Old 05-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #281

City: Juneau
Vessel Name: Lady Cherish
Vessel Model: 1978 CHB Heritage 39' Tricabin Trawler
What's the prevailing opinions in re rebuilding the cabin using Yellow Cedar (Sitka Cypress, correctly identified) over a good fiberglass hull? A lot of boats have been built completely of the stuff, but I've heard from a few that the yellow cedar will absorb moisture and become quite heavy...
JungleJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #282
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Ak Jim,

Lots of Yellow Cedar on POW. Several mills in Thorne Bay cut both red and yellow. One mill has a kiln. Ship via Northland?

Haven't heard about the water absorption w Yellow Cedar. I've always thought Yellow Cedar was about the best boatbuilding wood available. On POW the USFS uses YC to build boardwalks through muddy areas in the parks and elsewhere. YC is much harder than Red but Red is much lighter. Yellow is closer to Douglas Fir in density. If you want to FG over the wood yellow may bond better. Red is common for hull planking (seems light to me) but one may prefer it for cabins. If you love varnished wood Red C is a very good choice.

Are you going to take the boat home, block it up and get to work? What part of Juneau do you live in? I was born there and last lived out in the Valley. Prefer Douglas or town though.

Built the cabin on the boat I built in the Queen Charlotte Islands in the 70s somewhere in the valley. That's the really strange looking boat I posted earlier in this thread.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #283

City: Port Huron, MI
Vessel Name: Meander
Vessel Model: 1983 Grand Banks 36 Classic
VINTAGE HOUSEBOAT 23ft TRAILERABLE COMBO CRUISER WITH CLEAR TITLE in Powerboats & Motorboats | eBay Motors
captrigney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:05 PM   #284
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
That boat looks like the early forerunner of the Yukon Delta trailerable houseboats made in Elkhart Indiana. My dad had a '76 model 25'er many moons ago.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:56 AM   #285

City: Port Huron, MI
Vessel Name: Meander
Vessel Model: 1983 Grand Banks 36 Classic
Here's one I actually own.

Its called an Addictor 245. They were the forerunners of the jet boats marketed in the 80's mostely to the rental fleets around the country and the world.

It's 8 feet long, 5 feet wide with a Nissan 45 that pushes her along at 35 MPH with just my skinny butt in it.

Yes, it's PINK. I restored her to her original color. We get more looks than a superyacht.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1884.jpg   IMG_1892.jpg  
captrigney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:44 AM   #286
Guru

HaHa that IS indeed an interesting boat. A little short on freeboard but w 3 big people in an 8' boat .....

And the best kind of boat is a fun boat and you guys are obviously having fun.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:00 AM   #287
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
We came close to getting an Addictor too; real fun little speedsters.

Then... 2010 I ran across a “barn find”... 1975, 14’ 8” Crestliner “Stinger” w/ orig 50 hp Johnson o/b. 250 +/- hrs since new. Hand held GPS and just me reads 39 knots at WOT. With me and Linda she cruises all day at 25 knots and about 21 mpg. Seats four comfortably and will take some pretty steep seas (big boat wakes too) with little problem, especially at slower speeds... cause at higher speed she’ll spank your bottom badly (pound hard on your back/spine) as she flies over the top of wave crests.

We tow this baby everywhere we go. Not showing in picts, I fastened a real nice, white air filled “nose” bumper on her so that when she’s tied close for docking or anchoring her 550 +/- pounds just bounces gently off our Tolly’s transom.

Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1954.jpg   DSCN1955.jpg   DSCN1959.jpg   Downsize Crestliner 100_0436.JPG  
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:59 PM   #288

Reply to Eric of ManyBoats: I bought the CHB "as is, where is" in Juneau's Harris Harbor in January of '11, knowing she had sea water in the engine and hadn't run in 3 years. I knew the vee-berth was pretty much wasted from a leaking windshield, but didn't discover the degree of rot throughout until I stripped the commercial-grade carpet off the walls & celiings to get rid of the moldy smell... Then I discovered that somewhere in her past, likely the 2nd owner, bubble-wrap had been contact-cemented to the woodwork, with carpet glued to that... and you know what happens to plywood (not even 'marine grade,' just plain ol' plywood!) when moisture condenses that can't readily evaporate from... By the time I got done scraping, many places just have 1/4" of fiberglass overlay left.

Well, I bought her as a "sweat equity investment" for less than $25-G, and found an incredible buy on a replacement engine (took 5 months of on-line searching before I lucked out and found an auction buyer who didn't know what he had, just thought it was a diesel pump engine from the Chicago Water Department's Surplus Auction. Total costs including freight from Chicago to Juneau was under $3500! and the history on the engine was included, that she had logged 300 hours of pumping fresh water (using the same for drawing her heat exchanger coolant), was completely rebuilt with new bearings, rings, & valve grind because of age, not hours, then mothballed on a pallet. I paid an extra $300 to have an International Truck Dealership in the Chicago area go to the site and test start the engine on-camera for confirmation of its integrity.

When I bought the boat I was living on a 28' Tollycraft Express Cruiser & showering across the street from Harris Harbor at the High School Swimming Pool, where I swam for exercise anyway. I didn't know that the moorage slip didn't go with the boat, which was moored at the bottom of the Access Ramp, 2nd slip in, which was perfect for the lovely lady I was engaged to in Colorado Springs (I knew she was medically retired with Fibromyalgia, and the nice size of the boat would be at least a starting place for us. But then after living on the Lady Cherish for ten months, the Harbormaster moved us over to Douglas Island, where the winter Taku Wind sometimes gets up to 100-MPH!!! ...We moved to a land-based apartment in December, too much for Kathie... Now we're supporting an apartment and a boat that's not yet functional enough to even take out and enjoy, and that's why I'm considering selling her, instead of investing the time and money into the complete remodel intended.

I can buy the yellow cedar and completely rebuild the vessel into a swank floating condo for about $80-G plus my labor, and I'm quite sure the finished product would not only be very unique, but also very livable, even for Kathie. The plans even include a 170-GPD Water Maker, 12-KW GenSet, & a centrifugal/hydraulic stabilizer, Naiad or equal. Tit-for-tat, there's not a lot of cost difference between fiberglass-over-plywood versus T&G Yellow Cedar, but the future maintenance would be more expensive with the wood, as I understand the Cedar tends to reject even the best of paints and needs repainting every 3 to 5 years.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:09 PM   #289

Eric, BTW, I lived in the Puget Sound area for the first 56 years of my life before moving to Juneau 4 years ago for a job. I served as a Project Manager for Refrigeration & Heating in Burlington back in the early 2000's, and worked with Frank Salsenas from Sedro Wooley, who was the Plumbing Division manager at the time. I designed the Hydronic Floor Heating System for one of the fiberglass boat manufacturers in Anacortes, as well as many other "pet projects" from Seattle to Bellingham to the San Juan Islands. Living currently in a water-view apartment overlooking the Gastineau Channel in Douglas about 15 blocks north of the harbor, & working as a Federal Contractor for Electrical/HVAC/Mechanical/Refrigeration work. I was told when I first moved here and bought the Tollycraft that once you buy a boat in Alaska, you can't ever leave Alaska until you sell the boat...
Old 05-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #290

Art, I had a Crestliner back in the early '80's, too, but the ragtop was long-gone before we bought her, and the prop shaft had been fitted with a Hamilton Jet. A bit slow out of the hole, but perfect for fishing in some pretty shallow areas on the Snohomish River Delta. My then-brother-in-law caught a 22-1/2" 4# Sea-Run Cutthroat Trout right next to the river bank on high-slack tide about a mile upstream from the main mouth where the river dumps into the Puget Sound between Everett & Marysville... A lot of fond memories on that little boat!
Old 05-31-2013, 08:44 PM   #291

In response to Marin's "wannabe windows" post #78, take a look at how many of the higher-end new trawler-type motor yachts are being built with forward-tilting windshields, especially the Pilot House models... I contacted Nordhavn about this feature, and was informed that the specific advantages for such include reduced reflective glare off the water, better visibility in wind-driven heavy rain or high-wind spray conditions, and allows the tiller to be mounted closer to the base of the windshield for optimized view over the bow...
Old 05-31-2013, 09:59 PM   #292
Guru

JJ,
Well I guess you've got to do some serious evaluation. That's a monumental project. Perhaps it would be easier to keep the existing plan of cabins, machinery, floors and perhaps bulkheads. If I were doing it myself I'd be building with plywood and epoxy/glass. No boards .... just plywood. Plywood is stronger, lighter w far fewer seams to twist and work. Will take less time and money to build. The issue that would most likely ruin your plans is Alaska weather and a place to do your work. Most people in Alaska tent their boat to do serious work but doing what you plan I'd be wanting to move the boat into an old cannery building or similar. There was one at Thane but I think its long gone.

But there is an incredible amount of work to achieve your goals and an extensive and objective evaluation of the project and it's cost will be necessary to avoid grief and/or losses. It's hard to be truly objective in a project of this nature.

This is funny Jim. I moved to Thorne Bay (near Ketchikan) 8 years ago and we moved back to Wash state this year. Moving each way was a huge ordeal and expense. We are living in Concrete and spend a great deal of time in Burlington, Sedro Woolley and Mt Vernon. The two of us more or less traded places. But you'll be back. On the average people that move to Alaska stay 5 years. I've lived in AK several times in my life and the Queen Charlotte Islands to boot. And I started life in downtown Juneau.

Yes the fwd slant windows on the pilothouse windows are mostly contemporary style but some actually look fairly nice. And some look just stupid. But there are (as you point out) some advantages, usually of no great importance. They came into existence for reasons.

My aluminum skiff is a Crestliner but an ugly duckling compared to Art's. It's 16' and can haul a lot of weight w the 40 e-tech. I painted it.
Attached Thumbnails
STH71302 copy 2.jpg   DSCF0744 copy 2.jpg  

Old 05-31-2013, 11:42 PM   #293
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Greetings, There has been a couple of comments made that tweaked my thoughts. the following by Dewhatty:
"Okay. I'll stop for awhile after these two Maine built boats: Kintore, a 1995 build based on a William Garden West Coast Halibut Schooner Design, and Grayling, a 1915 Maine sardine carrier that was rebuilt and converted to pleasure 1995-1997."

The two boats shown reflect posting for sale from "Bill Page" boat brokerage located in Maine. The second comment was from a poster who spotted a West Coat salmon troller converted I would suppose, on the East coast waterway. I wonder- Bill Page, who I met" several years ago while we were both moored in Prince Rupert B.C. He really made my day as he inspected our then boat "Tenacious" which Eric has noted earlier in the thread. Bill and his charming wife Paula had purchased several B.C. trollers over the years. I believe he even shipped a couple back East by rail. He spent the time in B.C. cruising the shores seeking natural bent trees that swoop out over the water for their application as bow stems, knees and various uses in their natural form. One of his projects was to ship red and yellow cedar to the East coast where he is currently building a beautiful pleasure boat built on the West Coast. Canada gill net model. If any know Bill, perhaps they would contact and ask him to share photos of this absolutely beautiful boat. It surely must be launched by now. I have lost contact with Bill and would dearly love to have word or update on his boat and health.
A.M.Johnson-Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska
- The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth

Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:30 AM   #294
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
I used to run across Bill Page regularly 10-15 years ago when we had a wooden boat and were hanging around other wooden boats and wooden boat people. Haven't seen him at all lately. I still run across one of his friends, Giffy Full who lives in Brooklin, from time to time, so I'll ask Giffy about Bill next time I see him.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:41 AM   #295

City: Anacortes, WA
Vessel Name: Miss Miranda
Vessel Model: Nordhavn N50
A couple from opening day

Here are a couple of classics from Opening Day 2013 in Seattle.

lokeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:47 AM   #296

Surprised no one has posted this yet...

From Dashew Offshore - the FPB series...

More about them at SetSail

Newest model scheduled to start building in Q4 2013: SetSail» Blog Archive » FPB 78 – Steve & Linda’s New Dream Machine
Old 06-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #297
Guru

lokeefe,

At first I thought you shot a Shane but after zooming in I see it's a Monk. Went to the Salmon Bay Cafe a few days ago and got to drool over the pics of 2 Shanes on the wall.

Why'd the other guy paint his boat grey? Interesting to be sure.

Is your boat a DeFever?

Old 06-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
lokeefe,

At first I thought you shot a Shane but after zooming in I see it's a Monk. Went to the Salmon Bay Cafe a few days ago and got to drool over the pics of 2 Shanes on the wall.

Why'd the other guy paint his boat grey? Interesting to be sure.

Is your boat a DeFever?
Dashew's boats are unpainted aluminum. Pretty interesting, built for ocean crossing, sizes ranging from 64 to 115 feet. The latest design is the FPB 78, which they are designing for themselves. I have visions of commissioning one and setting off on a world cruise... as soon as I win the lottery.

Mine is a 1979 Ocean Alexander Mk I. Similar in many ways to the Defever 49, which we looked at before buying the Mk I.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #299
Guru

Al's boat Tenacious.
Attached Thumbnails
all to 12-15-09 103 copy 2.jpg  

Old 06-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #300
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Like most of us Bill Page is not as young as he once was, but he's still busy selling the odd ship and working on his own boat. This past winter he had occation to move the boat from one shed to another, which was a chance to get a photo of the whole thing. This is the same Garden design as Herself posted earlier in this thread.

One of his current listings is Fury Cove, built by Phil Barron.

Page Traditional Boats :: FURY COVE: A Custom Built 46' West Coast Troller Type Cruising Vessel

And Bill's boat on the trailer.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	page2.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	19953

Click image for larger version

Name:	page4.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	19954
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote