Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tug boats ...:)

6tGvViD.jpg
Yes pretty tug, also Glen design one.
Difficult to find in Europe!

Last edited:
Now that's a real trawler! Love it.
Propper hull w a really slack stern.
Very low windage.
Straight prop shaft.
Great visability.

Thank you IRENE!

View attachment 58921

This was spotted in Key West. [emoji23]

I have one of those! It is setup for a kayak by one of my crazy relatives.

True story: he carved a couple of props out from laminated veneers, got it right on the 2nd try. Thing moves out on a kayak, I could not keep up pulling hard on my 16' sliding seat rowboat.

He had contacts in the oil industry from his days at EPA in Alaska. Called somebody, asked for sponsorship. Texaco sent him $5.00 and a Texaco hat.
He took off from Portland with his weedeater-powered Klepper kayak. 96 miles later he is in Astoria.

After he got back home, he sent a letter to Texaco, thanking him for the sponsorship and nice hat. He logged his progress down the Columbia. He burned something like 2 1/2 gallons of Texaco gas (this was a while ago) and spent less than 4 dollars on gas for the whole trip.

I have the motor and letter here, he still has the hat.

The motor goes to baja in 2 weeks for more adventures.

Interesting boats are interesting, but interesting times can be even better!

I have one of those! It is setup for a kayak by one of my crazy relatives.

True story: he carved a couple of props out from laminated veneers, got it right on the 2nd try. Thing moves out on a kayak, I could not keep up pulling hard on my 16' sliding seat rowboat.

He had contacts in the oil industry from his days at EPA in Alaska. Called somebody, asked for sponsorship. Texaco sent him $5.00 and a Texaco hat.

He took off from Portland with his weedeater-powered Klepper kayak. 96 miles later he is in Astoria.

After he got back home, he sent a letter to Texaco, thanking him for the sponsorship and nice hat. He logged his progress down the Columbia. He burned something like 2 1/2 gallons of Texaco gas (this was a while ago) and spent less than 4 dollars on gas for the whole trip.

I have the motor and letter here, he still has the hat.

The motor goes to baja in 2 weeks for more adventures.

Interesting boats are interesting, but interesting times can be even better!

Wow! [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Yes pretty tug, also Glen design one.
Difficult to find in Europe!

Im looking around for a boat design to build; has to be simple to construct and reasonably guick to build, and with a planing cruise speed(lol).... and metal ! I was looking at various ply designs including the lovely bateau trawler build on this forum, but the build time puts me off and I hate epoxy resin and all the hundreds of hours sanding down it involves.

GRP doesn't rock my boat; its a soulless material just like modern concrete and glass buildings . when I visit a marina I leave depressed by the banality and nastyness of GRP as a material. Would you sit on a plastic couch, or live in a plastic house?

So I'm really not looking for a GRP copy of a trawler , but a genuine metal design. If want a 15-20kts cruise that leaves alloy as the only option.

The Glen L is the only trad Tug design I've come across that can plane.

Any suggestions?

PS: I spend the winters in the SoF too, just west of Cannes.

Last edited:
Im looking around for a boat design to build; has to be simple to construct and reasonably guick to build, and with a planing cruise speed(lol).... and metal ! I was looking at various ply designs including the lovely bateau trawler build on this forum, but the build time puts me off and I hate epoxy resin and all the hundreds of hours sanding down it involves.

GRP doesn't rock my boat; its a soulless material just like modern concrete and glass buildings . when I visit a marina I leave depressed by the banality and nastyness of GRP as a material. Would you sit on a plastic couch, or live in a plastic house?

So I'm really not looking for a GRP copy of a trawler , but a genuine metal design. If want a 15-20kts cruise that leaves alloy as the only option.

The Glen L is the only trad Tug design I've come across that can plane.

Any suggestions?

PS: I spend the winters in the SoF too, just west of Cannes.

Material "Strongall" (= thick aluminium), from "Meta Chantier Naval" yard (in Tarare small town, north of Lyon town)
- Sweet trawler 36 (SD hull up to 9.5kn):
Meta Chantier Naval » SWEET TRAWLER 36

- Jolly 26 : one is for sale (ask photos to yard), boat on construction (owner had to stop his project), planning hull (engine>100hp), narrow side-decks (was mostly for river cruising), here is drawing:
Meta Chantier Naval » JOLLY BOAT

- (Brouns architect) MiniTroll 27: one Motor-Sailer (2 keels) with lay-out done I presume (in Normandy) is for sale, here is how she looks:
Meta Chantier Naval » MINITROLL 27

Last edited:
Interestingly, according to the Yachtworld listing she is designed and built in China, but looks right at home in the Netherlands.

Wuxi Oriental Boat Development Co., Ltd.

She appears different in the yard photos, note the missing mast, missing flybridge windscreen, and different helm design. I wonder if she went through a refit at some point.

Glen L 31 foot Union Jack can be built out of steel. Our 32 foot Eagle is the fiberglass version of the Union Jack. The Union Jack probably can be stretched about 10%.

Material "Strongall" (= thick aluminium), from "Meta Chantier Naval" yard (in Tarare small town, north of Lyon town)
- Sweet trawler 36 (SD hull up to 9.5kn):
Meta Chantier Naval » SWEET TRAWLER 36

- Jolly 26 : one is for sale (ask photos to yard), boat on construction (owner had to stop his project), planning hull (engine>100hp), narrow side-decks (was mostly for river cruising), here is drawing:
Meta Chantier Naval » JOLLY BOAT

- (Brouns architect) MiniTroll 27: one Motor-Sailer (2 keels) with lay-out done I presume (in Normandy) is for sale, here is how she looks:
Meta Chantier Naval » MINITROLL 27

Thanks for those links, some very interesting French designs in alloy. The Jolly looks like it might have potential.

Glen L 31 foot Union Jack can be built out of steel. Our 32 foot Eagle is the fiberglass version of the Union Jack. The Union Jack probably can be stretched about 10%.

Very pretty design:), but unfortunately too heavy to plane.

I second the idea of the Mini-Troll by JP Brouns. JP is a great designer and his boats are well engineered, META is a reputable yard.
JP is also a friend.
BTW, I am the designer of the TW28 and I would not compare her to a production fiberglass boat plus, epoxy is much nicer to work with than polyester.

I second the idea of the Mini-Troll by JP Brouns. JP is a great designer and his boats are well engineered, META is a reputable yard.
JP is also a friend.
BTW, I am the designer of the TW28 and I would not compare her to a production fiberglass boat plus, epoxy is much nicer to work with than polyester.

Jacquesm, nice you know JP Brouns!

I know him since the eighties, I was living in the Ardèche (dept) mountain not far from his small village.

Still looking for my next classic small river-boat...
His Mini-Troll would be nice, but the one for sale (MS) has got 2 bildge (side) keels 1m draft -> not so well for canal.
Is your TW28 design that was enlarged 2 ft to draw and build the grp production boat TW30 built in Turkey? (I was told quite recently they had to stop her building / political problems).

Last edited:
Yes, that Turkish yard was producing my designs without paying the royalties, more a legal problem than a "political" one.. I designed a lengthened version for them.
I am also working on a version with a longer pilothouse, shorter cockpit, galley upstairs.

JP is also a friend.

Conratulations on a fabulous design. :)

Ive only built a tiny ply dighy in stich and glue; no problem with the epoxy and the stiching process, but sanding the flat surfaces took for ever and created very nasty dusty working conditions. Unless you have a heated dehumidified shed the building season is limited to the late spring/ summer period which is why some of these projects take so many years to complete .

I can't conceive what it would be like sanding several hundred square ft of hull and superstructure. :(

Looks nice to my eyes.
Don't know about the design.

Attachments

• trawler.jpg
    trawler.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
The yellow paint is where the flybridge was :rofl:

The builder (Seahorse Marine, in China) now offers a flybridge option. (The option is a waste of money, IMO.)

The yellow paint is where the flybridge was :rofl:

Massive virility compensation was made, however, in the Coot's aggressive forward raked windshield and intimidating oversized mast.

Mark,
We shouldn't ever have mentioned fly bridges.
But my Willy was even a bigger mistake.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom