Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Still - I wouldn't be buying the Tronheim 40. That is one ugly boat! The 30 is a little better looking. I'm open to new technology, but still a traditionalist when it comes to looks.

It reminds me of an Azimut Magellano, especially the 30'

Trondheim 40'

Steel hull, Class A-Ocean, Ice Class B, 2500 nautical mile range, 925 gallons fuel, electric hybrid, 2 Torqeedo Deep Blue motors for 160hp.

Interesting to see if it'll ever 'get off the ground'. As of January this year a shipyard in the Netherlands has supposedly been contracted for the first to be built.

Trondheim Trawlers

30 footer proposed; Trondheim Trawlers

Interesting looking 40'er. Stats mention 2500 miles on 925 gallons... which = 2.7 nmpg. Didn't read 10% reserve? Also don't recall seeing speed of travel. Maybe I'm incorrect... but isn't 2.7 nmpg not as nearly efficient as other boats at below hull speed and in same size/weight category?

Heck... our 1977 twin screw Tolly gets just about 2.5 nmpg at below hull speed and on one engine only going well below hull speed she approaches 3 nmpg.

Trondheim Trawlers

I've never come across these type of Dutch ' semi- displacement' medium-vee aluminium boats......amazing 20kts on twin cat 3208 (435hp) @ 31 tons!

Pienkro.jpg

pzivvrW.jpg

Specs
Builder: Van Toledo
Designer: Hoek Design
Flag of Registry: Netherlands

Dimensions
LOA: 18.45 m
Beam: 4.90 m
LWL: 15.20 m
Minimum Draft: 1.05 m
Maximum Draft: 1.05 m
Displacement: 31000 kgs
Bridge Clearance: 4.30 m

Engines
Total Power: 870 HP

Engine 1:
Engine Brand: Caterpilar
Year Built: 2003
Engine Model: 3208
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 600
Engine Power: 435 HP
Engine 2:
Engine Brand: Caterpilar
Year Built: 2003
Engine Model: 3208
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 600
Engine Power: 435 HP

Maximum Speed: 20 knots

Last edited:
Van der valk continental 16mtr version gets 17kts.....

LOA (m) 16,00
LWL (m) 14,99
Beam (m) 4,95
Draft (m) 1,40
Air draft (m) 6,00
Headroom (m) 2,10
Year built 2008
Builder Wim van der Valk
Country The Netherlands
Designer Wim van der Valk
Displacement (t) 29
CE norm B
Hull material aluminium

MACHINERY
No of engines 2
Make Volvo
Type D6-435 EVC-EC
HP 435,00
kW 319,73
Fuel diesel
Year installed 2008
Maximum speed (kn) 17
Cruising speed (kn) 9.00
Engine hours bb 583 en sb 578

ebg5Gfr.jpg

Last edited:
One caught by my beloved wife during a trip in Chicago last week. I love these boat, please owners don't take it wrong but positive, but they look like boats from cartoons :D

20170503_104716.jpg

Greetings,
Mr. L_t. That's a Florida Bay Coaster if I remember correctly...I was on a smaller one once and from what I recall, VERY nice.

We were guests for lunch on one years ago, it was very nice, like being in a house. I understand they are good coastal cruisers too.

Greetings,
Mr. L_t. That's a Florida Bay Coaster if I remember correctly...I was on a smaller one once and from what I recall, VERY nice.

Mr RTF indeed it is a Florida Bay Coaster, not exactly sure but somewhere like 50 feeter. I never been on one but looks really nice. Looking inside it is like a house! And when I wrote looks like coming from a cartoon I mean really cute :)

L.

One of my favorite rigs . I want to get out there someday and check them all out .

Attachments

• IMG_2924.JPG
    IMG_2924.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 207
Interesting trawler I saw a while back while sailing around the California Channel Islands
IMzIhCh.jpg

Last edited:
Does this barge make my tug look small? :rolleyes:

20170520_113907.jpg

Ted

Why does an interesting boat need to be so big?

But topsail that boat actually is a bit interesting. And Larry re that boat you posted what's so interesting about it? Looks like it's very light for the type but other than that ... and the old anchors .... being fat is the interesting part. Like the guy couldn't afford much moorage so he made it fat .. and short.

But just seeing pics of boats is grand. And trawlers are getting close to cookie cutter boats but then there's a Florida Coaster .. and other really interesting boats. I'm sure glad we have 4000 pics of interesting boats. Hard to find a boat not interesting.

Last edited:
Why does an interesting boat need to be so big?
And Larry re that boat you posted what's so interesting about it? .

Maybe you're right. I just thought at only 45 ft. and a catamaran-like 22 ft. beam was pretty amazing for a recreational trawler. I suppose I've always found "big" to be interesting, though when I think about it, no more interesting than any other unusual combo thrown together.

Lighten up Eric, just because its not interesting to you, doesn't mean its not to others. I think the Apple island IS interesting...and I've seen some of the others built on that hull.

Greetings,
Re: Apple Island boat. I happen to know the builder. His business specialized in the building and refurbishing of commercial fishing vessels. He was approached by the first buyer to build a recreational vessel based on a proven commercial design. As I recall, in conversation with Wade Goulden (owner of Apple Island), interior finish was chosen by the original buyer and was secondary to the ability to cruise for distance in less than ideal sea conditions. Wade was a commercial fisherman for 25+ years and I expect he DID have some appreciation for the design, beam aside.

HaHa Sailor of Fortune the boats in you're avatar look similar to the Apple. And if I lightened up I'd sound like a politician.

Many commercial boats should NOT be emulated. Some evolve into bad design as a result of a law. Like the Bristol Bay boats in Alaska that are/were limited to 30'. Serious gross atrocities resulted. Don't assume that because fishermen or commercial guys do or use this or that it's golden. Consider that fishermen use anchors that we pleasure boaters consider poor or worse.

... Consider that fishermen use anchors that we pleasure boaters consider poor or worse.

Little doubt fishermen consider cost versus benefit.

Last edited:
Maybe you're right. I just thought at only 45 ft. and a catamaran-like 22 ft. beam was pretty amazing for a recreational trawler. I suppose I've always found "big" to be interesting, though when I think about it, no more interesting than any other unusual combo thrown together.

Professor Eric! Lesson in life!!

I've gleaned a few from him too. Smart fellow that teacher, Eric

Larry, you and I are good students!

Teach on Eric... Teach ON!!! :thumb:

This is the first one of these I've ever seen for sale.
Beam is 15 ft and no fly bridge.

Attachments

• IMG_2953.jpg
    IMG_2953.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
HaHa Sailor of Fortune the boats in you're avatar look similar to the Apple. And if I lightened up I'd sound like a politician.

Many commercial boats should NOT be emulated. Some evolve into bad design as a result of a law. Like the Bristol Bay boats in Alaska that are/were limited to 30'. Serious gross atrocities resulted. Don't assume that because fishermen or commercial guys do or use this or that it's golden. Consider that fishermen use anchors that we pleasure boaters consider poor or worse.

I find this boat interesting because of the extreme LOA/Beam. Doesn't mean I like or agree/disagree with it. I wouldn't want that beam, but I do find it interesting. I certainly was not making a case for, or against it or other commercial boats. I tend to like commercial workboats and conversions but don't think all are worthy .

I'm kind of curious why they switched to an outboard, and why they felt the need to add 50% more horsepower. I suppose its probably still economical at 8-10 knots.... it just seems like a strange direction .....is a 300hp outboard less expensive than a 200hp diesel inboard ? ...or if it was about saving money I'd think an inboard gasser would have been cheaper....I just don't get it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom