Old 09-13-2015, 12:52 PM   #2321
Scraping Paint

City: -
American Marine built the GB57 in both wood and glass. I don't know how many wood ones were built but only three were built in glass in the mid-1980s. First shot is a wood one, second shot is a glass one that was built in 1984. Note that in both cases, the boat has an open flying bridge. Far different than the massive, heavy flying bridge on the GB66.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442163096.435024.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	44458Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442163113.098089.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	44459

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:58 PM   #2322
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Hawgwash--- When I say the boat is essentially a lengthened GB52 I mean in its design. I do not know the beam of the GB66, but I expect the hull is somewhat wider than the GB52.
I was looking at that boat as perhaps being top heavy and any extra length not doing much to compensate for that.

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:58 PM   #2323
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
They are fiberglass. I don't know the exact year but the first new one appeared in our harbor for commissioning sometime during the 2000s. Mid-2000s as I recall. Our shipwright friend who was doing the commissioning work said that simply walking from one side of the flying bridge to the other set the boat to rolling rather alarmingly at the dock. He said the boat was originally intended to have an open flying bridge but the buyer insisted on a fully enclosed one.

The boat is in essence a lengthened GB52. In my opinion the GB design does not hold up aesthetically past 46 feet or so. Seen in person the GB66 is pretty ugly and awkward in my and most of the other people who were around at the time the boats were here's opinions. Most people felt the boat was a case of "mine's bigger than yours."
Marin

Having viewed (but not been aboard) many fairly large boats set up in similar "top-heavy" fashion it seems to me they were relatively stable regarding roll; while at dock, at anchor, or on the go. From that observation it makes me wonder if GB simply added the length while keeping same beam (producing a rather skinny round bottom boat) and in so doing created an even more round bottom added-area that would be conducive to increased ease of rolling. If that is so... a design mistake to be sure!

Our Tolly is pretty heavy up-top compared to some other boats. And, I/we (sometimes more than four persons) spend nearly all time on the bridge while cruising; as well as, spending much time while anchored on sundeck and bridge. Our boat is very stable under most (even in nearly all conditions, if I may say). This brings up another question about the GB66: Was its (like ours is) heavy equipment (engines, gen set, fuel/water/holding-tanks) set low in CofG in bilge? One other advantage our Tolly does have that helps eliminate roll is hard chines on wide beam with considerably flat area-bottom aft of amidships... 11 degree dead rise.

I'd like to see photos of CG66 bottom while on the hard; marine engineered drawings would be good too.

I tried to locate the GB66 picts of bottom but was unable. Have you a link or photo of this?
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:45 PM   #2324
Scraping Paint

City: -
I've seen one of the GB66s in the yard and as I recall the hull looked just like every other GB hull--- semi-planing, hard-chine, simply an enlargement of the 1964 Kenneth Smith-designed hull that's on every GB starting with the first 1966 GB woodies until the current models which use a very different underbody configuration.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:03 PM   #2325
Veteran Member

City: Seward, AK
Vessel Model: Custom 45' Steel Trawler
Saw this one operating in BC in 2009. I think it was a floating lodge operation.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3824.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	44480  
AKFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:06 PM   #2326
Veteran Member

This one was also pretty cool. I wish I had more pictures of it, as I'm not sure what it is.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3811.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	44482  
Old 09-13-2015, 05:06 PM   #2327

City: Seattle and Bellingham
Vessel Name: Klee Wyck and Libra
Vessel Model: Lowland 48 and Noordzee Kotter 52
Stand up engine room is nice but head needs remodeled. I covet his annual maintenance cost. Photo shot by a friend who just returned from Desolation. Refuge Cove is location of photo?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Walts yacht.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	44481  
Old 09-13-2015, 05:10 PM   #2328
Veteran Member

These are a couple of BC classics...interesting to me anyway. I think this is just entering Grenville channel south of Kitimet at a lifeboat station. Sorry to our BC brothers for any spelling errors...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3813.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	44483  
Old 09-13-2015, 05:12 PM   #2329
Veteran Member

This is my favorite tug conversion.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3805.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	44484  
Old 09-13-2015, 05:16 PM   #2330
Veteran Member

This vessel looks to be one of the more ocean capable craft I have seen that is not a Diesel Duck. It would have been nice to see the inside.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3796.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	44485  
Old 09-13-2015, 05:21 PM   #2331

City: Nokomis
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKFish View Post
This one was also pretty cool. I wish I had more pictures of it, as I'm not sure what it is.
It is a missionary ship.

Coastal Missions Society - Advancing the Gospel on the Coast
harbor950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:26 PM   #2332
Veteran Member

This was a nice looking slow boat in Anacortes, WA. Nice shear lines but I bet it catches the wind with that house.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3788.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	44487  
Old 09-13-2015, 06:28 PM   #2333
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Quote:
This is my favorite tug conversion.
As a long time tugboater and yacht enthusiast, I know the realities of tug conversions to yachts. What makes a good "Tug" is mutually exclusive of what makes a good yacht.
Tugs are deep draft, all engine room, ROUND bottom (or multi chine) and carry lots of fuel. They look like all "business", and they are but that doesn't translate to being seaworthy. Most tugs are designed for protected waterways and not to make passages. Some of the conversions that I see are accidents waiting to happen. Adding quarters up top to these boats is dangerous. A 6:1 gear with huge prop (good for towing but not for yachting) is a drain on anyones purse.
A common alteration is to minimize fuel tank and ballast capacity, again not what the naval architect had in mind.
The boat I currently work on is one of a few that is designed to go anywhere in the world, in pretty much any type of weather. It hold 242,000 gallons of fuel, 50,000 gallons of ballast water 15000 gallons of freshwater. She also draws 22'. What yacht port do you think they will let you in? I cry like a baby if our fuel gets down to 140,000 gallons and they send me to sea. We usually run around NY, local with 180-190,000 gallons. I have crossed the Atlantic 2 times with a tandem tow and never felt unsafe ( I have many times questioned my choice of careers however)
This is an extreme example but the numbers translate.
A good yacht is a fuel efficient, comfortable, and seaworthy vsl within its designed parameters.
Don't get me wrong, I love tugs, just not as yachts.
I
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:17 PM   #2334
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Quote:
This vessel looks to be one of the more ocean capable craft I have seen that is not a Diesel Duck. It would have been nice to see the inside.
Tuna troller
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:18 PM   #2335
Guru

Quote:
These are a couple of BC classics...interesting to me anyway. I think this is just entering Grenville channel south of Kitimet at a lifeboat station. Sorry to our BC brothers for any spelling errors...
Don't think so, those are US vessels......
Old 09-13-2015, 10:25 PM   #2336
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
This was a nice looking slow boat in Anacortes, WA. Nice shear lines but I bet it catches the wind with that house.

I have seen this one in Desolation Sound before.. it looked better in person than the perspective in this pic.. it looked very customized.
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:29 PM   #2337
Guru

Quote:
That's the Boyer Towing base in Ketchikan. The long low boat is Air Snipe (odd name) a submarine chaser from WWII. Odd choice for a towboat as well.....
Old 09-14-2015, 01:46 PM   #2338
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
As a long time tugboater and yacht enthusiast, I know the realities of tug conversions to yachts. What makes a good "Tug" is mutually exclusive of what makes a good yacht.
Tugs are deep draft, all engine room, ROUND bottom (or multi chine) and carry lots of fuel. They look like all "business", and they are but that doesn't translate to being seaworthy. Most tugs are designed for protected waterways and not to make passages. Some of the conversions that I see are accidents waiting to happen. Adding quarters up top to these boats is dangerous. A 6:1 gear with huge prop (good for towing but not for yachting) is a drain on anyones purse.
A common alteration is to minimize fuel tank and ballast capacity, again not what the naval architect had in mind.
A good yacht is a fuel efficient, comfortable, and seaworthy vsl within its designed parameters.
Don't get me wrong, I love tugs, just not as yachts.
I
Thanks, I often wondered about the wisdom or lack of, in converting a real tug to a cruiser. Knew it couldn't be fuel efficient. Didn't have a clue about the stability issue.

Ted
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:20 PM   #2339
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by West View Post
Didn't think the extra weight would have been a problem as the length compensates for that, my concern would be the ever present wind and the enclosed bridge acting as a sail.

Pretty sure it'a a glass hull.

How does length compensate for a top heavy design?
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:52 PM   #2340

City: Sausalito CA
Vessel Name: GRACE
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 EU
more on GB 66

"When the tooling was built for the Grand Banks 58, it was designed to extend in order to accommodate the extended cockpit, thus creating a 66 footer."

LOA 66'2"
LWL 61'8"
Beam 17'6"
Draft 5'9"
Disp 110,000 lbs
Water 423 gals
Fuel 2,070 gals