Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ben,
Search "atkin boat plans" click on "boats" and find the most popular today "Rescue Minor" or a better boat "everhope". And there are others. Rescue Minor is probably the one you're trying to remember.

Murray,
No pics of the bottom. Can't see if it's flat or V. I'd guess flat as evidenced by the stem. Like the cabin configuration and L to B ratio.

Ben,
Search "atkin boat plans" click on "boats" and find the most popular today "Rescue Minor" or a better boat "everhope". And there are others. Rescue Minor is probably the one you're trying to remember.

Murray,
No pics of the bottom. Can't see if it's flat or V. I'd guess flat as evidenced by the stem. Like the cabin configuration and L to B ratio.

I have, or had, the rescue minor plans. It's a nice little boat. Many years ago, I bought the plans from a 3rd party that was illegally selling them. I didn't have the knowledge that I have now, or I wouldn't have bought them.

No one has posted pics of Everhope. Atkin & Co. - Everhope

Rescue Minor. Atkin & Co. - Rescue Minor

SeaIslandRM-09.jpg

Antiquity-07.jpg

Antiquity-13.jpg

Seabright Rescue Minor running in less than 6 inches of water at speed. That's the reason I like this hull design. there is/was a thread about this boat on the wooden boat forums.
https://youtu.be/C_D-LilJnMo

This little honey of a Rescue Minor speaks to me.

Robb White, Boatbuilder, Thomasville, Georgia

I call it a Barel Back Rescue Minor.
Robb White said:
In case you have never read about the boat, I’ll give you the specs: It is twenty feet long and 76” wide. It is strip built out of tulip poplar and is powered by a three cylinder Kubota Diesel tractor engine rated at 20 hp. It will run 20 knots in six inches of water and gets about 28.6 nautical miles per gallon of Diesel fuel running at its most economical speed of 10.5 knots. It is not for sale and I don’t ever intend to build another one… certainly not for anybody else but me, but the plans for the unbastardized plywood version are available from: www.atkinboatplans.com.

rescue.minor.800.shallow.c.jpg

rescue.minor.800.shallow.g.jpg

I wonder how they back w the prop not completely submerged? Going fwd I'm sure the cav is temporary but in reverse it may be a constant. Also wonder about the prop walk.

Now there's a name for a boat .... "unbastardized".

I have that Wooden Boat mag somewhere. Classy curves but perhaps the standard Rescue Minor will give the same performance.

Last edited:
I wonder how they back w the prop not completely submerged? Going fwd I'm sure the cav is temporary but in reverse it may be a constant. Also wonder about the prop walk.

I would think that prop walk would be negated by the shape of the rear tunnel kind of like multiple skegs seems to lessen prop walk. I'm not sure about reversing and cavitation. Maybe the shape builds the water in around the prop as it moves back. Just a guess on that.

From the Rescue Minor page at Atkins...

"It will be noticed that the shaft angle is very nearly parallel to the water line; but that the center of the shaft is splayed to port about 5 inches at the motor flywheel. This splaying does several things; not least of which is to correct the side thrust of the righthand turning propeller, and therefore contributing not a little to the speed of the boat. The advantage of this splay will be felt also when the boat is backed."

Thanks dimmer,
I've seen the angled shaft in other Atkin designs too. I'm sure the shaft angle is optimized for straight line cruising at mid throttle.
I think these boats probably do have quite a bit of prop walk in reverse. Most of the upper arc of the ptopeller is out of the water and not likely to fill the prop cavity going backwards. A prop that backs very well like a michigan MP propeller halving symmetrical blades probably would help. Skewed props may be hard to handle. But of course that's fly stuff compared to what the boat CAN do.
Thanks for the heads up.

1498315711092.jpg
22 ft Devlin mini tug, built in Portsmouth, Va. now running sightseeing charters on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.

Turner,
That's almost a dupe of a cutesy little Ranger boat.
At this point in my boating life I can relate to the type.
Far as I know there's only two now.
I'd like an OB version though.

View attachment 66122
22 ft Devlin mini tug, built in Portsmouth, Va. now running sightseeing charters on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.

I love the Devlin tug designs.:)

I was thinking of building the smaller 18' Dipper tug which is a more manageable 7' wide which makes better sense on the narrow European roads.

Turner,
That's almost a dupe of a cutesy little Ranger boat.
At this point in my boating life I can relate to the type.
Far as I know there's only two now.
I'd like an OB version though.
It is an outboard, has a 25hp Suzuki, lowest maintenance boat we've ever owned even though it's a wood boat, fiberglassed and epoxied inside and out.1498317752711.jpg1498317787925.jpg1498317824828.jpg

Here's one we saw in Beziers last Spring...

Attachments

• IMG_1194.jpg
    IMG_1194.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 143
Mr RTF indeed it is a Florida Bay Coaster, not exactly sure but somewhere like 50 feeter. I never been on one but looks really nice. Looking inside it is like a house! And when I wrote looks like coming from a cartoon I mean really cute :)

L.

I'm sitting literally with the owner right now, it's a Florida Bay Coaster designed by Jay Benford who resides in Maryland. It's 53 feet and her name is Venture On. Now back to my dental treatment......arghhhhh

Passed this interesting (converted?) trawler on the Princess Royal Channel, Northern BC the other day...

Attachments

• Trawler Conversion.jpg
    Trawler Conversion.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 220
dvd,
Isn't that the illusive Sinbad?
The stern closed in like that and the nearly plumb stem lead me to make the connection. I'm looking at the drawing of Sinbad in Voyaging Under Power. I see a white spot that could be the deck entryway to the folks'le as shown in the drawing. The house and aft cabin seemed shoved a bit aft but still the same basic configuration.

So if I'm right .. an extremely interesting boat indeed.

Last edited:
No mistaking that background scenery, haven't been up the Inside for some years. Nice boat and picture.

Willy,

Lots of similarities to Sinbad, although the pilot house looks pretty tall and perhaps a little further aft? Don't know...

Eric -

The more I think about it, didn't Benford do some designs long ago for some small coastal freighters? This looks more like one of them, with the open deck space between the pilothouse & the foc'scle with a freight mast forward?

dvd

Back
Top Bottom