Insurance wants "Hurricane Plan!"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigfish

Vessel Name
My Lady
Vessel Make
Formosa 42 Double Cabin
Insurance quote for my new to me 42' Formosa "sundeck" trawler is $2100/year. More than I'd hoped but doable. However, they want to see a Hurricane Plan I'm going to be in a Marina here in Punta Gorda Florida and I'm not sure what that plan should consist of. Any ideas?

Also, the ad referred to "My Lady" as a double cabin Formosa, but it's just like all the sundeck designs I see and I see others called double cabin and most of those have a back cockpit area which my boat doesn't. I just don't have any cover over the sundeck. A "true" sundeck!

Thanks again to everybody for all your great input and insight.

PS Anybody in my area that would like to help me get familiar with all I need to know?

A hurricane plan depends on a lot of things. Which Marina? Burnt Store has some well protected slips. You may get by with showing that and how you would do lines and fenders to protect the boat. You may plan to haul out and tie down (that is my plan). I just have the below waterline work done after hauling. That makes it not a dead expense. Usually polish the hull sides too.

I'm not sure exactly where I'm going to put it. I looked at Burnt Store and liked it but I think I have a great deal here at Fisherman's village where it was when I bought it. I'm hoping to take off as soon as everything's done, hopefully less than a month. I also looked at a pretty interesting marina in the everglades, Port of the Islands Marina. Out of the way but I like that. I'll probably return to this area as I'm moving my shop here. Burnt Store was my first choice if I stayed in the area.

I Dunno! I haven't even moved here yet and know very little about the area. I'm really interested in exploring and fishing south of here so I'm looking in that direction. I also don't want to be too far from the open ocean as I don't like confined spaces or long runs to get out of them!

I don't like confined spaces or long runs to get out of them!

Big difference between the daily run for fun and a run to a hurricane hole in Florida..

To be effective the chosen location should be quite far from surge waters ,up past a couple of locks at least.

RFYC LABELLE

This is the commercial operation with in spitting distance of our home.

They provide commercial hurricane hole protection , at a price.

Homeowners in my area provide a similar service.

Besides the expense, the big PA is the bridges will not open over 35K of breeze , so you have to come early , and wait around to see IF the storm actually comes.

Most docks behind homes can not provide 240v 50a service.

So life at best is with 30A ,120V , while/if the power is on.

As the slip space must be kept open , for most the charge is the same as if you simply left the boat tied up all summer.

Usually $1000, for 5 months ( 20 weeks , $50 a week) of reserved space , any electric is by meter, 20c a KW.

Last edited:
I Dunno! I haven't even moved here yet and know very little about the area. I'm really interested in exploring and fishing south of here so I'm looking in that direction. I also don't want to be too far from the open ocean as I don't like confined spaces or long runs to get out of them!

Maybe you can "buy" a spot at one of those marinas if the big blow does come?

Anyone down there know anything about this?

Sorry FF, I completely missed your post.

Last edited:
That looks like a nice facility to have that close! I think I'm going to pull her out of the water at one of the storage yards around here. If it looks that bad. I suppose people start lining up and watching the news.. first come first served. Can't wait

And BeachBum, what difference would it make if I owned the slip??

Also talk to your insurance to see if they will help you with the expense of your "hurricane plane". Many companies will share the expense of a haul out and block to protect the boat.

I just got off the phone with them before you posted!! Good choice. Great place but first come first served... You can see why. I'm sure there'll be a line at the door when the big one comes this way. I'm still pretty confident in the hurricane repellent I've been using as it's worked flawlessly so far!

Your plan should consist of the best planned possible way to safeguard/secure the boat in the case of a big blow. Underwriters know and understand that plans can change- but the act of submitting a hurricane plan makes the insured take the time to think about it BEFORE a named storm occurs.

Your agent should have taken the time to chat with you about your plans as part of the underwriting process.

My agent talked with me briefly about it. One of the questions they ask on the form is, "If you're cruising and a storm threatens what will you do? I would think the first thing you would do is determine if you have enough time to reach a safe haven before it reaches you. If not, try to get as far out of the main path as possible. When the storm seems to be a threat to your safety point the bow into the waves and ride it out as best you can. Am I way off base? Pardon my ignorance...

Don't do that "pardon my ignorance" think here, Bigfish. We're all ignorant, one way or another. My insurance agent tells me that the safest place to have your boat during a hurricane, Statistically, is behind your residence where it can be cared for as things worsen, break, etc. etc... The insurance companies love tide-minder systems for absorbing surge. The second safest place, statistically, is a haul-out and block. I told him "sure, but what if one boat blows over and they all go over like dominos", and he said, "Yeah, that happens, but it is still "statistically" less damage than happens if the boat is left in the water unattended. If you can find a place where you can "attend" to the boat during the storm, I think they would honor such a plan. My Insurance is with Atlas here in FL, and I have coverage during named storms, albeit with a big deductible.

Don't do that "pardon my ignorance" think here, Bigfish. We're all ignorant, one way or another. My insurance agent tells me that the safest place to have your boat during a hurricane, Statistically, is behind your residence where it can be cared for as things worsen, break, etc. etc... The insurance companies love tide-minder systems for absorbing surge. The second safest place, statistically, is a haul-out and block. I told him "sure, but what if one boat blows over and they all go over like dominos", and he said, "Yeah, that happens, but it is still "statistically" less damage than happens if the boat is left in the water unattended. If you can find a place where you can "attend" to the boat during the storm, I think they would honor such a plan. My Insurance is with Atlas here in FL, and I have coverage during named storms, albeit with a big deductible.

Well put.

The form you (Bigfish) mentions sounds a bit silly; there is always ample warning before a named windstorm (hurricane) becomes a significant threat, so questions about "what you will do if you are cruising and a storm threatens..."
are telling me that the asker doesn't understand the relationship between a named windstorm and how the insurance policy will act/react.

By the time the hurricane is news, your boas will be secure (afloat or hauled), and you'll be on your way out of dodge to safety.

Another "one size fits all official form" created by someone who knows nothing about what he thinks he's supposed to be doing.

Another "one size fits all official form" created by someone who knows nothing about what he thinks he's supposed to be doing.

Indeed. If I may ask, who is writing the coverage?

Atlass Prime Time Lloyds Yacht insurance program for your Formosa.

Atlass Prime Time Lloyds Yacht insurance program for your Formosa.

There are domestic based markets that will write your coverage tat you may want to look into. We use Lloyds, but only as a market of last resort or for very unusual risks.

I'm not sure if I'm an unusual risk. The biggest boat I've owned before this one was a 17 footer so that might be a concern. I've had a lot of experience on my family's boats over the years though. This insurance guy was recommended by the broker who sold me the boat. I haven't signed anything yet but he just sent me everything to sign and return so he's done a certain amount of work on it. As an agent yourself what would you suggest I do at this point? The boat's uninsured at the moment I think. It's in the yard for a few more days but I'd like to get it covered asap... Does $2100 seem high??

Your ownership history is a potential concern, to be sure, and the agent may have placed the risk with Lloyd's because no domestic market was willing to take on the policy. As far as price, I can't say, as I don't have all the facts....

If you have the coverage ready to go, I'd say put it into place and get your vessel insured. Get some experience on your boat, don't have any losses, and shop the policy before the renewal. Experience will be your best friend in getting the lowest premium possible.

Thanks again... good advice!

A good alternative for passing boaters or cruisers with no money to obtain hurricane hole space is only 1/4 mile from our home, near the Ortona Lock.

There is a long deep canal that runs to a ex sand mine pit locally called "lollypop".Its visible on the chart, unnamed.

The holding is excellent as the bottom is good sand , tho a bit deep 40-60 ft.

The leading canal itself is very steep walled so would also make a great hide hole with room for a dozen boats at least.

The owners of the land are very casual, so going ashore and digging in a bunch of anchors would be no hassle.

Don't harvest the cattle tho!!

Also the canal walls are so steep tho only 8-10 ft high that being blown ashore would not be a big deal.

With "creative begging" the Ortona Lock tenders have been known to raise the water level so getting unstuck would be easier.

For the self insured , this might be a good plan.

Last edited:
Where are you FF??

About 1 mile East of the Ortona Lock .

Find River Forest procede to the next canal east , thats us .

Go another 1/4 mile East and its the entrance to Lollipop.

Come complete , rowing ashore the nearest store is La Belle 13 miles or Moore Haven 15 miles the other way.

Back
Top Bottom