Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Repurposed fireboat (origin unknown) at Causeway Floats, Victoria, BC:

I Talked to this guy's crew at the north end of Vancouver island as we were both staging to head down the west coast back in mid July. The story I heard was that he imported the boat from England, and did a huge refit on it. John Deere, or lugger power, all the windows were old portholes from some old European barge, etc. It was a really cool boat. The guy had done a ton of work.

If that is Montego, it shows up every year at Petersburg. A beautiful boat and, hard to believe, it's wood.

Tator

It is! both. a splendid example and she was heading South by AIS:flowers:

In Treadwell Bay at the head of Slingsby Channel this grand old gal anchored up some time after we did.

Right, not a Feadship. Probably a De Vries Lentsch design, built in Holland or Italy. Alternately it might be a Benetti designed and built in Italy, but I lean toward the De Vries.

There was some sort of incongruous circular seating apparatus on the cabin top; looked like a kiddie toy. Did you see it?

Yes, he had chairs mounted in a circle on the roof of the pilot house. It was kind of goofy.

I had to steal this pic, but the link to the blog follows...
(Its a floating Tiki Bar with an outboard?)

DSCN9754.JPG

Living Aboard Sleepy Dragon

Re: 4362 Boathealer - was that Wyoming?

Was the boats name Wyoming? Guess not. Very similar in appearance former oysterman down here. I for some reason thought that it was at Lulu's in OB. No

Still one of my favorites. 49 Alaskan

Attachments

• IMG_3345.jpg
    IMG_3345.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3346.jpg
    IMG_3346.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 124
Well then you'll probably like Summer.

Attachments

• DSCF0567 copy.jpg
    DSCF0567 copy.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 125
  • DSCF0569 copy.JPG
    DSCF0569 copy.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 122
  • DSCF0571 copy.JPG
    DSCF0571 copy.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 117
Not clear Marty,
"Like a 46"
You're pronouncing Summer is a GB46 ?
As I recall someone thought it was something else in the past.
But from the pics it's hard to find a difference.

Last edited:
Not clear Marty,
"Like a 46"
You're pronouncing Summer is a GB46 ?
As I recall someone thought it was something else in the past.
But from the pics it's hard to find a difference.
Eric I think Summer is a Grand Banks Alaskan 46 . They made a 46 and a 49 . I like both . They are very similar .

WOW! I've long admired their motorsailers, had no idea there were trawlers. Wish I were in the market.

I was on one a number of years ago. I think the term that best describes them is "an economy of space". The Fishers whether power or sail, try to make too many spaces or staterooms. The spaces end up feeling small and cramped. I guess that's ok for sailors, but probably why the trawlers weren't a hit.

Ted

The spaces end up feeling small and cramped. I guess that's ok for sailors, but probably why the trawlers weren't a hit.

Ted

Very astute. I always liked the cocoon-feeling of my sailboats; my wife didn't. Which may explain why she spent four uncomplaining weeks on my trawler this summer.

Ted,
I agree. I looked after one during the winter in Alaska and was amazed at how small they were inside. It was the same length as our boat but you could barely see outside. Even the deck space was better suited to small animals. It had blocky keel shapes aft and no fine entry fwd. About 12hp less than Willy too (27hp) but was a repower. Yanmar.

The Fisher was to the right in the first pic in the snow.

Attachments

• 396529_368961073120463_346772712_n.jpg
    396529_368961073120463_346772712_n.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 196
  • STH71255 copy.jpg
    STH71255 copy.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 218
  • STH71256 copy.jpg
    STH71256 copy.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
I've seen a few of these rare Fisher Trawlers over the years, but never a nice example until now.

1978 Fairways Marine Fisher Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

t
as the site knows from past comments, I just not able to deal with posting photos. Yet, I want to repeat that there is one of these here in Ketchikan who's owner added 6 feet to the stern. What a difference the additions made. Whole section is dedicated to fishing area. Can not say how the addition effected the usual inquiries, SOG, Fuel burn or such. The boat is just a beaut.

Al-Ketchikan

Here's a similar boat Al. Don't recall what she is though.
Pic taken 12 years ago in BC waters.

Attachments

• DSCF0446 copy.jpg
    DSCF0446 copy.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 164
Here's a similar boat Al. Don't recall what she is though.
Pic taken 12 years ago in BC waters.

I'd think a tad top heavy or at least a 'Roller' Not giving up my lead ballast!!!

Al

I've seen a few of these rare Fisher Trawlers over the years, but never a nice example until now.

I’ve always admired the looks of the Fisher and Banjer motorsailers. I even got semi-interested in one of the small Fisher trawlers (25’ ?) a few years back as an island boat for our cabin, but I recall some serious quality stories. From memory, so I might be confused. :)

Seen on the Ohio River this weekend

Seen on the Ohio river

Attachments

• Boat OH River.jpg
    Boat OH River.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 156
NB - Wow what a story! You know where I can locate the full press?

NB - Wow what a story! You know where I can locate the full press?

Hi, i see this story face book sites...:) i think this book is legendarys Robert Bebee "Voyages under Power"
https://www.amazon.com/Voyaging-Under-Power-Robert-Beebe/dp/0071580190

I think it is very hard work hunting 1939 sea maps this route and Pleasure Boating and travel in general were quite rare in the my coutry this time.

I think same guys have FIRST electric autopilots patent 1944/1948 US
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/2446173.html

And free pistons engine(i dont this types engines solutions)
http://www.google.com/patents/US2963008

Beter first page
21617846_1497100023682060_4274283938189478731_n.jpg

Final part of the report

21752046_1497100093682053_6911167701201941501_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom