Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Forrest Sherman Class Destroyer

I spent my first 5 years in the Navy on board the USS Turner Joy (DD-951). She is now a museum in Seattle Washington. Loved my Tin Can duty!!

How about a 47' Elco with twin Yanmar 315s with low hours? Not mine but @ 19k just dying for someone to restore her brightwork.

https://mobile.craigslist.org/bpo/6206539142.html
00A0A_do6CUab0NC3_600x450.jpg

The idea of someone pulling the engines and letting her sit makes me crazy.

I'm drooling! Beautiful, and within a days drive:banghead: Alas, Admiral wants a sundeck - truth be told, so do I.

YEEE-HAWWWW!

I'd have to have to order a specially designed coffee cup for this boat. Not to mention the head, for which I might have continuous use.

That is dang purdy. If I was to ever get out that way I don't think I would ever come home just because of the boats . Thanks for posting.

Exactly what I was thinking. Even better is the water depth for cruising those drafty PNW one-off trawlers creations.

I think Thunder Child's has a ways to go before its a more impressive avatar than Heal Hustlers.. HH is grabbing some serious air!

You know how those KK Manatees are known for crossing dangerous bars and surf conditions..

I'd have to have to order a specially designed coffee cup for this boat. Not to mention the head, for which I might have continuous use.

I kept wondering how they keep the water out of the engine intakes.

Seen from my marina the day after Canada Day. This CG was in Ottawa for the 150th. Pictures are not good but she was impressive to see. The most surprising was the generated waves, not high, maybe 1 to 2 feet max, but with very long period and very strong. Even behind the wave breaker all the boat were swinging crazy during 10 minutes.
20170703_101951.jpg

20170703_101953.jpg

20170703_101957.jpg

20170703_102006.jpg

L.

I kept wondering how they keep the water out of the engine intakes.

Probably don't. But I'm sure there's some clever separator plumbing so when the air gets to the engines it's most likely just "humid". In normal running the volume of air circulating through the engine compartment brobably keeps things rather dry. Rinsing w fresh water is likely a regular event.

What impressed me about Thunder Child was its stability, especially when hit broadside by a breaking wave and how it slid sideways down the waves face until the bow swung around.

Greetings,
Mr. MM. Re: Post #4272 (just above). "...was its stability,..." I agree but how much can be attributed to design and how much to the captain's skill?

Lou Tribal,

Many years ago I was working the lower Fraser River when CCG took delivery of a new hover craft quite similar to the one in your pics. They put on quite a show. Depart from up river somewhere, probably Steveston with load of white shirts, fly down the river, jump the breakwater on the north side of the channel, do a fast loop over the mud flats, back over the breakwater, return up river for a fresh load of white shirts. Lather, rinse, repeat. All the while the tide was dropping. Eventually they jumped the breakwater and left the skirt on the river side. OOPS!

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but respect for CCG. Amazingly skilled and dedicated professionals. But.... it was funny to watch.

Hi RT,

It looked to me like the captain purposefully but the boat into position so it would be hit sideways by the wave. Testing its limits, so to speak. Me-thinks once you start sliding sideways down the face of a breaking wave it's all about design and nothing about the captains skill :eek: until the captain senses an opportunity to regain control.

Lou Tribal,

Many years ago I was working the lower Fraser River when CCG took delivery of a new hover craft quite similar to the one in your pics. They put on quite a show. Depart from up river somewhere, probably Steveston with load of white shirts, fly down the river, jump the breakwater on the north side of the channel, do a fast loop over the mud flats, back over the breakwater, return up river for a fresh load of white shirts. Lather, rinse, repeat. All the while the tide was dropping. Eventually they jumped the breakwater and left the skirt on the river side. OOPS!

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but respect for CCG. Amazingly skilled and dedicated professionals. But.... it was funny to watch.

Nothing wrong, I wish I was here to see that lol
One thing I found a bit too much was to see them in the overcraft going full throttle just aside the fishermen little boat (you can see it on the picture). At first sight it was looking like they were just smashing them.

L.

I missed that. Old eyes, small pic. If it's as close as the pic indicates that was irresponsible. Unless there was good reason to need to go that fast. But cameras are deceptive 2 being the dimensional things that they are.

What impressed me about Thunder Child was its stability, especially when hit broadside by a breaking wave and how it slid sideways down the waves face until the bow swung around.

I did that out in Dixon Entrance on a light boat that I designed. Ever since I held up the ability to slide sideways down the face of a breaking sea as an excellent element of seaworthyness. I didn't give any thought to this in preparing my design. It just happened.

Double chine sampan style hulls frequently have this ability.

Here is a steel hull at our marina... Interesting boat, supposedly owner is no longer with us, his wife pays the slip fees to keep a place for the boat.

Attachments

• 20170518_195609118_iOS.jpg
    20170518_195609118_iOS.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 183
Whatever it is, it's cool.

After looking at the Benford site, I think that is Sinbad. Man I'd like to own that boat. The dodger/bimini makes it look a little funky IMO, but I still like it.

Last edited:
Here is a steel hull at our marina... Interesting boat, supposedly owner is no longer with us, his wife pays the slip fees to keep a place for the boat.
I wonder if the right person came along, if they could make a deal for her.

Whatever it is, it's cool.

After looking at the Benford site, I think that is Sinbad. Man I'd like to own that boat. The dodger/bimini makes it look a little funky IMO, but I still like it.

For pity's sake Cardude, go get her and bring her to the Sound. Both of you belong here.

I would think that prop walk would be negated by the shape of the rear tunnel kind of like multiple skegs seems to lessen prop walk. I'm not sure about reversing and cavitation. Maybe the shape builds the water in around the prop as it moves back. Just a guess on that.

There is a 21 foot model being built now on the Bateau site. Might be possible to get the designer to draw up a larger model.

That is dang purdy. If I was to ever get out that way I don't think I would ever come home just because of the boats . Thanks for posting.

I've spent many hours on board. Very cool boat. Originally designed and built by the owners great grandfather. The first thing my girlfriend said when we heard he was selling was "you're not buying it"!

More pictures and information on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BCForestServiceVesselNesika/
More pictures

Back
Top Bottom