Old 01-16-2016, 08:06 AM   #2841

City: Waiheke Island
Al,

No, never saw this one before. I can see why you are saying that, but in that size (46') I would have half the displacement and a 10+ knots cruising speed.

There is an interesting view of it on a related blog:

At least it has a reasonably fine entry and it is not dragging the transom in the water, but hull shapes like this have a very steep rise in the resistance curve approaching hull speed.
They can appear economical at slow speeds, but you need to be happy with what you get there and 7.5 knots cruising for a boat that size is pretty slow really.

For any given type of displacement hull, resistance and displacement are almost directly correlated. If you want long range and economy, the first thing you do is get rid of dead weight. Then you suddenly need less fuel, so smaller tanks, which makes the boat lighter again. Next, the engine can be smaller because it has become easier to push, and the boat gets lighter again...

With Wild South, we had decided to draw the line at 4500kg / 10000lbs, because we were concerned she would bounce around too much. These days she steams around with low tanks most of the time, because the issue never materialised and the weight saving makes her faster and more economical.
Also she had started with a 3-53 GM and later changed to a marinised Nissan LD28. Not only it made the boat quite a bit lighter, but it actually improved the motion.

Eric

Seaspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:55 AM   #2842
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
This boat sold awhile back I think. It was an interesting conversion. John Deere main. No generator. Small window AC in the master ran off the inverter. Kind of cool in a utilitarian way.

cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:45 AM   #2843
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Winnie the Pooh is kind of "famous" to those of us that are/were on the T&T email server. It is a sailboat conversion, hence the hull shape.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:59 AM   #2844
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Interesting boats

I went to look at it. I thought it was cool, but the wife didn't share my enthusiasm. 😁

I thought it was well done, and the owner was very knowledgable IMO. Why is it "famous"?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:14 PM   #2845
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Seaspray wrote;
"For any given type of displacement hull, resistance and displacement are almost directly correlated. If you want long range and economy, the first thing you do is get rid of dead weight. Then you suddenly need less fuel, so smaller tanks, which makes the boat lighter again. Next, the engine can be smaller because it has become easier to push, and the boat gets lighter again..."

Thanks for bringing that up ...
Many focus on props, engines and their fuel consumption curves whereas a reduction in vessel weight will probably give better results. Loose 10% disp. loose 10% fuel burn. And the best place to trim weight is while searching for a boat. Just pass up the heavy dogs. And w a smaller boat one looses speed but gains big in fuel economically.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:28 PM   #2846
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Seaspray wrote;
"For any given type of displacement hull, resistance and displacement are almost directly correlated. If you want long range and economy, the first thing you do is get rid of dead weight. Then you suddenly need less fuel, so smaller tanks, which makes the boat lighter again. Next, the engine can be smaller because it has become easier to push, and the boat gets lighter again..."

Thanks for bringing that up ...
Many focus on props, engines and their fuel consumption curves whereas a reduction in vessel weight will probably give better results. Loose 10% disp. loose 10% fuel burn. And the best place to trim weight is while searching for a boat. Just pass up the heavy dogs. And w a smaller boat one looses speed but gains big in fuel economically.
I think what you're talking about is Semi-displacement or planing hull boats. A displacement hull boat efficiency changes only slightly based on weight. Most true displacement hull boats are about as efficient with full fuel as they are nearly empty.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:51 PM   #2847
Guru

No .. Talking about full displacement boats/hulls.

When I think of how much power power is required to drive a FD hull I'm think'in how much hp per ton of disp will I need. Willy (my boat) has 5 and 3.5 to 4.5 is about right. Trawlers are largely SD boats and I'm quite sure they are not linear in this reguard.

Old 01-16-2016, 07:13 PM   #2848
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Anyone with a 50+ ton full displacement vessel will tell you that there is hardly any difference in fuel economy or speed between light load and full load.

On Semi-displacement / planing hulls, weight is critical, since you have to transition from displacement to on top of the water and it takes horsepower to do that.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:34 PM   #2849
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Winnie the Pooh is kind of "famous" to those of us that are/were on the T&T email server. It is a sailboat conversion, hence the hull shape.
Fast Freds neighbors conversion. Very nicely done. The new owner is probably very happy.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:00 PM   #2850
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
I went to look at it. I thought it was cool, but the wife didn't share my enthusiasm. 😁

I thought it was well done, and the owner was very knowledgable IMO. Why is it "famous"?

Mark was a prolific poster on the server.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:32 PM   #2851
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
Anyone with a 50+ ton full displacement vessel will tell you that there is hardly any difference in fuel economy or speed between light load and full load.

On Semi-displacement / planing hulls, weight is critical, since you have to transition from displacement to on top of the water and it takes horsepower to do that.
"hardley any difference" in a boats gros weight means hardly any difference on any size boat. It's basically directly porportional.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:34 PM   #2852
Guru

Here's an interesting fishing boat in Alaska. Looks like she's ready for quite big water. Must be one of those guys that fishes 20 miles offshore. Visibility out those pilothouse ports must be fairly limited but that's what my dad had on his Navy "baby freighter".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STH71896 copy.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	48176   Click image for larger version

Name:	STH71898 copy.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	48177  

Old 01-16-2016, 11:01 PM   #2853
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Nice little salmon troller Eric. Not much view out the portholes but those portholes are likely to survive repeated breaking green water incidents. Only view he cares about is filling that fish hold.

The person who is saying something is impossible should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
CPseudonym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:47 AM   #2854

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: INFINITY ∞
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 62
I'm thinking he chose those ports because they were available at the time. Served the purpose. Nothing more, nothing less. "Get-er-done" type of thing. win-win on all fronts. +1, why not?
nemier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 01:13 AM   #2855

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
No .. Talking about full displacement boats/hulls.

When I think of how much power power is required to drive a FD hull I'm think'in how much hp per ton of disp will I need. Willy (my boat) has 5 and 3.5 to 4.5 is about right. Trawlers are largely SD boats and I'm quite sure they are not linear in this regard.
Exactly, purely proportional for FD hulls as long as the hydrodynamics don't change, like when the transom starts getting wet etc.
Wild South is light, but still pure displacement. It is a matter of hull shape first and foremost, it really relates to the way the hull works.

A quantity of interest when choosing a boat is the length/displacement (L/D^0.33) ratio if speed (and economy at speed) is any consideration. The rise in the resistance curve is softened/deferred, at least initially, when the L/D ratio is high enough.
It is nice to get at least 5.5 or so, preferably 6+. The best length to use in the calculation is the wetted length of the hull at speed. Displacement is volume in cubic metres.

SD hulls lose their top end a lot more quickly when loaded and a lot of the time they are not as good at lower speeds. I have come to think that trying to generate hydrodynamic lift is more a mistake than anything else, unless the objective is planing speeds. Who says lift says induced drag and the penalty is very significant.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:38 AM   #2856
FF
Guru

A full displacement boat will go cheapest at about the SQ rt of the LWL.

As it takes 2-3 HP per ton (2240lbs) dumping 10% of a 50,000 lb boat is just over 2 tons.

With a diesel creating at best 16hp per gallon the removal of a 4 to 6 hp requirement is not measurable , unless on a long ocean passage where 1/4 GPH might get noticed in 50 or 100 hours of steady motoring..

The advantage of the true full displacement hull is constant ,
hull shaped for the task, no dragging transom, proper sized engine and gearing.

6K or 7K is where most folks seem to travel when its a 500, 1,000= miles of trip.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:17 PM   #2857

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
A full displacement boat will go cheapest at about the SQ rt of the LWL.

As it takes 2-3 HP per ton (2240lbs) dumping 10% of a 50,000 lb boat is just over 2 tons.

With a diesel creating at best 16hp per gallon the removal of a 4 to 6 hp requirement is not measurable , unless on a long ocean passage where 1/4 GPH might get noticed in 50 or 100 hours of steady motoring..

The advantage of the true full displacement hull is constant ,
hull shaped for the task, no dragging transom, proper sized engine and gearing.

6K or 7K is where most folks seem to travel when its a 500, 1,000= miles of trip.
Yes, but the question of the most economical speed is a little more involved. In terms of hull, L/D has a lot to do with it, the canned formula is only going to be relevant around a given value of L/D (not a very favourable one, I would add).

Because power requirements always increase faster than speed, we could naively offer that slower must be better. In fact it is not, because the engine has a fixed fuel consumption just to "run itself" for a start and there is a point where slow speed becomes more wasteful. Low load makes engines less efficient.

Same about the propeller, its efficiency at low thrust is poor: too much torque expended to overcome friction over the blades without producing enough useful work. This is also why a larger propeller is not automatically better for cruising - well on the contrary. It needs enough pitch to get good efficiency at design cruising speed and the ability to slip instead of overloading closer to the top and this creates an optimum combination of diameter and pitch.

Lighter pure displacement boats are in fact very different in many ways and they need to be analysed specifically.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:40 AM   #2858
Moderator Emeritus

Big Tollycraft

One from Aust, for the Tollycraft enthusiasts. Used Tollycraft 74 for Sale | Boats For Sale | Yachthub
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:14 AM   #2859
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
One from Aust, for the Tollycraft enthusiasts. Used Tollycraft 74 for Sale | Boats For Sale | Yachthub
Very nice BIG Tolly!! Thanks for link. - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:24 AM   #2860
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Banshee;

PS4408 - Banshee Details - Pacific Boat Brokers Inc.

http://thebanshee.ca
Attached Images