Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not real sure about this one

When I first saw it I thought it was a deep dive sub, but it is rigged like a boat. The hull looks like it came from a big boiler.

11128-albums589-picture3792.jpg

Looking at the hull I would say it should be a tank of something, below and above water hull shape is cylindrical so guess it is a tank.

L.

I bet she burns a hell of a lot of fuel trying to push that box through the water.

Here is a steel hull at our marina... Interesting boat, supposedly owner is no longer with us, his wife pays the slip fees to keep a place for the boat.

Talking about bucket lists. This would be my bucket list boat. Has the lines of a North Sea trawler like I grew up with.

I would cruise the PAC North West/Alaska, then head south, work the coast down to Panama then head west out to the South Pacific Islands. I traded out there on tramp ships in the 70's and absolutely love the area. That would be the dream.

I will finish a few years on the East Coast and Bahamas on Scot Free first. Then depending on my health, if I am still good finish the dream.

Seen at my marina last weekend, Lady D'Eau, a Beneteau Swift Trawler 50, pretty rare here:

20170708_192720.jpg

20170708_192238.jpg

20170708_191356.jpg

L.

Pretty boat, but that's a lot of glass. Is it a coastal cruiser, semi-displacement?

No kidding. From the capsize test video, it has positive stability at any angle of roll.

Love it!

Often wondered... Regarding "real world" practical operations when out to sea and full rollover happens once or more times due to conditions: What happens to oil in engine when it's still running yet being upside down for short period of time??

Love it!

Often wondered... Regarding "real world" practical operations when out to sea and full rollover happens once or more times due to conditions: What happens to oil in engine when it's still running yet being upside down for short period of time??

I'd like to know as well. Other than that, it seems like a good around the world M/V. :D

Love it!

Is that what a dry sump oiling system addresses?

Love it!

I'd expect they would run a dry sump with a separate oil reservoir large enough to supply lubrication for the time period the boat is may be inverted.
This would also help in rough seas when upright. The crankshaft isn't contacting a pool of oil losing efficiency and causing frothing of the oil.

Running inverted won't help an engine but it won't kill it either. We had a tractor that ran all the fuel out of the dual fuel filters before it stopped, probably 45 minutes upside down at 1800 RPM and no damage to the engine. The sheet metal was messed up, as expected but the engine was still good to go. We tore it down and found that the cylinder hone marks were still fresh as they are new, even though it had 1000 hours on it.

The real problem with a true inversion would be that they would need 360 degree fuel pickups or it will get air in the lines during the inversion. Once you get the fuel run through the filters, you would get a slug of air to get out of the fuel lines and that could take some cranking. In craft that expect knockdowns or inverted flights, they have a weighted end on the fuel pickup with flexible hose so the weight will follow the fuel, and keep air out of the lines. One would wonder if they thought of that.

Thunder Child was in Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show, and was ahead of Kadey Krogen, If I remember correctly... May be a sturdy boat but not easy on the eyes.

Who is the intended audience for Thunder Child. I'm assuming that's not for sale to the general public, just military/rescue/government types, no?

Running inverted won't help an engine but it won't kill it either. We had a tractor that ran all the fuel out of the dual fuel filters before it stopped, probably 45 minutes upside down at 1800 RPM and no damage to the engine. The sheet metal was messed up, as expected but the engine was still good to go. We tore it down and found that the cylinder hone marks were still fresh as they are new, even though it had 1000 hours on it.

The real problem with a true inversion would be that they would need 360 degree fuel pickups or it will get air in the lines during the inversion. Once you get the fuel run through the filters, you would get a slug of air to get out of the fuel lines and that could take some cranking. In craft that expect knockdowns or inverted flights, they have a weighted end on the fuel pickup with flexible hose so the weight will follow the fuel, and keep air out of the lines. One would wonder if they thought of that.

Thunder Child was in Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show, and was ahead of Kadey Krogen, If I remember correctly... May be a sturdy boat but not easy on the eyes.

Wonder what oil and fuel set ups work for propped, combustion engine little planes as they perform tricks doing barrel rolls?? They did those all the way back into the fairly early 1900's.

Bay Weld Custom Aluminum Trawler

We are cruising and currently docked in Fish Creek on the Door County Peninsula between Green Bay and Lake MI. Walking the docks, I discovered this unusual aluminum trawler styled work boat and spent some time talking to the owner.

It is a 30 ft Bay Weld made in Flower, Alaska, and was custom built as a private owner’s fishing boat. A young man bought the boat from the owner, who was getting too old to use it, and had it shipped here. He uses it to ferry supplies to and from his summer home on an offshore island. He says it is the only Bay Weld he is aware of on the Great Lakes.

I assume that some of you in the NW may have run across these, especially if you have been as far north as Alaska?

Attachments

• IMG_1422.jpg
    IMG_1422.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1421.jpg
    IMG_1421.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1419.jpg
    IMG_1419.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_1418.jpg
    IMG_1418.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_1425.jpg
    IMG_1425.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1426.jpg
    IMG_1426.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1427.jpg
    IMG_1427.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 149
Upon first word glance and quick look at drawing seems that 180 degree inversion of engine had better not be for long... at all. I missing something??

From what I remember from my aviation days, the tank(s) have compartments with weighted trap doors inside. As the plane rolls, the oil is trapped in a small compartment inside the oil tank at the pick up. The same kind of deal happens in the fuel tanks, except the pick up is weighted and flips over as the tank rolls upside down with the aircraft. They are called flop tubes.

Inverted fuel systems
https://stab-iitb.org/newton-mirror/askasci/eng99/eng99417.htm

Inverted oil systems.
https://ravenaircraft.com/products2/engine-firewall-forward/raven-inverted-oil-system/

This goes inside the tank and flops around with in the fuel. Could be used with oil, I would think.
05-20509.jpg

That is a very common design for boats 25 to 35' in the PNW. Bay weld is one of the manufacturers. Some have outboards, I/O's and even diesel inboards. They have them set up for fishing, nature tours and ferrying around work crews and other miscellaneous things.

They seem very robust and the heated cabin and head makes it comfortable for a day trip.

Other configurations are available for people who want to spend more time on the boat.

I would be interested to see its slip. Would not fit in any slip of my marina for sure.

L.

We are cruising and currently docked in Fish Creek on the Door County Peninsula between Green Bay and Lake MI. Walking the docks, I discovered this unusual aluminum trawler styled work boat and spent some time talking to the owner.

It is a 30 ft Bay Weld made in Flower, Alaska, and was custom built as a private owner’s fishing boat. A young man bought the boat from the owner, who was getting too old to use it, and had it shipped here. He uses it to ferry supplies to and from his summer home on an offshore island. He says it is the only Bay Weld he is aware of on the Great Lakes.

I assume that some of you in the NW may have run across these, especially if you have been as far north as Alaska?

Yes it is great!

A couple of nice boats anchored here in Pruth Bay, Northern Coast BC, tonight.
Love the North Sea hull on that motorsailer - must have been made in Great Britain by the looks of her.

Don't recognize the trawler, but nice lines & layout.

Attachments

• MS.jpg
    MS.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 133
  • Trawl.jpg
    Trawl.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 140
dvd,
The North Sea is nice yes.
But the other trawler is about the ugliest trawler ever posted here. Should have good visability though and a boat w good vis isn't all bad to be sure. Oh and I love that style of FB. May be good things below the WL too.

A couple of nice boats anchored here in Pruth Bay, Northern Coast BC, tonight.
Love the North Sea hull on that motorsailer - must have been made in Great Britain by the looks of her.

Don't recognize the trawler, but nice lines & layout.

The motorsailor looks like a Nauticat built in Finland.

Back
Top Bottom