Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pilou, wonderful pics,
I love the one w the flag and steam or fog out the window. The composition and depth attention shows in every picture was considered carefully.

Does the Simplon have a rudder or does she use the paddlewheels?

Last edited:
Pilou, wonderful pics,
I love the one w the flag and steam or fog out the window. The composition and depth attention shows in every picture was considered carefully.

Does the Simplon have a rudder or does she use the paddlewheels?

Thanks Eric, the Simplon has a rudder, sorry no pic of the helm, I forgot about that. But I made a video in the Engine Room, just posted it now on YouTube for easier view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj-f-P9m_HY&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

• 00U0U_iwm0p8tNzrY_600x450[1].jpg
    00U0U_iwm0p8tNzrY_600x450[1].jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 01515_kbTdCWpMdOJ_600x450[1].jpg
    01515_kbTdCWpMdOJ_600x450[1].jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 00M0M_cPuFOsFXvPD_600x450[1].jpg
    00M0M_cPuFOsFXvPD_600x450[1].jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 92
Fascinating video of the steam engine. Amazingly beautiful machine, made when craftsmanship mattered.

I heard Barbra Eden.

can-stock-photo_csp8530008.jpg

I don't care what anyone says, she is still a beautiful woman.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Yes the Simplon's engine is magnificent. I figured the oiler cups would have the rev's down very low. Great idea Pilou to do a video. Thanks.

The Kimperly Anne was at one of the recent rendezvous at Anacortes. See attached pic.
I have a vague recollection the KA was a conversion. Commercial boat to pleasure.

I knew about the Kimberly Anne but never ever heard or seen anything about the wood pilot house boat. Did'nt know Willard had built wood boats either. If she were mine I'd raise the PH. And one may get lots more engine room space. Looks like a great boat but there must be "issues" w the hull I'm guessing from the text. And the one GPH is very doubtful or not to be believed at all.

Here's another squareish sterned Willard. Bottom picture.

Attachments

• DSCF1009 copy 3.jpg
    DSCF1009 copy 3.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0050.jpg
    IMG_0050.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Superb. I once spent the day on the Goethe, last paddle-steamer on the Rhine. One of my best-ever experiences.

Yes the Simplon's engine is magnificent. I figured the oiler cups would have the rev's down very low. Great idea Pilou to do a video. Thanks.

The Kimperly Anne was at one of the recent rendezvous at Anacortes. See attached pic.
I have a vague recollection the KA was a conversion. Commercial boat to pleasure.

I knew about the Kimberly Anne but never ever heard or seen anything about the wood pilot house boat. Did'nt know Willard had built wood boats either. If she were mine I'd raise the PH. And one may get lots more engine room space. Looks like a great boat but there must be "issues" w the hull I'm guessing from the text. And the one GPH is very doubtful or not to be believed at all.

Here's another squareish sterned Willard. Bottom picture.

Eric,
Thanks for posting a picture of a nice Willard.

"Nereid is a 47' Willard Dover pilothouse cruiser, built in 1966 in Costa Mesa, California".

Please check out the following website of Willard Motor Vessel Neireid made by Neireid's owners.

MV Nereid Willard Dover Pilothouse Trawler

Eric,
Thanks for posting a picture of a nice Willard.

"Nereid is a 47' Willard Dover pilothouse cruiser, built in 1966 in Costa Mesa, California".

Please check out the following website of Willard Motor Vessel Neireid made by Neireid's owners.

MV Nereid Willard Dover Pilothouse Trawler

Pilou - TY for link. :thumb: Nereid is a Really nice Willard boat with nice name. :D

Eric - A Willard with flying bridge... OMG!! :whistling:

Matthews and Trumpy made great boats. There was an 84' Trumpy at a marina on Middle River years ago - I believe it was one of the largest Trumpys made. Actually looked at a Matthews 42 a year ago but it got away from me.

mike

Island dreamer,
All I remember from Mathews was big/long/salons/cabins and long foredecks.

Pilou,
FB = Progress ????

Art says ... " A Willard with flying bridge. OMG."
Even my Willard had a FB before some nice PO took it off for me.
What FB are you refering to .... oh I see. It's like a Eagle. I saw it in the kink text and looked at the pic. The only type of FB that I like .. w some exceptions. ]

Last edited:
Island dreamer,

Pilou,
FB = Progress ????

What FB are you refering to .... oh I see. It's like a Eagle. I saw it in the kink text and looked at the pic. The only type of FB that I like .. w some exceptions. ]

Your Willard had FB??... guess you did allude to that some time ago on a post. :D

Island dreamer,

Pilou,
FB = Progress ????

Eric,
That is a "bridge deck" control station, NOT a FB. Big difference!

Ted

Ted,
Oh yes and in a big way.
I did'nt know it actually had a name. I do remember they had them on quit a few boats in the early 50's.
Actually Willard had both offered in the 30' line-up. The Horizon had the bridge deck station and the Nomad had a fairly normal FB. That is if one can fly at 6 knots.

Matthews and Trumpy made great boats. There was an 84' Trumpy at a marina on Middle River years ago - I believe it was one of the largest Trumpys made. Actually looked at a Matthews 42 a year ago but it got away from me.

mike

Matthews 42', nice boat.

Matthews 42', nice boat.

Back when, in NY and LI as a youngster - I spent much time aboard Matthews boats of same approximate size/design [bigger and smaller ones too] They are great boats! Dad purchased a very similar design raised deck, 38' sport fisher. A well designed and super well built one-off; with comfortable flying bridge. It was originally built for and by the Brooklyn Navy Yard's pilot-boat ME designer. When we got her she'd been somewhat trashed by an interim owner. Dad and I restored her with loving care. Truly a great pleasure boat! Those pretty woodies require much attention to stay maintained. :facepalm: :D :thumb:

I think Ted's right Art.
What makes it different is the fact that the floor for the bridgedeck is lower than the pilothouse roof. So the "bridgedeck control center" as Ted calls it almost disapears.

But now that I think more about it the "bridge deck" has got to be the salon floor where the lower helm is. That's the bridge. The helm is central to the bridge. Perhaps it' the "bridgedeck upper helm" ..... or perhaps "it" dos'nt even hav a name.

More thoughts please ....

Pilou, thanks for the video of that great engine. What a piece of art.

Thanks also for the video of the Mathews. Back in the mid-60's I spent two weeks on a Mathews 34 (IIRC) with a friend and his parents. We cruised up the east side of Michigan, crossed over to the North Channel and toured there and Georgian Bay. What a wonderful trip for a couple of kids just out of high school.

Back when, in NY and LI as a youngster - I spent much time aboard Matthews boats of same approximate size/design [bigger and smaller ones too] They are great boats! Dad purchased a very similar design raised deck, 38' sport fisher. A well designed and super well built one-off; with comfortable flying bridge. It was originally built for and by the Brooklyn Navy Yard's pilot-boat ME designer. When we got her she'd been somewhat trashed by an interim owner. Dad and I restored her with loving care. Truly a great pleasure boat! Those pretty woodies require much attention to stay maintained. :facepalm: :D :thumb:

Thank you Art for sharing a great story, I'm sure it was such a precious time for you and your Dad, to make this project happen both together, I trust very good memories as well. Moreover, boats have a soul...

Mike, you are most welcome, glad you enjoyed.
I must confess that I took this video (Iphone) while I was very close to the steam engine, too close, then.... I got sprayed with the engine oil...:D

What a fun and great experience you had abord your friend's Matthews boat !
Always nice to read from you.

I think Ted's right Art.
What makes it different is the fact that the floor for the bridgedeck is lower than the pilothouse roof. So the "bridgedeck control center" as Ted calls it almost disapears.

But now that I think more about it the "bridge deck" has got to be the salon floor where the lower helm is. That's the bridge. The helm is central to the bridge. Perhaps it' the "bridgedeck upper helm" ..... or perhaps "it" dos'nt even hav a name.

More thoughts please ....

I was wondering why in the boat's photos that it seemed awfully low profile for a fly bridge??!!

Thank you Art for sharing a great story, I'm sure it was such a precious time for you and your Dad, to make this project happen both together, I trust very good memories as well. Moreover, boats have a soul...

:thumb: !!!

CB 357

Rumor has it that this can be had for 50% of the asking price.
All welded aluminum, 8/92DDs 2k gen.
Miss Micki says I already have too many projects

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom