Old 12-28-2015, 11:08 PM   #2801
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by West View Post
The photoshop re due is a lot more shippy and better looking.
Sorry for removing that Photoshoped version, West. Copyright you know. Duh!

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:12 PM   #2802

City: Vancouver BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Sorry for removing that Photoshoped version, West. After accessing the sight myself I see the original photo had a copyright message below. Duh!
You can still post a "link" to the photo, or even the photo itself as long as you state it's origin/author.

West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:50 PM   #2803
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Timeless by design

Perhaps class at a bit higher setting than we lowly trawler folks, yet, the carry over by some submissions to this thread is recorded. As I view this yacht visions of the Pilgrim, or Lord Nelson come to mind as new builds of classic design. Submitted for the enjoyment of all.

Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:27 PM   #2804
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Oh Oh... Al - You may have raised the Big Bad "anchor-debate" Devil, once again!!

Did you see the old-world-design twins on nose of that beautiful boat??

Looked pretty small to me... maybe they don't anchor and the twins are just for show. Or, do they both drop simultaneously for double the action... that could get confusing and hairy with changing wind or currents.

Happy Boat-Review Daze! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:03 PM   #2805
Al
Guru

My bad Art, Never gave it a thought. If I could photoshop, the changes would and will now that the subject YOU brought up resonates among the 'Hookers" about. Damn!!

Al-Ketchikan
Old 12-30-2015, 11:39 PM   #2806
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
My bad Art, Never gave it a thought. If I could photoshop, the changes would and will now that the subject YOU brought up resonates among the 'Hookers" about. Damn!!

Al-Ketchikan
OK, Al! I'll cop to it...

Twas me simply a-stirren the flukes and shaft of anchor devilry... just ta see what we might dredge up fer anchor debate bottom feeders! - LOL

Old 12-30-2015, 11:43 PM   #2807
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
I think the anchors took a lot of water in what I regard as fairly smooth water. I also wonder how long that beautifully set table would remain that way.

If you look at 1:16-1:19 of the video, there is what appears to be a stack change? What is that doing? It exposes some type of bracket facing astern. Any eagle eye spotters see what it is doing and why?

thx.
Stu
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:38 PM   #2808

City: Fort Mcmurray
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
If you look at 1:16-1:19 of the video, there is what appears to be a stack change? What is that doing? It exposes some type of bracket facing astern. Any eagle eye spotters see what it is doing and why?

thx.
Stu
I saw an article about her being built and design. That is a crane hidden in the stack, the back also opens for the boom to lift. An expensive bit of camouflage for modern equipment on a retro design.
twitntrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:59 PM   #2809

City: Fort Mcmurray

I can't figure out how too make pic show. The stack opens for a hidden crane. A modern touch on a retro design.
twitntrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 03:28 PM   #2810
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post

thx.
Stu
The hydraulic dinghy crane is hidden in the stack. A very odd video in that they really don't show the full exterior except with the sun in your eyes.....what are they hiding?
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:22 AM   #2811
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
1972 Rawson

Came across this 41' Ed Monk, Sr North American built trawler on YW today. Being an East Coast guy, I had never heard of Rawson before. It is powered by twin Cat 3150 V-8s which I am also unfamiliar with. Nice to see that not all of these Double Cabin designs are Taiwanese Tubs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rawson.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	47849  
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:17 AM   #2812
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Came across this 41' Ed Monk, Sr North American built trawler on YW today. Being an East Coast guy, I had never heard of Rawson before. It is powered by twin Cat 3150 V-8s which I am also unfamiliar with. Nice to see that not all of these Double Cabin designs are Taiwanese Tubs.

Ed Monk Sr. had a very recognizable (above water-line) design platform in most boats he put pencil and paper to. He designed displacement, semi displacement, and planning hull-bottoms Nearly all Tollycraft boat hulls and much of their superstructures were for decades primarily designed by Ed Sr.; in conjunction with Robert Merland Tollefson (Mr. Tolly). After Ed Sr. passed... Ed Jr. carried on.

Photo you post looks very much like a Tolly. Tollycraft were strictly U.S.A. manufactured in Washington state. Over 6,500 were produced before Tollycraft manufacturing closed in mid 1990's. There are still thousands on the waters. Tollycraft boats were built very well . There is a marine yard in Washington trying to resurrect the production of Tollycraft boats. They have the molds and are attempting to provide electric powered Tolly's in the mid-size dimension that can have range and speed.

Many lengths of the older Tolly models had the double cabin design you mention... Mr. Tolly termed them "tri cabins" due to their three distinctly separate 3-room locations (tri cabin made for good marketing hype too - I imagine!). Our Tolly is the 1977 34' tri cabin model. More room than you can believe both inside and out, comfortable on all levels. Surprising low center of gravity and fine bow entry having flared prow makes it sea kindly. With twin Mercruisers able to turn out 510 total hp... as well as hard chine, skinny 2'10" draft and 11 degree dead rise bottom design our relatively fast Tolly (23 knots WOT / 17 knot cruise) can scoot when desired/needed; she's also quite economical at below hull speed for leisurely cruising. Additionally, The 34' wll (36' loa) makes for a very maneuverable, livable, and fully self contained boat that is economical to own, use, and store.

After decades around the water... I've never found better production boats than Tollycraft. Ed Monk Sr. was a master designer of boats.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:49 AM   #2813

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Ron Rawson started building fiberglass boats in 1959. He build many types of work boats and cruisers. He built about 290 30 ft sail boats. We owned a 32 ft cruiser and the hull was solid glass, the thickest I have ever seen. It has often been said that you could drop the 30 ft sail boat off the space needle and it would be fine. He had a special relationship with the commercial fishing fleet in Alaska and they loved his boats.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:19 PM   #2814

City: SanFran
And now for something completely different... the boat the uses less fuel, the faster it goes (above 20 knots)... sort of redefines "fast trawler" doesn't it :-).

MOre info at links below:

Pressure Drop - Advance Aerodynamic Vessel Makes A Splash

Boat web site:

EXPERIMENTAL APPROACH - Advanced Aerodynamic Vessels
LRC58Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:24 PM   #2815

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
That's one helluva cool Trawler Cat!
Old 01-05-2016, 09:52 PM   #2816
Art
Guru

Soooo what is predicted nmpg and at what speeds. I reviewed pretty well and saw no mileage stats... predicted or otherwise.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:58 PM   #2817
Veteran Member

City: Austin
Vessel Name: S/V Frimi
Vessel Model: West Wight Potter
High speed live aboard trawler, cost 15M on sale for 180K

http://www.gizmag.com/lockheed-marti...lice-swathboat

Looks like a deal to me, just wonder about fuel consumption, there is plenty of room top sides.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:08 PM   #2818

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
The link you provided did not work... Here's one that should work:

Lockheed Martin-designed experimental naval vessel up for sale
Old 01-06-2016, 07:01 PM   #2819

City: Waiheke Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Wet .... who cares!
I'd forgive that boat for worse than a wet windshield.
Perfect replacement for my old Willard. I've looked at a lot of other boats w an eye toward finding them a better boat than the W30. All have come down as great boats but ...... . No "but" that I can see on this one TAD. Thanks for posting.
The footage originally came from the owner a few years ago, some might find it interesting. Short steep seas, tidal area, 40 knots or so.
Attached Files
Seaspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:24 PM   #2820
Al
Guru

The video reflect the often made comment by myself when referencing traveling up or down Clarence Strait in our 27 foot pocket cruiser. I enter Clarence Strait at 0400 for a five hour run to avoid this level of seas. By 1100 the straits reflect the video in the any given day.
Thanks for posting

Al-Ketchikan