8's. The shoe extension of the keel is a sizable hunk of bronze. You can also see the whale like shape of a full displacement hull.

Attachments

• DSCF0252 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF0252 copy 2.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom