Old 11-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Since 2007, USAA has subcontracted their Marine insurance thru Progressive. I recommend looking elsewhere...
exept that dealing with them beats many other outfits hands down....of course they still have to live to the underwriters rules...but few if any better in your corner when you need someone.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
exept that dealing with them beats many other outfits hands down....of course they still have to live to the underwriters rules...but few if any better in your corner when you need someone.
Point taken, and I agree for the most part. However, since USAA subs the marine insurance to Progressive, you deal directly with Progressive, with little USAA intervention.

If USAA dealt with Markel or ACE Recreation Marine, we'd be with them in a heartbeat, as both companies have great liveaboard coverage. They already have my auto insurance, and we'd also bank with them.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Point taken, and I agree for the most part. However, since USAA subs the marine insurance to Progressive, you deal directly with Progressive, with little USAA intervention.

If USAA dealt with Markel or ACE Recreation Marine, we'd be with them in a heartbeat, as both companies have great liveaboard coverage. They already have my auto insurance, and we'd also bank with them.
USAA subbed our marine policy to Markel when Progressive stopped covering boats over 35 feet some years ago.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #24
Guru

As a follow-up and closure to this issue:
Boat US would not waive the survey and they would not change the surveyor despite my plea.
SO after NOT getting a call back from the surveyor, I called again at night when I suspected he would be home. He denied sending me a letter which I had in my hand when I called him (this guy is such an idiot).
Anyway we made an appointment for that Friday (the 15th) and he showed up on time. Having had a hip replacement, I didn't think he would make it up the ladder and into my boat thru the shrinkwrap door, but he finally made it.
The survey was bogus. 95% of it was going thru BOAT US's 6 or 7 page checklist of items, more like an equipment inventory than anything although there was a question about how the fuel tanks were secured in the boat. I had brought my original survey along and I read the line item that said "they are secured". I guess that was satisfactory.
He did take a quick look in the bilge in a couple of places.
Bottom line he made 3 recommendations that Boat US demands be corrected, according to the letter I received today. And they are not biggies in my opinion. I called them and they are OK with me waiting until springtime to get them done.

1) He found 2 wire nuts (that I installed) that he wants changed to crimp connectors. They are taped but I can change them to crimp style easy enough.
2) He recommended I add a fire extinguisher on the flybridge. Apparently Boat US says this is a requirement to be insured by them.
3) He recommended a CO detector in the sleeping area. Again apparently Boat US says this is one of their requirements.

So no big deal after all. The added fire extinguisher is a good idea, and so is the CO detector even though I have a diesel boat. I have worried at times of other boats running gas gensets on a still night in fairly close quarters, so this will ease my mind.
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #25

City: Jacksonville Fla
Vessel Name: The Office
Vessel Model: Marine Trader
Boat US

I like Tow Boat US and sometimes shop at West Marine when the price is right.
I do not understand the Boat US insurance. Our old boat a 1986 has coverage from American Modern. Is that good? We don't know as we had to get some insurance fast and then over the past year make repairs and renovation to a badly neglected boat. The survey when we bought the boat was "poor" condition. Now after sweat equity and many upgrades ($$$$) we want new insurance and a new survey. So we respond to Boat US's advertisements. Ask for a quote, send them the new survey amendments and get a quote per year of 10% of the agreed value. Six times our current policy that will pay for the boat's purchase price in a total loss. How can they stay in business?
The MTOA insurance would not take on the older boat with a poor survey. We are still talking a under $100K boat that stays in marinas on the ICW and out of Fla during the hurry cane season.
We had our previous boat 18 years with state farm in Fla. year round, Three claims yet never a increase but they could not insure unless a new boat. Travelers, USAA, Progressive, Allstate would not insure old boats.
I wish some one would simplify this insurance business
Autoteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #26

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Poach
Vessel Model: Sabreline Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidgear View Post
USAA subbed our marine policy to Markel when Progressive stopped covering boats over 35 feet some years ago.
I also insure with USAA--auto, home and umbrella. When I bought the current boat, I checked with USAA and they referred us to Markel. I found Markel not to be competitive vs. ACE, which is where we ended up. There was no premium discound offered for keeping it all within the USAA "family". That's not a knock on USAA--they are a great insurance company. I just have never felt that USAA really understands marine insurance above the towable boat market level. Of course, that's likely a conscious decision on their part that bigger boats lie outside their preferred business lines.
Poach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: San Antonio, Boat is located in Corpus Christi
Vessel Name: Bluebonnet
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Constellation 500
When it came time to insure my 1985 boat, here's the quote I got:
--> Boat US was for $5000
--> Foremost (from Farmers) was of $1600

This was an easy decision for me. However, Foremost required a survey and that I address most of the items the surveyor reported as a problem.
Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
When it came time to insure my 1985 boat, here's the quote I got:
--> Boat US was for $5000
--> Foremost (from Farmers) was of $1600

This was an easy decision for me. However, Foremost required a survey and that I address most of the items the surveyor reported as a problem.
And the survey is a requirement for most insurers for vessels over 27' and 10 years of age.

You'll want to read that Foremost policy very carefully- their language leaves a lot to be desired. Remember, low cost is only 1 factor in determining to get a policy- the other is how the policy covers you. I can tell you that Foremost doesn't offer much in the way of coverage.....

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #29

City: Hampton Bays, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Grand Yankee
Vessel Model: 1981 49' Grand Banks Classic
I had Boat US years ago and then went to Jack Martin INsurance, 410 626 1000. renee@jackmartin.com. They know what their doing. They are not there to just take your money and fill in the spaces. When my policy rates started to climb, I was called by Renee and told that they felt the rates were too high. They went and looked then found ACE Insurance and got me good coverage with an almost 50% saving. I am not speaking with an air head. They know their business. I will stay with them as long as I have a vessel.

Ron T is offline   Reply With Quote