Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have admired this Jarvis Newman in our harbor for years and now it's just gone on the market. Very well maintained. Wish I could afford it.

Roaring Bull

Very nice and tidy David Hawkins,
But that FB looks like it's squashing down the main cabin in one picture. And no visability from the lower helm os very poor. But what a beautiful boat.
Your loss unless the boat stays after it sells.

It's not that interesting but it's the only sister ship to William that I know of. Sorry the pics are jacked up .

Attachments

• IMG_3163.jpg
    IMG_3163.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_3164.jpg
    IMG_3164.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 175
In Treadwell Bay at the head of Slingsby Channel this grand old gal anchored up some time after we did.

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 163.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 163.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 245
Thanks for all the response.
Don't know anything about the boat. Perhaps Tad knows.
I'm quite sure she's steel. Great feature that you can run down to the foredeck from the bridge in a few seconds. The anchor is not a Navy type. It's a Halls Anchor. Unlike the Navy the Halls flukes originate in close to the shank. That gives then a pitchfork look.
If I was looking at this picture what I'd want to know would be why is she anchored so close to the shore/rocks. I didn't have a clue then or now. I 've assumed her ground tackle was on the port side .. out of sight. But there she sat just as you see her.

Last edited:
Beautiful boat in a beautiful setting!
thanks!

Thanks BH

Bet that baby slips through the water with great mpg!

Seen in False Creek, Vancouver, BC:

Attachments

• P1000094.jpg
    P1000094.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 161
Repurposed fireboat (origin unknown) at Causeway Floats, Victoria, BC:

Attachments

• P1000214.jpg
    P1000214.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 169
Amazing what you can do with four or five sheets of marine plywood:

Attachments

• 1501001583152.jpg
    1501001583152.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 874
In Treadwell Bay at the head of Slingsby Channel this grand old gal anchored up some time after we did.

Eric, a 'Friendship' such as the one you submitted, showed up here in Ketchikan yesterday "Montago" is the name. I have not AISs it to see where it is today. Could it be the same?

Al-Ketchikan

Thank you for posting this picture. Truly gorgeous. I also would like to know what it is.
Did I miss it, but how old is the shot?

Guys,
This pic I took is a bit over 10 years old. We were moving to Alsska running Willy up the coast. For those not familiar w NW waters this was on the mainland side of Queen Charolette Strait about the same lat as the north end of Vancouver Is. Just south of Cape Caution.
And as I said I had hoped Tad would pop in and present details about the boat. I don't think it's a Feedship. Most Feedships are longer and lower. Many to most were steel though. And I might add I never saw the boat again.

I'm mystified about how they anchored. All I can think of is that they used fore and aft anchors on the port side. May have been w cable as I did notice no chain rattling.

Thanks BH

Bet that baby slips through the water with great mpg!

Yes I think you're right Art. But she's not a FD boat. Basically a long Lobsterboat. And of course they are long to begin with.
Her weight was minimized by minimizing her hull size. Having a smaller (lower) hull reduced her hull weight a lot more than the higher cabin added. Net result = lighter boat.

Amazing what you can do with four or five sheets of marine plywood:
attachment.php

This is a Steve Lewis design called Chugger. They can be built all kinds of ways from less than 8 feet to close to 16 feet with a lot of different cabin layouts. There used to be a yahoo group and a website dedicated to his various designs.

If that is Montego, it shows up every year at Petersburg. A beautiful boat and, hard to believe, it's wood.

Tator

Petersburg is a great place to find great boats. Walking the floats is always a rewarding experience.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom