Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Attachments

• presen10.jpg
    presen10.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 110
Yes pretty tug, also Glen design one.
Difficult to find in Europe!

Hi, if I'm not mistaken that's the Michael Kasten designed 32ft-Tugyacht "Terrier".
A few years ago my family was looking to have one built. There is or was a boatyard in Turkey that built "Terriers" to CE-B-norm.
As I recall the family was reporting that the boat was nicely built, but it felt smaller than the 30ft-Dutch-steelcruiser we were using before.
Sorry for my poor English, cheers, Georg.

PS: I have a PDF of the Turkish Terrier 32. Please let me know if you're interested.

Looks like 50 or shrimpers out of Delchambre. Turn up the fuel control and blower. Giterdone.

My favorite boat in the 34-40' range is this Tad Roberts design Yellow Cedar 38'

IMG_3401.JPG

Followed closely by Marks Buehler designed Carquinez Coot

IMG_2025.JPG

One of my faves...

Attachments

• IMG_0640.jpg
    IMG_0640.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 137
My favorite boat in the 34-40' range is this Tad Roberts design Yellow Cedar 38'

View attachment 59961

Followed closely by Marks Buehler designed Carquinez Coot

View attachment 59962

Amazing Craig that you would choose two boats so different. Both boats are FD to be sure but at the more or less extreme ends of the speed range.
I love the Yellow Cedar except for the fwd visability. As Mark likes to say it's a "slicer". But a pusher like Marks boat is wonderful in many ways that the YC can't even dream about. Marks boat however takes about 4 times as much power to cruise.

True points Eric but they both have extremely "livable" layouts for a couple IMO. As all boats are sacrifices these two boats contain the fewest by our wishlist. The YC sacrifices some forward visibility and foredeck access. The Coot sacrifices any semblance of a functional aft cockpit and a complete dearth of any covered outdoor areas.

Both boats are cavernous in accommodations and facilities. Both boats lend themselves to being "12 volt" boats that could live well on the hook for days without generator with just a couple solar panels.

On first blush they are quite different but both check almost all of "our" must have features.

That's your tug? If so, that's a really nice, no nonsense looking boat. Paravanes?

Small flat-bottomed and rounded houseboat, replica hull from Tjalk: the "Jolly Dutchman", for canal cruising.
Only 9 built, and a few for hiring.

9.2x2.55x0.75m and some up to 4.5T including 1.6T ballast from 4x400 liters ! (for when at sea or windy/choppy rivers; but not a hull for sea).
300 liters diesel/300 liters water/300 liters black water.
Trailerable.

Sail-drive diesel (Lombardini around 25/35 hp) engine (fitted right at the stern inside hull, between guest-beds), with skeg+shoe protection for the propellor.
(sail-drive: protruding aluminium kept in water and joint to controle not to let water-ingress in front of propellor, mixing with oil...->not that heavy-duty: what's your advice?)

There is a 2 minutes video in Faceb..k at "Schnelle Boote und Yachten" (title: "Jolly Dutchman").

What do you think about this design?
(don't know how to post picture showing hull under water-level)

Yacht charter:
http://www.yachtcharter-roemer.de/jolly.htm

This one for sale (may be ex-hiring):
http://marinebrokers.eu/en/boten/386-Jolly-Dutchman-920

Builder's info:
speedcraft-ltd.com - volksyacht - jolly dutchman - speedcraft

Last edited:
Small flat-bottomed and rounded houseboat, replica hull from Tjalk: the "Jolly Dutchman", for canal cruising.

9.2x2.55x0.75m and some up to 4.5T including 1.6T ballast from 4x400 liters ! (for when at sea or windy/choppy rivers; but not a hull for sea).
300 liters diesel/300 liters water/300 liters black water.
Trailerable.

Sail-drive diesel (Lombardini around 25/35 hp) engine fitted right at the stern, with skeg+shoe protection for the propellor. (sail drive: not heavy duty at all: what do you think?)

There is a 2 minutes video in Faceb..k at "Schnelle Boote und Yachten" (title: "Jolly Dutchman").

This one for sale (may be ex-hiring):
Jolly Dutchman 920

Builder's info:
speedcraft-ltd.com - volksyacht - jolly dutchman - speedcraft

Nice boat for the Frisian channels and similar waterways. I would prefer an open-cockpit-design.
I can't imagine this design to be successful on the US-market.

Edit: The "specs" seem to be a bit over the place - the one at the broker is advertised as made from steel and with CE-B-norm-certificate.

Depending on the intended use of the neat Jolly Dutchman the Sail-Drive might be an issue or not.

Last edited:
Nice boat for the Frisian channels and similar waterways. I would prefer an open-cockpit-design.
I can't imagine this design to be successful on the US-market.

Edit: The "specs" seem to be a bit over the place - the one at the broker is advertised as made from steel and with CE-B-norm-certificate.

Depending on the intended use of the neat Jolly Dutchman the Sail-Drive might be an issue or not.

Thanks for your advice, GeorgS !
Sail-Drive an issue depending on the intended use: why? fresh water versus salty?

Windage/low draft + some narrow hull + flat bottom = may be a lot of rolling !

Picture showing under water-line profile is somewhere (about just the one before the last 10 pics) in this advert about another one for sale:
https://www.motorboot.com/motorboot-kopen/108545/particuliere-verkoper/platbodem-kramerhock-/

platbodem-kramerhock-
In this boat, seller tells better to fill 1.6T water lest in 4 tanks when at sea or windy, so heavier boat with a little more hull deep in water.
In a squall, with such under water profile hull and windage, could this lest help against drifting ?

platbodem-kramerhock-

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice, GeorgS !
Sail-Drive an issue depending on the intended use: what do you mean? fresh water versus salty?

Windage + some narrow hull + flat bottom = may be a lot of rolling?

Picture showing under water-line profile is somewhere (among the last pics) in this advert about another one for sale:
https://www.motorboot.com/motorboot-kopen/108545/particuliere-verkoper/platbodem-kramerhock-/
platbodem-kramerhock-

platbodem-kramerhock-

Hi, my personal opinion (based on just the images and specs) is that the Jolly Dutchman could make a great cruiser for inland waterways (channels like in the Netherlands) and also for short trips along the coast in good weather. Every boat in this size will roll and this one will be no exception. I remember crossing a very shallow Frisian lake onboard of a narrowboat and it rolled a lot in the short but not overly high seas (very strong wind on the beam).
Good stowing-practice, maybe replacing catches and latches on the cabinetry if necessary, careful planning of the trips and the Jolly Dutchman's owner might have a fantastic inland- and coastwise journey.
Sometimes unpleasent boat-movements (rolling but pitching too) can be reduced by tacking like a sail-boat - steering a zig-zag-course.
My personal experience is limited to coastwise-cruising with Dutch built steel-cruisers between 9 and 11 metres, mostly on the Baltic Sea, so please take the words above with a grain of salt.
Kind regards and please excuse my poor English, Georg.

Edit: Sorry, the question regarding the ballasting-tanks was a bit late. To be honest - I know absolutely nothing about water ballast.
With coastal-cruisers I would prefer to be in the harbour in a real storm.
"Regular short gusts" that might scare sailers don't effect motorboats that much, except when doing docking-maneuvers ;-)

Last edited:
Sure looks like someone we know.:)
"Bert Large" runs "The Large Restaurant" in "Port Wenn". (A detective novel set in OZ features a Vietnamese restaurant, eponymously named after its owner "Soon Phatt".)
Cornwall is beautiful, rugged coastline, hilly narrow street villages with protected harbors, lots of boats to see,and a good Cornish pastie is a joy.

300 liters diesel/300 liters water/300 liters black
We did a 10-day cruise on a crewed 80-foot barge some years ago and saw many charmless "penichettes" (bumper boats as our captain sneered), but I really like this little "cutie" and would seriously consider such a charter.

Last edited:
North Baltic Sea.

Terve! I like the Botnia Targas a lot - had a 32 w. a VolvoPenta D6 370 a few years ago. Great boat wich I used to commute from Stockholm to Gotland (130 NM) in - no thruster BUT... an extra fridge (beer).

Last edited:
BruceK - been years - thanks for reminding me of the delectable Cornish pastie! I'm sure some are better than others, but like a couple of other things, the worst I ever had was great. Now I'm hungry.

I've never seen a Cornish pastie on a menu in the US. Here in New Orleans, I can get goat paya, hoy sum six different ways, and pannekaken - but nobody's heard of a pastie. Shame. Maybe time for a Cornish food truck?

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Wow look at that anchor winch right in front of the PH windows.
And my favorite engine (Isuzu by Klassen). 120hp and 45 tons = 2.66 hp per ton. All those informative pics but not one of the hull and no speeds mentioned. Less than 3hp per ton is about as low as one gets. My Willard 30 has 5hp per ton. Makes Willy look overpowered.

Edit;
This is actually an interesting boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom