Old 01-24-2016, 11:41 AM   #2881
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
I did take notice of the big wake in the video... but that could or been caused by the skipper wanting to show off for the camera.. look at the stern wake in the other video.. it looks really flat.. who knows.

A lot of boat that looks pretty well done for the money.. the bridge dash/ helm needs some redesign but the E.R. looks very well laid out. Typical in some home built boats.. the builder spends a lot of time laying out the engineering spaces and does a less than stellar job on the aesthetics of the woodwork.

HOLLYWOOD
Sorry....I was dashing out the door when I posted that short comment on Banshee's wake.

What I meant to say was that while Banshee does chuck up a bit of water at the bow at cruising speed, it was the video looking aft that really impressed me...the wake was really small and not even close to curling over at the lip.

As far as the "no bling" interior, I prefer fine work boat quality to ostentatious opulence

Old 01-24-2016, 01:07 PM   #2882

City: Scituate MA
Vessel Name: Seahorse
Vessel Model: Cape Dory 28
Interesting Boats

Thanks CPSeudonym, Let me try again..

I came across this picture of what I think is a troller built in either Alaska or Washington. Has anyone seen the actual boat or have any information on it? Is it a troller?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chugash Troller.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	48328  

Skeetsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:21 PM   #2883
Veteran Member

City: port orchard, wa
Vessel Name: skybird
Vessel Model: skookum/one off
good old middlenatch island is were the tide splits...if one gets close enuf to the bird sanctuary island, you`d see why i named it 'birdshit island!' [don`t get to close, and stay up wind...clyde
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:31 PM   #2884
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post

As far as the "no bling" interior, I prefer fine work boat quality to ostentatious opulence
!

Me too... just imagine the ruined White House - if Don Don moves in. LOL
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:32 PM   #2885
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeetsdad View Post
Thanks CPSeudonym, Let me try again..

I came across this picture of what I think is a troller built in either Alaska or Washington. Has anyone seen the actual boat or have any information on it? Is it a troller?
U.S.Forest Service crew boat used in the mid 50's. Back when a crew of five or so timber cruisers for the forest service would travel about S.E.Alaska sorting out small sales for A-Frame logging operations. In addition to this boat, where it was constructed I am not certain . I believe it was stationed in the Sitka area of the Tongass Forest,or assigned to the Chugach Forest further North.

The Service had five other boats of similar design constructed here in Ketchikan during the same period of time, maybe even back to the late 40's. They were called 'Ranger' class and had individual numbers assigned, Ranger 5, Ranger 9 are still floating somewhere in the PNW.

Had to come back and add this site:
http://vilda.alaska.edu/cdm/singleit...id/12941/rec/3

Okay, I enlarged the photo. This is the boat that was assigned to the Chugach area.

Al-27'Marben Pocket CRUISER
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:00 PM   #2886

Thanks Al.

I searched a bit more using your information and found her. Chugash was commissioned in 1925 and assigned to Cordova AK. She moved over to Petersburg in 1953. She is 60' and was built and commissioned for just over $25K. I found more pics on a US Forest Service Facebook page - Tongass National Forest. They had several other pics. She is on the National Historic Register and still in service!
Old 01-24-2016, 03:44 PM   #2887
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Skeetdad,
The boat was in Craig Alaska about 5years ago. I took the picture using my more or less pocket camera braced on a wood hand railing .. w full telephoto. Got a bit lucky as well.

Under the avatar I wish they'd change it from city to state. Where is Scituate? As in what part of what country?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 04:23 PM   #2888
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Scituate is in Mass, south of Boston.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:06 PM   #2889
Veteran Member

City: port orchard, wa
Vessel Name: skybird
Vessel Model: skookum/one off
those old forestry boats were great, most of the original engines were chrysler ace, crown, and the royal, gas engines. those engines started appearing in the mid 40`s, when i was the crew on my dad`s 38ft troller! we fished noyes island, to sitka...lived in wrangle for 3 yrs, till my mom almost died, and we had to move back to seattle...started crewing on seiners when i was 14!...sure were lots of fish in those days! we went out about 0300 every morning, came in to unload about 1600, we made over $100 a day most of the summer! fished halibut every may/june around cape pole too, then in the fall, we gillnetted in the stikine river by wrangell...ok, i`m done...clyde
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:11 PM   #2890

Manyboats, Thanks for the reply and that picture.. Ill give you credits at the bottom of my screensaver! Id like to get a look inside that boat someday. It looks like a stove pipe coming out of the after cabin on the port side. Must be a interesting layout.

Scituate is about 20 miles south of Boston. Ill update my profile to include the state.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:13 PM   #2891
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Be real interesting to see the interior of Chugach. That stovepipe in the aft cabin is more likely a heater than a stove, as there is a stovepipe standing near the engine exhaust, likely where the galley is located. A diesel heater like a Dickinson or Fab-All would be right for the cabin volume and would have a stack about that diameter. I suspect there were issues with the smell of the exhaust on deck, hence the tall stack to get it up into the stream of the engine exhaust. I had to play with the height of my own diesel stove stack to get it right.
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:32 PM   #2892
Guru

About five years ago or so there was a showing open to the public in downtown Ketchikan where several (I think it was three) of these forest service boats tied up in Thomas Basin. It was a stones throw from where we usually tied up there.

I think all the boats had a large oil stove that ran all the time. Don't remember the engines but I'd bet they were DD 671. Wish I had taken pictures. Sorry.

Clyde,
Good stuff. There's a certian place to be fishing all through the season in SE. Noyes Is has always been where the big boys fish but now they say they've got to go 20 miles out to catch fish. You could tell us some great stories I'm sure. Will you is one question and where is another. Ask a moderator would be my inclination.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:35 PM   #2893
Al
Guru

[I][QUOTE=clyde;..started crewing on seiners when i was 14!...sure were lots of fish in those days! we went out about 0300 every morning, came in to unload about 1600, we made over $100 a day most of the summer! [/I]

Hi Clyde, Interesting, We must be about the same age (78?) I too started fishing on the seiners at 14. What a wonderful way to become a man!. Gone from home for weeks at a time and your parents didn't seem to fret, although thinking back I am sure that the case. You had to have your parents okay and that was all. I continued to work the seiners till I graduated high school then a year on local tug boat then into military. Sorry to say few days I made a buck!! Not the best of boats and if I could I will tell a tale. The first boat was the 'Lily'-38 foot sainer, yes, Chrysler Crown engine. The turn table was chain driven and never worked. My bunk was over the gas tank and the oil stove oil line ran over my head and leaked. The captain had a tuna fish can wired at the leak. Each morning it was my job to un-wire the can and lean out and over the cook stove, lift the lid, pour the oil from the can in, and light the stove. We all four of us crew lived in the focle, the captain, being under six feet tall, was able to sleep in the day bunk in the small pilot house.
The skiff had a four cylinder 'Skippy' gas engine. It never stayed running, so we threw a 10 hp Johnson in the transom. It never stayed running, so we (I) rowed the skiff to shore to tie the saine net to a tree while the boat held the net open for the time required, then untie the end and row like heck back towards the boat. Great times!! Thanks Clyde for the moment;

Al-27'Marben-Ketchikan
Old 01-24-2016, 11:51 PM   #2894
Al
Guru

Let me add a bit to the last post. You can picture what the 'Power' skiff 0f 1950's I mentioned may have looked. Small 16 foot wood, flat bottom, leaked, 25 HP 'Skippy' engine, dirty, and so forth. Now look!! Here is the replacement of today's technology. Same fish, same fishing grounds, and here is what is now employed as the power skiff of today.

Svendsen Marine LLC - *22' X 12' power skiffstwo of the four power skiffs built this year are pictured below

Al-Ketchikan
Old 01-25-2016, 08:08 AM   #2895
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
That's one odd looking boat. That's used to tow a net, but not bring the catch aboard? Confused.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:28 AM   #2896
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
That's one odd looking boat. That's used to tow a net, but not bring the catch aboard? Confused.
No, it is so ugly they use it to scare the fish into the net!
Old 01-25-2016, 09:06 AM   #2897
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
No, it is so ugly they use it to scare the fish into the net!
Well then!

That means there are some of the newer so called boats that are ugly enough to really be called trawlers and therefore meet the original definition of that boat-type-name... cause their own ugly looks could also scare fish into a net!

Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:46 AM   #2898
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Well then!

That means there are some of the newer so called boats that are ugly enough to really be called trawlers and therefore meet the original definition of that boat-type-name... cause their own ugly looks could also scare fish into a net!

I have seen some of these craned aboard commercial trawlers in photos from PNW and assume the protected running gear is so it can sit on deck?

Certainly not designed for beauty!
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:49 AM   #2899

City: Port Townsend WA
Vessel Name: Panope
Vessel Model: Colvin Saugeen Witch, Aluminum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Let me add a bit to the last post. You can picture what the 'Power' skiff 0f 1950's I mentioned may have looked. Small 16 foot wood, flat bottom, leaked, 25 HP 'Skippy' engine, dirty, and so forth. Now look!! Here is the replacement of today's technology. Same fish, same fishing grounds, and here is what is now employed as the power skiff of today.

Svendsen Marine LLC - *22' X 12' power skiffstwo of the four power skiffs built this year are pictured below

Al-Ketchikan
I noticed the skiff has a 425 HP engine. I reckon that is more power than most motherships of yesteryear.

Steve
Old 01-25-2016, 11:08 AM   #2900
Guru

Al .. Clyde,
I heard a similar story about a guy sleep'in alongside a 6-71 in a seiner.