Old 11-04-2011, 08:46 AM   #1

Insurance - Newbie question

Hello everyone,

Been lurking on the forum for a while now and have learned a lot. Without going into a long story now we are in the planning stages of buying a trawler type vessel.

Been on boats since I was 5 (now 40). Even worked on tugs for years and am still in the business but in the office side now. Grew up on a 36' Chris Craft. Past 10 years we have been into powerboating and currently own a 388 Hustler. Looking to slow down. Started looking at Sea Ray cruisers and similar but nothing really caught my eye. Stumbled onto some trawlers and really like the layout.

Anyways, on to my question. We live in Louisiana just north of New Olreans*so boat insurance is not cheap. We have a slip at our house on a river with acess to the gulf (about 60 miles). Playing with powerboats you get use to high insurance. We pay about $3K per year with a clean record. I have neighbors that pay three times as much.

Looking for who people are using for insurance on a trawler. Looking at 40-50'. Just trying to factor in insurance cost into the equation. Once we narrow down a specific model(s) I can start getting quotes. Just looking for insight at this point.

Thanks for all the great information.

Kieffer

(Just a pic of the latest in a long line of boats b/c everyine likes pics! )
Attached Thumbnails
boat.jpg  
Kieffer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #2

Insurance providers / cost

Hello everyone,

Been lurking on the forum for a while. Grew up on a 36 Chris Craft and have been in boating my whole life. Even worked on a boat for several years and both my wife and I are in the marine industry.

For the last 10 years we have been into powerboating (currently 388 Hustler) and are now looking to slow down. Was thinking the next boat would be an express cruiser but after looking around I really like the idea of a trawler. I've been reading everything I can find trying to be as informed as possible before shopping. My list of things I want in a trawler is taking shape and are starting to narrow down designs but* I will get into that later.

Being into performance boats and living just outside New Orleans we are not strangers to high insurance costs, ~3K per year. I have neighbors that pay three times as much.

Just looking to see who people are using for insurance. I have my concerns of what costs may be in the gulf region. Looking at $150-200K vessels 40'+/-. Just trying to factor in all costs.....

Thanks for any input and thanks for all the great info shared on the forum.

Attached Thumbnails
boat.jpg  
Old 11-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
RE: Insurance providers / cost

WOW!!! Cool boat. I bet you have an insurance bill with that baby.

My insurance is through All State. I don't know about what what the cost would be on the type of boat you are looking for. I would think it would break down to what you paid for the boat. With a modifier based on your experience.

Heck you can even get a discount for taking a USCG class.

SD

How fast does that boat go and can it handle any sort of a sea?
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:32 AM   #4

I'm currently with Progressive. They won't write a boat this size or speed but since I've had continuous coverage for so many years I'm kind of "grandfathered" in. Powerboat insurance can get pretty steep. Almost bought a 40' cat last year but got $7-8K per year insurance quotes even with a clean record. Blew the whole deal for me.

Although we live inland enough the trawler should be able to weather a storm okay, I worry being in the gulf region insurance could be outrageous. I know Progressive won't cover any damage from a named storm. Not a big deal with the current boat because we can pick it up and store it inside. A trawler though is another story. Just wondering if anyone else has similar experience.

Hustler runs mid 90's just about any time. Anything over 3' or so it starts to spend more time in the air than in the water and the ride gets a bit rough, especially when the other half start yelling at me to slow down.

Attached Thumbnails
boat 3.jpg  
Old 11-04-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
Scraping Paint

City: -

On the recommendation of the GB dealer who found our boat for us we have our yacht policy through Anchor Marine in Seattle. They are a broker, so shop for the best insurance coverage at the best price. They have changed us to a different provider about three times over the last 13 years. The cost has always been about $1,200 a year. While Anchor Marine is located in Seattle with a new office in Alaska, I believe they offer their service to the whole country.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Marin wrote:
On the recommendation of the GB dealer who found our boat for us we have our yacht policy through Anchor Marine in Seattle. They are a broker, so shop for the best insurance coverage at the best price. They have changed us to a different provider about three times over the last 13 years. The cost has always been about $1,200 a year. While Anchor Marine is located in Seattle with a new office in Alaska, I believe they offer their service to the whole country.
Thanks, that seems pretty reasonable.*
Old 11-04-2011, 01:35 PM   #7

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
RE: Insurance - Newbie question

Insurance costs have multible factors. Your location in a hurricane risk area is one, the speed of the boat is another, past claims, your experience ,and the value is another factor. By having more experience and slowing down, you should be able to lower your rates! I always suggest to clients to check with their current agent as you might have a personal relationship and at least they have your current track record for claims.
I would like to see a paint scheme on a trawler like your present boat!!
yachtbrokerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #8
Boat Bum

City: Kemah, Texas
Vessel Name: Traveling Star
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40

Kieffer,

I am also in the marine industry.* Are you related at someone that used to work for Ingram Barge a long time ago?*

I had trouble insuring my trawler due to the sevre damage sustainded during IKE.* I purchased the boat after it was salvaged.* I was turned down by a lot of insurance companies, even for liability only insurance.* I then turned to a marine insurace broker who works the Gulf Coast Kevin Severance.* He was able to take care of securing insurance.* might be worth the call

http://www.insurancenavigators.com/

Alfton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Alfton wrote:
Kieffer,

I am also in the marine industry.* Are you related at someone that used to work for Ingram Barge a long time ago?*

--------------------------

I work for Marquette Transportation, formerley part of Eckstein Marine. Been with Blessey and National Marine to name a few. Done business with Ingram for years and know quite a few folks over there.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:43 PM   #10
Boat Bum

City: Kemah, Texas
Vessel Name: Traveling Star
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40

I was just wondering if you were related to a guy named T-Bo Bailey.* Worked the river for Ingram, Great guy (most likely dead by now).
Alfton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Alfton wrote:
I was just wondering if you were related to a guy named T-Bo Bailey.* Worked the river for Ingram, Great guy (most likely dead by now).
*No relation that I am aware of......
Old 11-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #12
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38

I'm with Federated Agencies up here in Canada. We run a 38' Ocean Alexander and it cost us $1175/yr.
Ocean Breeze NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #13

Sorry for the two threads. I didnt think the first one posted. :no:
Old 11-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #14
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

I keep my 2003 Monk 36 in Houma I use Boat US insurance it runs about $4,200.00 a year.
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #15
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

I'm with American Marine in Ojai, CA (Travelers) and my bill (just paid it) was $941.00.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #16
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin

You need to compare apples with apples to get an idea of a competative policy.What's the excess on the policy and also what is the boat insured for.

Sarawana for instance is insured to $200K with a premium of $1875 pa. The policy excess is $1,000. She probably isn't worth $200K but that's the agreed replacement value. Only claims made within the last four years have to be disclosed on the insurance application. With insurance it is the fine print which determines the best policy for you and your boat.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #17
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38

My Insurance ( $1m coverage from soup to donuts ) has restrictions. It states access to all Canadian and US waters up to 100 miles of the mainland except for the following: the Fraser Rover east of the mouth of the Sumas River and the New York Harbour and the Hudson River below the Tappen Zee Bridge.

Anyone here got an idea for this exception? I don't know these areas.

Elwin
Ocean Breeze NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #18
Grand Vizier

Talk to Rich Haynie in Seattle. *Extremely conscientious and will find the best product for your boat, wherever you're located. *No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

http://www.richhaynieinsurance.com/
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:54 PM   #19
Scraping Paint

The Fraser River east of the Sumas is a braided, twisting, multi-channel labarinth with shifting bars and muddy water with litle or no depth visibiity. Take a look at it on Google Earth and you'll see why your insurance company doesn't want you going anywhere near this area. The mouth of the Sumas on the Fraser is at 49 09 31 54 N and 122 07 17 71 W

It is possible for boats and tugs to go upriver a few miles to the short river going north to huge Harrison Lake. But local knowledge is essential as this can be a very dangerous set of waterways. Willy on this forum can elaborate on the challenges of taking a boat east of the Sumas.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:11 PM   #20
Scraping Paint

Quote:
CPseudonym wrote:
Do most of you have your policy separate from your homeowners/auto provider?

Is there a specific type of policy required? Like full coverage comp. liability etc.
*Yes, our boat policy is totally separate from our house, auto, etc. insurance.

There are more or less two kinds of insurance.* There is "regular" insurance, sort like what you'd have on your car, and there is "yacht" insurance (that's what it's called, a "yacht policy.")

There are advantages to a yacht policy (don't ask me what they are because I've forgotten) which is why we got this type of insurance when we bought the boat 13+ years ago.* However that's not to say that "regular" insurance doesn't have it's advantages, too.* But it might be worthwhile for you to find out the differences and the advantages of each.

One thing to be mindful of regardless of what kind of insurance you get is the trend among marinas to require proof of insurance in order to get or retain a slip.* Some marinas even ask to be named on the policy but I wouldn't advise going that far.* We provide (actually our broker automatically provides) a copy of our policy to the Port of Bellingham and they seem to be happy with that even though in their form letter they say they need to be a named party on the policy.

Marinas are requiring this in case your boat breaks the marina (or burns it down).* It's a controversial subject among some boaters, but I don't care enough about it to take a position.* We're going to insure the boat anyway,* they're happy with a copy of the policy, we give it to them, end of story.